Epidemiology of the femoral neck fracture in 1985, Niigata Prefecture, Japan
- Tadashi Kawashima
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The incidence of the femoral neck fractures in 1985 was studied in Niigata Prefecture, Japan, which is on the “Japan Sea” at the central area of the Main Island of Japan. The author visited all hospitals within Niigata Prefecture, to study radiographs and records of patients who sustained femoral neck fractures. On October 1, 1985, the population of Niigata Prefecture was 2,474,829 (1,202,873 males and 1,271,956 females). The population over 65 years of age was 319,305, 12.9% of the total population (129,252 males and 190,053 females).
During 1985, there were 677 fractures of femoral neck (183 males and 494 females, i.e. 1∶2.7). Its incidence over 65 years of age was 9.3 in males and 23.9 females per 10,000 population/year. The ratio of cervical and trochanteric fractures was 231∶446 (1∶1.9), the latter amounting to two thirds of the femoral neck fractures.
The age specific incidence in Niigata Prefecture showed an exponential increase with increasing age like in Sweden or in the USA, but the age-adjusted incidence in Niigata Prefecture was one-fourth or one-fifth of that in those countries.
- Knowelden, J., Buhr, A.J. and Dumbar, O.: Incidence of fractures in persons over 35 years of age, A report to the M.R.C. working party on fractures in the elderly. Brit. J. Prev. Soc. Med. 18:130–141, 1964.
- Stewart, I.M.: Fractures of neck of femur, incidence and implication. Br. Med. J. 1:698–701, 1955. CrossRef
- Elabdien, B.S.Z., Olerud, S., Karlström, G. and Smedby, B.: Rising incidence of hip fracture in Uppsala, 1965–1980. Acta Orthop. Scand. 55:284–289, 1984.
- Wong, P.C.: Fracture epidemiology in a mixed southeastern asian community (Singapore), Clin. Orthop. 45:55–61, 1966.
- Chalmer, J. and Ho, K.C.: Geographycal variation in senile osteoporosis. The association with physical activity. J. Bone Joint Surg. 52B:667–675, 1970.
- Levine, S., Mankin, M., Menczel, J., Robin, G.M., Naor, E. and Steinberg, R.: Incidence of fractures of the proximal end of the femur in Jerusalem. J. Bone Joint Surg. 52-A:1193–1202, 1970.
- Solomon, L.: Osteoporosis and fracture of the femoral neck in the South Africa Bantu. J. Bone Joint Surg. 50B:2–13, 1968.
- Matkovic, V., Kostial, K., Simonovic, I., Buzina, R., Brodvec, A. and Nordin, B.E.C.: Bone status and fracture rates in two regions of Yugoslavia. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 32:540–549, 1979.
- Gallagher, J.C., Melton, L.J., Riggs, B.L. and Bergstrath, E.: Epidemiology of fractures of the proximal femur in Rochester, Minnesota. Clin. Orthop. 150:163–171, 1980.
- Yano, K., Wasnich, R.D., Vogel, J.M. and Heilbran, L.K.: Bone measurements among middle-aged and elderly Japanese residents in Hawaii. Am. J. Epidemiology 119:751–764, 1984.
- Garn, S.M., Pao, E.M. and Rihl, M.E.: Compact bone in Chinese and Japanese. Science 143:1439–1440, 1964. CrossRef
- Nordin, B.E.C.: International patterns of osteoporosis, Clin. Orthop. 45:17–30, 1966.
- Singh, M., Nagrath, A.R. and Maini, P.S.: Changes in trabecular pattern of the upper end of the femur as an index of osteoporosis. J. Bone Joint Surg. 52-A:457–467, 1970.
- Singh, M., Riggs, B.L., Beabout, J.W. and Jowsey, J.: Femoral trabecular index for evaluation of spinal osteoporosis. Ann. Intern. Med. 77:63–67, 1972.
- Dalen, N., Helström, L.G. and Jacobson, B.: Bone mineral content and mechanical strength of the femoral neck, Acta Orthop. Scand. 47:503, 1976.
- Leichter, I., Margulies, J.Y., Weinreb, A., Mizrahi, J., Robin, G.C., Conforty, B., Mankin, M.: The relationship between bone density, mineral content, and mechanical strength in femoral neck, Clin. Orthop. 163:272–281, 1982.
- Bohr, H. and Schaadt, O.: Bone mineral content of femoral bone and the lumbar spine measured in women with fracture of the femoral neck by dual photon absorptiometry. Clin. Orthop. 179:240–245, 1983.
- Norimatsu, H., Mori, S., Uesato, T. and Katsuyama, N.: Bone mineral density of the spine and proximal femur in normal and osteoporotic subjects in Japan. Bone and Mineral. 5:213–222, 1989. CrossRef
- Aaron, J.E., Gallagher, J.C., Anderson, J., Stasiak, L., Longton, E.B., Nordin, B.E.C. and Nicholoson, M.: Frequency of osteomalacia and osteoporosis in fractures of the proximal femur. Lancet 1, 229–233, 1974. CrossRef
- Aaron, J.E., Gallagher, J.C. and Nordin, B.E.C.: Seasonal variation of histological osteomalacia in femoral neck fracture. Lancet 2, 84–85, 1974. CrossRef
- Evans, R.A., Ashwell, J.R. and Dunstan, C.R.: Lack of metabolic bone disease in patients with fracture of the femoral neck. Aust. N.Z.J. Med. 11:158–161, 1981.
- Johnell, O. and Nilsson, B.E.: Hip fracture and accident diposition, Acta orthop. Scand. 56:302–304, 1985.
- Abdon, N.J. and Nilsson, B.E.: Episodic cardiac arrhythmia and femoral neck fracture, Acta Med. Scand. 208, 73–79, 1980.
- Hansson, L.I., Ceder, L., Svensson, K. and Throngren, K.G.: Incidence of fractures of the distal radius and proximal femur, Comparison of patients in a mental hospital and the general population, Acta Orthop. Scand. 53:721–726, 1982. CrossRef
- Dretakis, E.K. and Christodoulou, N.A.: Significance of endogenic factors in the location of fractures of the proximal femur, Acta Orthop. Scand. 54, 198–203, 1983.
- Pogrund, H., Makin, M., Robin, G., Menczel, J. and Steinberg, R.: Osteoporosis in patients with fractured femoral neck in Jerusalem. Clin. Orthop. 124:165–172, 1977.
- Epidemiology of the femoral neck fracture in 1985, Niigata Prefecture, Japan
Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism
Volume 7, Issue 2 , pp 46-54
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Niigata University School of Medicine, 951, Niigata City, Japan