Atmospheric profile retrieval with AIRS data and validation at the ARM CART site
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The physical retrieval algorithm of atmospheric temperature and moisture distribution from the Atmospheric InfraRed Sounder (AIRS) radiances is presented. The retrieval algorithm is applied to AIRS clearsky radiance measurements. The algorithm employs a statistical retrieval followed by a subsequent nonlinear physical retrieval. The regression coefficients for the statistical retrieval are derived from a dataset of global radiosonde observations (RAOBs) comprising atmospheric temperature, moisture, and ozone profiles. Evaluation of the retrieved profiles is performed by a comparison with RAOBs from the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Program Cloud And Radiation Testbed (CART) in Oklahoma, U. S. A. Comparisons show that the physicallybased AIRS retrievals agree with the RAOBs from the ARM CART site with a Root Mean Square Error (RMSE) of 1 K on average for temperature profiles above 850 hPa, and approximately 10% on average for relative humidity profiles. With its improved spectral resolution, AIRS depicts more detailed structure than the current Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite (GOES) sounder when comparing AIRS sounding retrievals with the operational GOES sounding products.
- Ackerman, S. A., K. I. Strabala, W. P. Menzel, R. A. Frey, C. C. Moeller, and L. E. Gumley, 1998: Discriminating clear sky from clouds with MODIS.J. Geophys. Res.,103, 32141–32157. CrossRef
- Aumann, H. H., and Coauthors, 2003: AIRS/AMSU/HSB on the Aqua Mission: Design, science objectives, data products, and processing systems.IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens.,41(2), 253–264. CrossRef
- Borbas, E., P. Menzel, andJ. Li, 2002: A space-based GPS meteorological application.Quarterly Journal of the Hungarian Meteorological Service,105, 231–242.
- Goldberg, M. D., Y. Qu, L. M. McMillin, W. Wolf, L. Zhou, and M. Divakarla, 2003: AIRS nearreal-time products and algorithms in support of operational numerical weather predication.IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens.,41(2), 379–389. CrossRef
- King, M. D., and Coauthors, 2003: Cloud and aerosol properties, precipitable water, and profiles of temperature and water vapor from MODIS.IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens.,41(2), 442–458. CrossRef
- Li Jun, and Huang Hung Lung, 1999: Retrieval of atmospheric profiles from satellite sounder measurements by use of the discrepancy principle.Appl. Opt.,38(6), 916–923. CrossRef
- Li, J., W. Wolf, W. P. Menzel, W. Zhang, Huang Hung Lung, and T. H. Achtor, 2000: Global soundings of the atmosphere from ATOVS measurements: The algorithm and validation.J. Appl. Meteor.,39, 1248–1268. CrossRef
- Li, J., J. P. Nelson, C. C. Schmit, T. J. Schmit, and W. P. Menzel, 2004a: An approach to improve temperature and moisture retrievals from GOES sounder measurements.13th Conference on Satellite Meteorology and Oceanography, Norfolk, VA, 20–23 September 2004, American Meteorological Society, P. 8.5.
- Li Jun, Wang Fang, T. J. Schmit, W. P. Menzel and J. J. Gurka, 2004b: Vertical resolution study on the GOESR hyperspectral Environment Suite.SPIE Proceeding 5658, Applications with Weather Satellite II, 9–11 November 2004, Honolulu, Hawaii, 57–65.
- Li, J., W. P. Menzel, F. Sun, T. J. Schmit, and J. Gurka, 2004c: AIRS subpixels cloud characterization using MODIS cloud products.J. Appl. Meteor.,43, 1083–1094. CrossRef
- Li, J., C. Liu, T. J. Schmit, J. J. Gurka, and W. P. Menzel, 2005: Optimal cloud clearing for AIRS radiances using MODIS.IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens.,43(6), 1266–1278. CrossRef
- Platnick, S., M. D. King, S. A. Ackerman, W. P. Menzel, B. A. Baum, J. C. Riedi, and R. A. Frey, 2003: The MODIS cloud products: Algorithms and examples from Terra.IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens.,41(2), 459–473. CrossRef
- Rothman, L. S., and Coauthors, 1998: The HITRAN Molecular Spectroscopic Database and HAWKS (HITRAN Atmospheric Workstation): 1996 edition.Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative,60, 665–710. CrossRef
- Seemann, S. W., J. Li, W. P. Menzel, and L. E. Gumley, 2003: Operational retrieval of atmospheric temperature, moisture, and ozone from MODIS infrared radiances.J. Appl. Meteor. 42, 1072–1091. CrossRef
- Strow, L. L., S. E. Hannon, S. De Souza-Machado, H. E. Motteler, and D. Tobin, 2003: An overview of the AIRS radiative transfer model.IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens.,41(2), 303–313. CrossRef
- Susskind, J., C. Barnet, and J. Blaisdell, 2003: Retrieval of atmospheric and surface Parameters From AIRS/AMSU/HSB Data in the Presence of Clouds.IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens.,41(2), 390–409. CrossRef
- Wang, F., J. Li, and T. J. Schmit, 2005: Trade-off study on vertical resolution for high spectral environment suite.21st IIPS for Meteorology, Oceanography, and Hydrology, 9–13 January 2005, San Diego, California, AMS, 46.
- Wu Xuebao, Li Jun, Zhang Fengying, Zhang Wenjian, and Zhu Yuanjing, 2004: Inversion of moisture profiles by a nonlinear iterative physical retrieval.Acta Meteorological Sinica,18(2), 129–140.
- Zhou, D. K., W. L. Smith, J. Li, G. W. Cantwell, A. M. Larar, J.-J. Tsou, and S. Mango, 2003: Thermodynamic product retrieval methodology and validation for NASTI.Appl. Opt.,41, 6957–6967. CrossRef
- Atmospheric profile retrieval with AIRS data and validation at the ARM CART site
Advances in Atmospheric Sciences
Volume 22, Issue 5 , pp 647-654
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Science Press
- Additional Links
- physical retrieval
- atmospheric profile
- and ARM CART site
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Atmospheric Science, Peking University, 100871, Beijing
- 2. National Satellite Meteorological Center, 100081, Beijing
- 3. Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison, WI53706, Madison