Simulation of ethanol production processes based on enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulosic materials using aspen plus
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The process simulator ASPEN PLUS was used for simulation of an ethanol production process based on enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulosic materials. The effect of water recycling, necessary to reduce the amount of waste water and to increase the ethanol concentration in the feed to the distillation, was investigated. For a process based on 20 t/h raw material, the amount of waste water can be reduced from 70.7 t/h, without recycling, to 7.1 t/h. Furthermore, the ethanol concentration in the distillation feed increased from 2.5 to 10%. The concentration of byproducts and possible inhibitors increased by a factor of 20–40 in the hydrolysis and fermentation steps. This gives new conditions for future hydrolysis and fermentation experiments.
- Mednick, R. L., Weiss, L. H., and Xippolitos, E. G. (1982),Chem. Eng. Prog. 78(8), 68.
- Purchase, B. S., Walford, S. N., and Waugh, E. J. (1986),Proc. Annu. Congr— S. Afr. Sugar Technol. Assoc. 60th, 33.
- Wright, J. D., Wyman, C. E., and Grohmann, K. (1987), US DOE, Report, Contract no. DE-AC02-83CH10093.
- Sattler, W., Esterbauer, H., Glatter, O., and Steiner, W. (1989),Biotech. Bioeng. 33, 1221. CrossRef
- Hogan, C. M., Mes-Hartree, M., Saddler, J. N., and Kushner, D. J. (1990),Appl. Microb. Biotech. 32(5), 614.
- Eklund, R., Galbe, M., and Zacchi, G. (1990),Enzyme. Microb. Technol. 12, 225–228. CrossRef
- Evans, B. L. (1988), CHEMDATA 88, XIX Conference on the Use of Computers in Chemical Engineering EFCE, 20-25.
- Byers, C. H. (1988),Appl. Biotechnol. Biochem. 18, 143–157. CrossRef
- Eklund, R., Galbe, M., and Zacchi, G. (1988),J. Wood Chem. Technol. 8(3), 379–392. CrossRef
- Grähs, L. E. (1976),Swedish Paper J. 79(4), 123–128.
- Linden, T., Peetre, J., and Hahn-Hägerdal, B. Isolation of yeasts from spent sulphite liquor (to be published).
- Eklund, R., Galbe, M., and Zacchi, G. (1990),Enzyme Microb. Technol. 12, 225–228. CrossRef
- Bu’lock, J. and Kristiansen, B. (1987),Basic Biotechnology, Academic, London, p. 320.
- Zacchi, G. and Axelsson, A. (1989),Biotechnol. Bioeng. 34, 223–233. CrossRef
- Busche, R. M. (1984),Biotechnol. Bioeng. Symp. Ser. 13, 597.
- Galbe, M. and Zacchi, G. Simulation of biotechnical processes for the production of ethanol (to be published).
- Simulation of ethanol production processes based on enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulosic materials using aspen plus
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 34-35, Issue 1 , pp 93-104
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Process simulation
- ASPEN PLUS
- recycling streams
- Industry Sectors