Applicability of butler’s equation in interpreting the thermodynamic behavior of surfaces and adsorption in Fe-S-O melts
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Expressions for various second-order derivatives of surface tension with respect to composition at infinite dilution in terms of the interaction parameters of the surface and those of the bulk phases of dilute ternary melts have been presented. A method of deducing the parameters, which consists of repeated differentiation of Butler’s equations with subsequent application of the appropriate boundary conditions, has been developed. The present investigation calculates the surface tension and adsorption functions of the Fe-S-O melts at 1873 and 1923 K using the modified form of Butler’s equations and the derived values for the surface interaction parameters of the system. The calculated values are found to be in good agreement with those of the experimental data of the system. The present analysis indicates that the energetics of the surface phase are considerably different from those of the bulk phase. The present research investigates a critical compositional range beyond which the surface tension increases with temperature. The observed increase in adsorption of sulfur with consequent desorption of oxygen as a function of temperature above the critical compositional range has been ascribed to the increase of activity ratios of oxygen to sulfur in the surface relative to those in the bulk phase of the system.
- M. Guttmann:Surf. Sci., 1975, vol. 53, pp. 213–27. CrossRef
- W.M. Small, P. Sahoo, and K. Li:Scripta. Metall. Mater., 1990, vol. 24, pp. 1155–58. CrossRef
- P. Sahoo, T. Debroy, and M.J. McNallan:Metall. Trans. B. 1988. vol. 19B, pp. 483–91. CrossRef
- K.S. Yeum, R. Speiser, and D.R. Poirier:Metall. Trans. B., 1989. vol. 20B, pp. 693–703. CrossRef
- J.A.V. Butler:Proc. R. Soc., 1935, vol. A135, pp. 348–75.
- H.K. Lee, J.P. Hajra, and M. Frohberg:Z. Metallkde., 1992, vol. 83 (8), pp. 638–43.
- K.M. Gupt, V.I. Yavoiski, A.F. Vishkaryov, and S.A. Blignukov:Trans. Ind. Inst. Met., 1976, vol. 29, pp. 286–91.
- C.H.P. Lupis:Chemical Thermodynamics of Materials, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1983.
- W.A. Fischer and W. Ackermann:Arch. Fur. das Eisen., 1966. vol. 37 (10), p. 779.
- B.J. Keene, K.C. Mills, J.W. Bryant, and E.D. Hondros:Can. Met. Q., 1982, vol. 21, pp. 393–403.
- Applicability of butler’s equation in interpreting the thermodynamic behavior of surfaces and adsorption in Fe-S-O melts
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B
Volume 27, Issue 2 , pp 241-253
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors