Surgical management of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We report surgical resections in 3 patients with active multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. All cases involved strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis resistant to at least isoniazid and rifampin and patients who were poor candidates for medical therapy alone. We conducted pulmonary resections (partial resection in case I, lobectomy in case 2, and segmentectomy in case 3). The optimum multiple-drug regimen, based on drug susceptibility studies, was used preoperatively and postoperatively. In all cases, sputum smears and cultures yielded negative results postoperatively, and continue to be negative for Mycobacterium tuberculosis to date. It is recomended that, if localized disease is present and medical treatment is likely to fail, pulmonary resection be conducted for multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Goble M, Iseman MD, Madsen LA, Waite D, Ackerson L, Horsburgh CR Jr. Treatment of 171 patients with pulmonary tuberculosis resistant to isoniazid and rifampin. N Engl J Med 1993; 328: 527–32. CrossRef
- Pomerantz M, Brown JM. Surgery in the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Clin Chest Med 1997; 18: 123–30. CrossRef
- Frieden TR, Sterling T, Pablog-Mendez A, Kilburn JO, Cauthen GM, Dooley SW. The emergence of drug-resistant tuberculosis in New York City. N Engl J Med 1993; 328: 521–6. CrossRef
- Park MM, Davis AL, Schluger NW, Cohen H, Rom WN. Outcome of MDR-TB patients, 1983–1993: prolonged survival with appropriate therapy. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1996; 153: 317–24.
- Turett GS, Telzak EE, Torian LV, Blum S, Alland D, Weisfuse I, et al. Improved outcomes for patients with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Clin Infect Dis 1995; 21: 1238–44.
- Telzak EE, Sepkowitz K, Alpert P, Mannheimer S, Medard F, El-Sadr W, et al. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in patients without HIV infection. N Engl J Med 1995; 333: 907–11. CrossRef
- Moore M, Onorato IM, McCray E, Castro KG. Trends in drug-resistant tuberculosis in the United States, 1993–1996. JAMA 1997; 278: 833–7. CrossRef
- Freixinet J. Surgical indications for treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. World J Surg 1997; 21: 475–9. CrossRef
- Pomerantz M, Madsen L, Goble M, Iseman M. Surgical management of resistant mycobacterial tuberculosis and other mycobacterial pulmonary infections. Ann Thorac Surg 1991; 52: 1108–12.
- Sung SW, Kang CH, Kim YT, Han SK, Shim YS, Kim JH. Surgery increased the chance of cure in multi-drug resistant pulmonary tuberculosis. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 1999; 16: 187–93. CrossRef
- Surgical management of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis
General Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Volume 49, Issue 2 , pp 141-144
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- pulmonary tuberculosis
- multidrug-resistant tuberculosis
- pulmonary resection
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery I, Tokyo Women's Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
- 2. Department of Chest Surgery, Tokyo Metropolitan Fuchu Hospital, 8-1 Kawada-cho, Shinjuku-ku, 162-8666, Tokyo, Japan
- 3. Respiratory Medicine, Tokyo Metropolitan Fuchu Hospital, Tokyo, Japan