A primer-based approach to genome walking
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A genome walking strategy based on annealing and ligation of single-stranded DNA primers to 3′ overhangs following restriction endonuclease digestion was developed. A set of primers contains 4 nucleotides at the 3′ end that are complementary to overhangs formed by restriction endonucleasesApaI;PstI;SacI andSphI. Following ligation, 5′ end overhangs are formed on the DNA, which serves as sites for the adaptor primers and nested primers for PCR amplification in combination with the gene-specific primers. This strategy was verified by the amplification of up to 4 kb of a potato leafroll virus full-length infectious clone. The procedure could be adopted to target any upstream and downstream regions flanking known sequences within the plant genome.
- Anonymous (2006) New England Biolabs catalogue and technical reference. http://www.neb.com/nebecomm/tech_reference/restriction_enzymes/frequency_of_restriction_sites.asp
- Arnold C and Hodgson IJ (1991) Vectorette PCR: a novel approach to genomic walking. PCR Methods and Applications 1:39–42.
- Ashoub A (2003) Full-length Sequence of Egyptian Potato Leafroll Virus (PLRV) Isolate. Arab J Biotech 6: 173–182.
- Lundberg KS, Shoemaker DD, Short JM, Sorge JA, Adams MWW, and Mathur E (1991) High fidelity amplification with a thermostable DNA polymerase isolated fromPyrococcus furiosus. Gene 108: 1–6. CrossRef
- Ochman H, Gerber AS, and Hartl DL (1988) Genetic applications of an inverse polymerase chain reaction. Genetics 120: 621–623.
- Riley J, Butler R, Ogilvie D, Finniear R, Jenner D, Powell S, Anand R, Smith JC, and Markham AF (1990) A novel, rapid method for the isolation of terminal sequences from yeast artificial chromosome (YAC) clones. Nucleic Acids Res 18: 2887–2890. CrossRef
- Rishi AS, Nelson ND, and Goyal A (2004) Genome walking of large fragments: an improved method. J Biotech 111: 9–15. CrossRef
- Töpfer R, Matzeit V, Gronenborn B, Schell J, and Steinbiss HH (1987) A set of plant expression vectors for transcriptional and translational fusions. Nucleic Acids Res 15: 5890. CrossRef
- Triglia T, Peterson MG, and Kemp D J (1988) A procedure forin vitro amplification of DNA segments that lie outside the boundaries of known sequences. Nucleic Acids Res 16: 8186. CrossRef
- Upcroft P and Healey A (1993) PCR priming from restriction endonuclease site 3′ extension. Nucleic Acids Res 21: 4854. CrossRef
- A primer-based approach to genome walking
Plant Molecular Biology Reporter
Volume 24, Issue 2 , pp 237-243
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- genome walking
- 3′ overhangs
- primer ligation
- restriction endonucleases
- single stranded DNA primers
- Industry Sectors