Positive influence of Methotrexate-Hydroxychloroquine combination on the expression of GM-CSF receptor on neutrophils of synovial fluid in rheumatoid arthritis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Granulocyte Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor (GM-CSF) has been inducted as a mediator of inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis. Methotrexate combination therapy forms an important component of the treatment regimen in rheumatoid arthritis. The present study was undertaken to evaluate the influence of Methotrexate-Hydroxychloroquine (MTX-HCQ) combination and Sulfsalazine- Hydroxychloroquine (SSZ-HCQ) combination on the expression GM-CSFR in neutrophils isolated from synovial fluids. 15 cases of confirmed rheumatoid arthritis patients who presented at the hospital for surgical correction of joint deformities were selected for the study. Neutrophils isolated from the synovial fluids were used as the source of the receptor for quantitation on an enzyme immunoassay (EIA). The EIA was developed and standardized in our laboratory for quantification of the GM-CSF R. The findings are suggestive of the fact that the administration of MTX-HCQ combination has positive influence on the expression of the GM-CSF R on neutrophils as against SSZ-HCQ combination. The physiological basis of this increase needs further investigation.
- Weinblatt, M.E., Kaplan, H, Germain, B.F., et al. (1994) Methotrexate in rheumatoid arthritis: a five-year prospective multicenter study. Arthritis Rheum. 37, 1492–1498. CrossRef
- O'Dell, J.R., Hairem, C.E., Erikson, N., et al. (1996) Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with methotrexate alone, sulfasalazine and hydroxychloroquine, or a combination of all three medications. N. Engl. J. Med. 334, 1287–1291. CrossRef
- Hamilton, J.A. (1993) Rheumatoid arthritis: opposing actions of haemopoietic growth factors and slow acting anti-rheumatic drugs. Lancet 342, 536–539. CrossRef
- Gasson, J.C. (1991) Molecular physiology of granulocyte macrophage colony simulating factor. Blood 77, 1131–45.
- Janeway, C.A., Travers, P., Walport, M., Schlomchik, M. (2001) Immunobiology; 5th edn. Garland Publishing.
- Di, Persio, J., Billing, P., Kaufman, S., Eghtesady, P., Williams, R.C. and Casson, J.C. (1988) Characterisation of the human granulocyte macrophage colony stimulating receptor. J. Biol. Chem. 263(4), 1834–41.
- Stacchini, A., Fubini, L. and Aglietta, M. (1996) Flow cytometric detection and quantitative analysis of the GM-CSF receptor in human granulocytes and comparison with radioligand binding assay. Cytometry 24(4), 374–81. CrossRef
- Di Persio, J.F., Golde, D.W. and Gasson, J.D. (1990) GM-CSF: receptor structure and transmembrane signaling. Int. J. Cell-Cloning 74(5), 63–74.
- Sidney, P., Colowick and Nathan, O., Kaplan (1984) Methods in Enzymology 105, 359–362.
- Felson, D.T., Anderson, J.J. and Meenan, R.F. (1994) The efficacy and toxicity of combination therapy in rheumatoid arthritis, A meta-analysis. Arthritis Rheum. 37, 1487–1491. CrossRef
- Boers, M., Verhoeven, A.C., Markusse, H.M. et al. (1997) Randomised comparison of combined step-down prednisolone, methotrexate and sulphsalazine alone in early rheumatoid arthritis. Lancet 350, 309–318. CrossRef
- O'Dell, J.R., Haire, C.E., Palmer, W., et al. (1997) Treatment of early rheumatoid arthritis with minocycline or placebo. Arthritis Rheum. 40, 842–848. CrossRef
- Tugwell, P., Pincus, T., Yocum, D., et al. (1995) Combination therapy with cyclosporine and methotrexate in severe rheumatoid arthritis. N. Eng. J. Med. 333, 137–141. CrossRef
- Alarcon, G.S., Tracy, I.C., Strand, G.M., et al. (1995) Survival and drug discontinuation analysis in a large cohort of methotrexate-treated rheumatoid arthritis patients. Ann. Rhem. Dis. 54, 708–712. CrossRef
- Arend, W.P. (2001) Physiology of cytokine pathways in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 45, 101–6. CrossRef
- Xu, W.D., Firestein, G.S., Taetle, A., et al. (1989) Cytokines in chronic inflammatory arthritis. II granulocyte macrophage colony stimulating factor in rheumatoid synovial effusions. J. Clin. Invest. 83, 876–882. CrossRef
- Field, M. and Clinton, L. (1993) Expression of GM-CSF receptor in rheumatoid arthritis (Letter). Lancet 342, 1244. CrossRef
- Schimke, R.T. (1980) Gene amplification and drug resistance. Sci. Am. 243, 60–69. CrossRef
- Positive influence of Methotrexate-Hydroxychloroquine combination on the expression of GM-CSF receptor on neutrophils of synovial fluid in rheumatoid arthritis
Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry
Volume 21, Issue 2 , pp 49-52
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- GM-CSF receptor
- Synovial fluid