Design of microstereolithography system based on dynamic image projection for fabrication of three-dimensional microstructures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
As demands for complex microstructures with high aspect ratios have increased, the existing methods, MEMS and LIGA, have had difficulties coping with the number of masks and fabricable heights. A microstereolithography technology can meet these demands because it has no need of masks and is capable of fabricating high aspect ratio microstructures. In this technology, 3D part is fabricated by stacking layers, 2D sections, which are sliced from STL file, and the Dynamic Image Projection process enables the resin surface to be cured by a dynamic image generated with DMD™ (Digital Micromirror Device) and one irradiation. In this paper, we address optical design process for implementing this microstereolithography system that takes the light path based on DMD operation and image-formation on the resin surface using an optical design program into consideration. To verify the performance of this implemented microstereolithography system, complex 3D microstructures with high aspect ratios were fabricated.
- Bertsch, A., Jezequel, J. Y., Andre, J. C. (1997) Study of the Spatial Resolution of a New 3D Microfabrication Process: the Microstereophotolithography Using a Dynamic Mask-Generator Technique. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry 107: pp. 275-281 CrossRef
- Bertsch, A., Bernhard, P., Vogt, C., Renaud, P. (2000) Rapid Prototyping of Small Size Objects. Rapid Prototyping Journal 6: pp. 259-266 CrossRef
- Bertsch, A., Jiguet, S., Renaud, P. (2004) Microfabrication of Ceramic Components by Microstereolithography. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 14: pp. 197-203 CrossRef
- Choi, J. W., Ha, M. Y., Won, M. H., Choi, K. H. and Lee, S. H., 2005, “Fabrication of 3-Dimensional Microstructures using Dynamic Image Projection,”Proceeding of the 1st International Conference on Precision Engineering and Micro/Nano Technology in Asia, Shenzhen, China, pp. 472–476.
- Farsari, M., Claret-Tournier, F., Huang, S., Chatwin, C. R., Budgett, D.M., Birch, P.M., Young, R. C. D., Richardson, J. D. (2000) A Novel High-Accuracy Microstereolithography Method Employing an Adaptive Electro-optic Mask. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 107: pp. 167-172 CrossRef
- Fischer, R. E. and Tadic-Galeb, B., 2000,Optical System Design, McGraw-Hill, pp. 35–47.
- Ikuta, K. and Hirowatari, K., 1993, “Real Three Dimensional Micro Fabrication Using Stereolithography and Metal Molding,”Proceedings of the 6th IEEE Workshop on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS’93), pp. 42–47.
- Ikuta, K., Ogata, T., Tsuboi, M. and Kojima, S., 1996, “Development of Mass Productive Micro Stereo Lithography,”Proceedings of the 8th IEEE Workshop on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS’96), Piscataway, NJ, USA, pp. 301–306.
- Ikuta, K., Maruo, S. and Kojima, S., 1998, “New Micro Stereo Lithography for Freely Movable 3D Micro Structure — Super IH Process with Submicron Resolution,”Proceedings of the 11th IEEE Workshop on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS’98), Heidelberg, Germany, pp. 290–295.
- Ikuta, K., Maruo, S., Fujisawa, T. and Yamada, A., 1999, “Micro Concentrator with Opto-Sense Micro Reactor for Biochemical IC Chip Family — 3D Composite Structure and Experimental Verification,”Proceedings of the 12th IEEE Workshop on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS ’99), Orlando, Florida, USA, pp. 376–381.
- Kim, D. S., Lee, I. H., Kwon, T. H., Cho, D. W. (2005) Development of a Three-Dimensional Barrier Embedded Kenics Micromixer by Means of a Micro-Stereolithography Technology. Journal of KSME A 29: pp. 904-912
- Lee, I. H., Cho, Y. H., Cho, D.W., Lee, E. S. (2004) Development of Micro-Stereolithography System for the Fabrication of Three-Dimensional Micro-Structures. Journal of KSPE 21: pp. 171-179
- Lee, I. H., Cho, D. W. (2004) An Investigation on Photopolymer Solidification Considering Laser Irradiation Energy in Micro-Stereolithography. Microsystem Technologies 10: pp. 592-598 CrossRef
- Limaye, A. S., 2004,Design and Analysis of a Mask Projection Micro-Stereolithography System, M.S. Thesis, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Maruo, S., Ikuta, K., Korogi, (2003) Force-Controllable, Optically Driven Micromachines Fabricated by Single-Step Two-Photon Microstereolithography. Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems 12: pp. 533-539 CrossRef
- Oda, G., Miyoshi, T., Takaya, Y., Ha, T. H., Kimura, K. (2004) Microfabrication of Overhanging Shape using LCD Microstereolithography. 5th International Symposium on Laser Precision Microfabrication, Proceedings of SPIE 5662: pp. 649-654
- Park, S. H., Lim, T. W., Yang, D. W. (2005) Fabrication of Three-Dimensional Micro-Shell Structures Using Two-Photon Polymerization. Journal of KSME A 29: pp. 998-1004
- Park, S. H., Lim, T. W., Yang, D. Y. (2006) Investigation into Direct Fabrication of Nano-Patterns Using Nano-Stereolithography (NSL) Process. Journal of KSPE 23: pp. 156-162
- Provin, C., Monneret, S. (2002) Complex Ceramic-Polymer Composite Microparts Made by Microstereolithography. IEEE Transactions on Electronics Packaging Manufacturing 25: pp. 59-63 CrossRef
- Smith, L. B., 2004,Micro-Cross-Sectional Lithography (μCSL™): Prototyping and Packaging for MEMS, Ph. D. Thesis, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
- Sun, C., Zhang, X. (2002) Experimental and Numerical Investigations on Microstereolithography of Ceramics. Journal of Applied Physics 92: pp. 4796-4802 CrossRef
- Sun, C., Fang, N., Wu, D. M., Zhang, X. (2005) Projection Micro-Stereolithography Using Digital Micro-Mirror Dynamic Mask. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical 121: pp. 113-120 CrossRef
- Varadan, V. K., Jiang, X. and Varadan, V. V., 2001,Microstereolithography and other Fabrication Techniques for 3D MEMS, Wiley.
- Zhang, X., Jiang, X. N., Sun, C. (1999) Micro-Stereolithography of Polymeric and Ceramic Microstructures. Sensors and Actuators 77: pp. 149-156 CrossRef
- Design of microstereolithography system based on dynamic image projection for fabrication of three-dimensional microstructures
Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology
Volume 20, Issue 12 , pp 2094-2104
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Additional Links
- Digital Micromirror Device (DMD)
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mechanical and Intelligent Systems Engineering, Pusan National University, San 30 Jangjeon-dong, Geumjeong-gu, 609-735, Busan, Korea
- 2. School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University, San 30 Jangjeondong, Geumjeong-gu, 609-735, Busan, Korea
- 3. Department of Mechatronics Engineering, Cheju National University, Jejudaehakno, Jeju-si, 690-756, Jeju-do, Korea