The structure of area-minimizing double bubbles
- Michael Hutchings
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We show that the least area required to enclose two volumes in ℝn orS n forn ≥ 3 is a strictly concave function of the two volumes. We deduce that minimal double bubbles in ℝn have no empty chambers, and we show that the enclosed regions are connected in some cases. We give consequences for the structure of minimal double bubbles in ℝn. We also prove a general symmetry theorem for minimal enclosures ofm volumes in ℝn, based on an idea due to Brian White.
- Almgren, F.J. (1976) Existence and regularity almost everywhere of solutions to elliptic variational problems with constraints. Memoirs A.M.S. 4: pp. i-199
- Almgren, F.J. (1987) Spherical symmetrization. Supplemente ai Rend. Circ. Mat. di Palermo 15: pp. 11-25
- Athanassenas, M. (1987) A variational problem for constant mean curvature surfaces with free boundary. J. Reine Angew. Math. 377: pp. 97-107
- Bokowski, J., Sperner, E. (1979) Zerlegung konvexer Koerper durch minimale Trennflaechen. J. Reine. Angew. Math. 311: pp. 80-110
- G. Bredon,Topology and Geometry, Springer-Verlag, 1993.
- C. Cox, L. Harrison, M. Hutchings, S. Kim, J. Light, A. Mauer, and M. Tilton, The Standard triple bubble type is the least perimeter way to enclose three connected areas, NSF “SMALL” Undergraduate Research Geometry Group, Williams College, 1992.
- Cox, C., Harrison, L., Hutchings, M., Kim, S., Light, J., Mauer, A., Tilton, M. (1994) The shortest enclosure of three connected areas in ℝ2. Real Analysis Exchange 20: pp. 313-335
- Finn, R. (1989) Capillary Surfaces: A Partially Historical Survey. Symposia Mathematica. Academic Press, London, pp. 45-71
- J. Foisy,Soap Bubble Clusters in ℝ2 and ℝ3, undergraduate thesis, Williams College, 1991.
- Foisy, J., Alfaro, M., Brock, J., Hodges, N., Zimba, J. (1993) The standard double soap bubble in ℝ2 uniquely minimizes perimeter. Pacific J. Math. 159: pp. 47-59
- M. Gromov,Isoperimetric Inequalities in Riemannian Manifolds, Appendix I to Lecture Notes in Mathematics No. 1200. Springer-Verlag, 1986.
- J. Hass, Correspondence, 1994.
- Hass, J., Hutchings, M., Schlafly, R. (1995) The double bubble conjecture. Electron. Res. Announc. Amer. Math. Soc. 1: pp. 98-102 CrossRef
- J. Hass and R. Schlafly, Double bubbles minimize, preprint, 1995.
- J. Masters, Area-minimizing double bubbles in S2, preprint, 1994.
- Morgan, F. (1994) Soap bubbles in ℝ2 and in surfaces. Pacific J. Math. 165: pp. 347-361
- Morgan, F. (1994) Mathematicians, including undergraduates, look at soap bubbles. Amer. Math. Monthly 104: pp. 343-351 CrossRef
- F. Morgan, The double bubble conjecture,FOCUS, Math. Assoc. Amer., Dec. 1995.
- Taylor, J. (1976) The structure of singularities in soap-bubble-like and soap-film-like minimal surfaces. Ann. Math. 103: pp. 489-539 CrossRef
- Vogel, T. I. (1987) Stability of a liquid drop trapped between two parallel planes. SIAM J. Appl. Math. 47: pp. 516-525 CrossRef
- The structure of area-minimizing double bubbles
The Journal of Geometric Analysis
Volume 7, Issue 2 , pp 285-304
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Soap bubbles
- isoperimetric problems
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, Harvard University, 02138, Cambridge, MA