Weight gain after laparoscopic cholecystectomy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Introduction Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC) relieves symptomatic cholelithiasis (SC) but may facilitate postoperative gluttony.
Aim To examine changes in body mass index (BMI) and general health of a cohort of patients three years after uncomplicated LC for SC.
Methods Patients were studied three years after uncomplicated LC and compared to age- and gender-matched controls who had undergone non-biliary surgery.Results Forty-two patients and 42 controls were studied. The mean age of the patients was 55 years (range 29–82) versus 54 years (25–82) for controls. Patients undergoing LC increased their mean BMI by 1.8kg/m2. Females were particularly likely to gain weight (mean change in BMI=+2.1), with no significant difference being found between premenopausal and postmenopausal women. Of the 24 LC patients who claimed to continue their low fat diet, the mean BMI changed from 27.6 to 29.6kg/m2. The mean BMI of the 17 people who claimed regular exercise changed less markedly (+1.4) than those who admitted infrequent exercise (+2.1).
Conclusion Selection for LC may identify patients at risk of continuing or resumed aetiological contributors to obesity. Follow-up long after the surgery may therefore be necessary to facilitate additional healthcare interventions.
- Gui GP, Cheruvu CV, West N et al. Is cholecystectomy effective treatment for symptomatic gallstones? Clinical outcome after long-term follow up.Ann R Coll Surg Engl 1998; 80 (1): 25–32.
- Victorzon M, Lundin M, Haglund C et al. Short and long term outcome after laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Ann Chir Gynaecol 1999; 88 (4): 259–83.
- Syngal S, Coakley EH, Willett WC et al. Long-term weight patterns and risk for cholecystectomy in women.Ann Intern Med 1999; 130 (6): 471–7.
- Togerson JS, Lindross AK, Naslund I, Peltonen M. Gallstones, gallbladder disease and pancreatitis: cross-sectional and two-year datafrom the Sewdish Obese Subjects (SOS) and SOS reference studies.Am J Gastroenterol 2003; 98 (5): 1032–41.
- Richardson WS, Carter KM, Helm B et al. Risk factors for gallstone disease in the laparoscopicera.S urg Endosc 2002; 16 (3): 450–2. CrossRef
- Stein TA, Nilsson LO, Burns GP et al. Changes in bile salt composition after cholecystectomy and ileal resection.Am J Surg 1985; 150 (3): 361–4. CrossRef
- Fort JM, Azpiroz F, Casellas F et al. Bowel habit after cholecystectomy: physiological changes and clinical implications.Gastroenterology 1996; 111 (3): 617–22. CrossRef
- Arlow FL, Dekovich AA, Priest RJ, Beher WT. Bile acid-mediated postcholecystectomy diarrhea.Arch Intern Med 1987; 147 (7): 1327–9. CrossRef
- Sciarretta G, Furno A, Mazzoni M, Malaguti P. Post-cholecystectomy diarrhoea: evidence of bile acid malabsorption assessed by SeHCAT test.Am J Gastroenterol 1992; 87 (12): 1852–4.
- Sauter GH, Moussavian AC, Meyer G et al. Bowel habits and bile acid malabsorption in the months after cholecystectomy.Am J Gastroenterol 2002; 97 (7): 1732–5. CrossRef
- Hearing SD, Thomas LA, Heaton KW et al. Effect of cholecystectomy on bowel function: a prospective, controlled study.Gut 1999; 45: 889–94. CrossRef
- Fromm H, Tunuguntla AK, Malavolti M et al. Absence of significant role of bile acids in diarrhoea of a heterogeneous group of postcholecystectomy patients.Dig Dis Sci 1987; 32 (1): 33–44. CrossRef
- Berr F, Stellaard F, Pratschke E, Paumgartner G. Effects of cholecystectomy on the kinetics of primary and secondary bile acids.J Clin Invest 1989; 83 (5): 1541–50. CrossRef
- Kullak-Ublick GA, Paumgartner G, Berr F. Long-term effects of cholecystectomy on bile acid metabolism.Hepatology 1995; 21 (1): 41–5.
- Houghton PWJ, Donaldson LA, Jenkinson LR, Crumplin MKH. Weight gain after cholecystectomy.BMJ 1984; 289 (6455): 1350. CrossRef
- Ros E, Zambon D. Postcholecystectomy symptoms. A prospective study of gallstone patients before and two years after surgery.Gut 1987; 28 (11): 1500–4. CrossRef
- Niranjan B, Chumber S, Kriplani AK. Symptomatic outcome after laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Trop Gastroenterol 2000; 21 (3): 144–8.
- Weight gain after laparoscopic cholecystectomy
Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 173, Issue 1 , pp 9-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors