Intraseasonal oscillation in the tropical Indian Ocean
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The features of the intraseasonal oscillation (ISO) of the tropical Indian Ocean are studied using several sources of observational data. It is shown that there are intraseasonal oscillations in the tropical Indian Ocean, but their periods vary with latitude: the major period is about 20–30 days in the equatorial region, about 30–50 days at 10°N/10°S latitude and 60–90 days at 20°N/20°S latitude. The intensity of the ISO increases with latitude but the speed of the westward propagation of the ISO decreases with latitude. The intensity and propagation speed of the ISO have clear interannual variation features. The atmospheric intraseasonal oscillation over the tropical Indian Ocean is also analyzed and compared with the oceanic intraseasonal oscillation. It is shown that the major period is in the range 30–60 days and the intensity and period of the atmospheric ISO decrease with latitude slightly. The zonal propagation of the atmospheric ISO also has some differences with the oceanic ISO. It is necessary to study the relationship between the atmospheric ISO and oceanic ISO in the tropical Indian Ocean deeply.
- Brandt, P., M. Dengler, A. Rubino, D. Quadfasel, and F. Schott, 2003: Intraseasonal variability in the south-western Arabian Sea and its relation to the seasonal circulation.Deep Sea Research, Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography,50, 2129–2141. CrossRef
- Chen Longxun, and Xie An, 1988: Westward propagating low-frequency oscillation and its teleconnection in the Eastern Hemisphere.Acta Meteorologica Sinica,2, 300–312.
- Fu, X., B. Wang, T. Li, and J. P. McCreary, 2003: Coupling between northward-propagating, intraseasonal oscillation and sea surface temperature in the Indian Ocean.J. Atmos. Sci.,60, 1733–1753. CrossRef
- Hirst, A. C., and K. M. Lau, 1990: Intraseasonal and interannual oscillations in coupled ocean-atmosphere models.J. Climate,3, 713–725. CrossRef
- Hu Ruijin, and Liu Qingyu, 2002: Annual and intraseasonal variations in sea surface height over the tropical Pacific.Oceanologia et Limnologia Sinica,33, 303–313.
- Kindle, J. C., and P. A. Phoebus, 1995: The ocean response to operational westerly wind bursts.J. Geophys. Res.,100, 4893–4920. CrossRef
- Knuston, T. R., and K. M. Weickmann, 1987: 30–60 day atmospheric oscillations: Composite life cycles of convection and circulation anomalies.Mon. Wea. Rev.,115, 1407–1436. CrossRef
- Krishnamurti, T. N., and D. Subrahmann, 1982: The 30–60 day mode at 850 mb during MONEX.J. Atmos. Sci.,39, 2088–2095. CrossRef
- Lau, N. C., and K. M. Lau, 1986: The structure and propagation of oscillation appearing in a GFDL general circulation model.J. Atmos. Sci.,43, 2023–2047. CrossRef
- Lau, K. M., and P. H. Chan, 1988: Intraseasonal and interannual variations of tropical convection: A possible link between the 40–50 day oscillation and ENSO?J. Atmos. Sci.,45, 506–521. CrossRef
- Lau, K. M., and S. Yang, 1996: Seasonal variation, abrupt transition and intraseasonal variability associated with the Asian summer monsoon in the GLA GCM.J. Climate,9, 965–985. CrossRef
- Li Chongyin, 1991:Low-Frequency Oscillation in the Atmosphere. China Meteorological Press, Beijing, 286pp. (in Chinese)
- Li Chongyin, 2004: Some new progresses in studies on the atmospheric intraseasonal oscillation.Progress in Natural Science,14, 734–741.
- Li Chongyin, and Liao Qinghai, 1996: Behaviour of coupled modes in a simple nonlinear air-sea interaction model.Adv. Atmos. Sci.,13, 183–195. CrossRef
- Li Chongyin, and Li Guilong, 1997: Evolution of intraseasonal oscillation over the tropical western Pacific/South China Sea and its effect to the summer precipitation in Southern China.Adv. Atmos. Sci.,14, 246–254. CrossRef
- Li Chongyin, Long Zhenxia, and Zhang Qingyun, 2001: Strong/weak summer monsoon activity over the South China Sea and atmospheric intraseasonal oscillation.Adv. Atmos. Sci.,18, 1146–1160. CrossRef
- Li Wei, and Yu Yongqiang, 2001: Intraseasonal oscillation in a coupled general circulation model.Chinese J. Atmos. Sci.,25, 118–132. (in Chinese)
- Liu Qingyu, and Wang Qi, 1999: Spatial distribution of the sea surface height intraseasonal oscillation in the tropical Pacific.Journal of Ocean University of Qingdao,29, 549–555. (in Chinese)
- Long Zhenxia, and Li Chongyin, 2002: Interannual variations of tropical atmospheric 30–60 day low-frequency oscillation and ENSO cycle.Chinese J. Atmos. Sci.,26, 51–62.
- Madden, R. A., and P. R. Julian, 1971: Detection of 40–50 day oscillation in the zonal wind in the tropical Pacific.J. Atmos. Sci.,28, 702–708. CrossRef
- Madden, R. A., and P. R. Julian, 1994: Observations of the 40–50 day tropical oscillation—A review.Mon. Wea. Rev.,112, 814–837. CrossRef
- Murakami, T., T Nakazawa, and J. He, 1984: On the 40–50 day oscillations during the 1979 Northern Hemisphere summer, part 1: Phase propagation.J. Meteor. Soc. Japan,62, 440–468.
- Murakami, T., L. Chen, A. Xie, and M. L. Shrestha, 1986: Eastward propagation of 30–60 day perturbations as revealed from outgoing longwave radiation data.J. Atmos. Sci.,43, 961–971. CrossRef
- Sengupta, D., R. Senan, and B. N. Goswami, 2001: Origin of intraseasonal variability of circulation in the tropical central Indian Ocean.Geophys. Res. Lett.,28, 1267–1270. CrossRef
- Sun Jilin, and Liu Qinyu, 1996: Characteristics of intraseasonal variations in the mixed layer of “warm pool” areas.Oceanologia et Limnologia Sinica,14, 367–372. CrossRef
- Wang, B., and X. Xie, 1998: Coupled modes in the warm pool climate system, Part I: The role of air-sea interaction in maintaining Madden-Julian oscillation.J. Climate,11, 2116–2135. CrossRef
- Xie, S. P., H. Annamalai, F. A. Schott, and J. P. Mc-Creary, 2002: Structure and mechanisms of South Indian Ocean climate variability.J. Climate,15, 864–878. CrossRef
- Intraseasonal oscillation in the tropical Indian Ocean
Advances in Atmospheric Sciences
Volume 22, Issue 5 , pp 617-624
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Science Press
- Additional Links
- intraseasonal oscillation
- tyopical Indian ocean
- atmospheric ISO
- oceanic ISO
- Author Affiliations
- 1. State Key Laboratory of Numerical Modeling for Atmospheric Sciences and Geophysical Fluid Dynamics (LASG), Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 100029, Beijing
- 2. Institute of Meteorology, PLA University of Science and Technology, 211101, Nanjing
- 3. Physical Oceanography Laboratory & Ocean- Atmosphere Interaction and Climate Laboratory, Ocean University of China, 266003, Qingdao