Ground settlement of Chek Lap Kok Airport, Hong Kong, detected by satellite synthetic aperture radar interferometry
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Satellite synthetic aperture radar (SAR) interferometry is used to investigate the slowly accumulating ground settlement at the new Chek Lap Kok Airport in Hong Kong. Most of the land occupied by the airport was reclaimed from the sea and therefore certain ground settlement in the area has been expected. A pair of ERS-2 SAR images spanning nearly a year is used in the study. The high spatial resolution (20 mx20 m) ground settlement map derived indicates that the settlement that occurred in the area over the time period is as large as 50 mm. The SAR measurement results agree with the levelling measurements at some benchmarks in the area to well within 1 cm(rms error), and the overall correlation between the two types of results is 0.89. The paper presents some brief background of interferometric SAR, and outlines the data processing methods and results.
- Fujiwara, S., Rosen, P. A., Tobita, M. et al., Crustal deformation measurements using repeat-pass JERS-1 synthetic radar interferometry near the Izu Peninsula, Japan, Journal of Geophysical Research, 1998, 103(B2): 2411. CrossRef
- Massonnet, D., Rossi, M., Carmona, C. et al., The displacement field of the Landers earthquake mapped by radar interferometry, Nature, 1993, 364: 138. CrossRef
- Zebker, H. A., Rosen, P. A., Goldstein, R. M. et al., On the derivation of coseismic displacement fields using differential radar interferometry: The Landers Earthquake, Journal of Geophysical Research, 1994, 99(B10): 19617. CrossRef
- Wang, Ch., Liu, Z., Zhang, H. et al., Coseismic displacement of Zhangbei-Shangyi Earthquake observed by differential SAR interferometry, Chinese Science Bulletin, 2000, 45(23): 2550.
- Rosen, P. A., Hensley, S., Zebker, H. A. et al., Surface deformation and coherence measurements of Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii, from SIR-C radar interferometry, Journal of Geophysical Research, 1996, 101(E10): 33109. CrossRef
- Goldstein, R. M., Engelhardt, H., Kamb, B. et al., Satellite radar interferometry for monitoring ice sheet motion, application to an Antarctic ice stream, Science, 1993, 262: 1525. CrossRef
- Galloway, D. L., Hudnut, K. W., Ingebritsen, S. E., P. et al., Detection of aquifer system compaction and land subsidence using interferometric synthetic aperture radar, Antelope Valley, Mojave Desert, California, Water Resources Research, 1998, 34(10): 2573. CrossRef
- Kimura, H., Yamaguchi, Y., Detection of landslide areas using satellite radar interferometry, Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 2000, 66(3): 337.
- Zebker, H. A., Villasenor, J., Decorrelation in interferometric radar echoes, IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., 1992, 30(5): 950. CrossRef
- Zebker, H. A., Rosen, P. A., Hensley, S., Atmospheric effects in interferometric synthetic aperture radar surface deformation and topographic maps, Journal of Geophysical Research, 1997, 102(B4): 7547. CrossRef
- Plant, G. W., Covil, C. S., Hughes, R. A. (eds.), Site Preparation for the New Hong Kong International Airport, London: Thomas Telford Publishing Ltd, 1998.
- Liu, G. X., Ding, X. L., Chen, Y. Q. et al., New and potential technology for observation of earth from space: Synthetic aperture radar interferometry, Advance in Earth Science (in Chinese), 2000, 15(6): 734.
- Liu, G. X., Ding, X. L., Li, Z. L. et al., Co-registration of satellite SAR complex images, ACTA Geodaetica et Cartographica Sinica (in Chinese), 2001, 30(1): 60.
- Goldstein, R. M., Zebker, H. A., Werner, C. L., Satellite radar interferometry: Two-dimensional phase unwrapping, Radio Science, 1988, 23(4): 713. CrossRef
- Ground settlement of Chek Lap Kok Airport, Hong Kong, detected by satellite synthetic aperture radar interferometry
Chinese Science Bulletin
Volume 46, Issue 21 , pp 1778-1782
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Science in China Press
- Additional Links
- synthetic aperture radar interferometry
- atmospheric delay
- land reclamation
- settlement field
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surveying Engineering, Southwest Jiaotong University, 610031, Chengdu, China
- 2. Department of Land Surveying and Geo-Informatics, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, KLN, Hong Kong, China