A bioeconomic model of a ratio-dependent predator-prey system and optimal harvesting
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper deals with the problem of a ratio-dependent prey-predator model with combined harvesting. The existence of steady states and their stability are studied using eigenvalue analysis. Boundedness of the exploited system is examined. We derive conditions for persistence and global stability of the system. The possibility of existence of bionomic equilibria has been considered. The problem of optimal harvest policy is then solved by using Pontryagin’s maximal principle.
- Arrow, K. J. and Kurz, M.,Public Investment, The Rate of Return and Optimal Fiscal Policy, John Hopkins, 1970.
- Beretta, E. and Kuang, Y.,Global qualitative analysis of a ratio dependent prey-predator systems, J. Math. Biol.36 (1998), 389–406. CrossRef
- Beretta, E. and Kuang, Y.,Global analysis in some delayed ratio-dependent prey-predator system, Nonlinear Analysis — TMA,32(3) (1998), 381–408. CrossRef
- Berryman, A. A.,The origins and evolution of predator-prey theory, Ecology,73 (1992), 1530–1535. CrossRef
- Bhattacharya, D. K. and Begum, S.,Bionomic equilibrium of two species system, Math. Biosci.135(2) (1996) 111–127. CrossRef
- Birkhoff, G. and Rota, G. C.,Ordinary Differential Equations, Ginn, 1982.
- Brauer, F. and Soudack, A. C.,Stability regions and transition phenomena for harvested predator-prey systems, J. Math. Biol.7 (1979), 319–337. CrossRef
- Brauer, F. and Soudack,, A. C.,Stability regions in predator-prey systems with constant rate prey harvesting, J. Math. Biol.8 (1979), 55–71. CrossRef
- Brauer, F. and Soudack, A. C.,Constant rate stocking of predator-prey systems, J. Math. Biol.11 (1981), 1–14. CrossRef
- Chaudhuri, K. S.,A bioeconomic model of harvesting, a multispecies fishery, Ecol. Model,32 (1986), 267–279. CrossRef
- Chaudhuri, K. S. and Saha Ray, S.,On the combined harvesting of a preypredator system, J. Biol. Syst.4(1996), 376–389. CrossRef
- Clark, C. W.,Mathematical Bioeconomics, the optimal Management of Renewable Resources, John Wiley, New York, 1990.
- Clark, C. W.,Bioeconomic Modeling and Fisheries Management, John Wiley, New York, 1985.
- Dai, G. and Tang, M.,Coexistence region and global dynamics of a harvested predatorprey system, SI AM J. Appl. Math.13 (1998), 193–210. CrossRef
- Gamito, S.,Growth models and their use in ecological modeling: an application to a fish population, Ecol. Model.113 (1998), 83–94. CrossRef
- Jerry, M., and Raissi, N.,A policy of fisheries management based on continuous fishing effort, J. Biol. Syst.9 (2001), 247–254. CrossRef
- Kar, T.K. and Chaudhuri, K. S.,On non-selective harvesting of two competing fish species in the presence of toxicity, Ecol. Model.161 (2003), 125–137. CrossRef
- Kar, T. K.,Selective harvesting in a prey-predator fishery with time delay, Math. Comp. Model38 (2003), 449–458. CrossRef
- Leung, A. W.,Optimal harvesting coefficient control of steady state prey predator diffusive Volterra-Lotka systems, Appl. Math. Optim.31 (1985), 219. CrossRef
- Mesterton-Gibbons, M.,On the optimal policy for combined harvesting of independent species, Natural Resource Modeling,2 (1987), 107–132.
- Mesterton-Gibbons, M.,On the optimal policy for combined harvesting of predator-prey, Nat. Res. Model3 (1988), 63–90.
- Pontryagin, L. S., Boltyonskii, V. G., R. V. Gamkrelidre and E. F. Mishchenko,The Mathematical Theory of Optimal processes, Wiley, New York, 1962.
- Pradhan, T., and Chaudhuri, K. S.,Bioeconomic modelling of a single-species fishery with Gompertz law of growth, J. Biol. Syst.,6(4) (1988), 393–409. CrossRef
- Pradhan, T., and Chaudhuri, K. S.,Bioeconomic harvesting of a schooling fish species: a dynamic reaction model, Korean J. Comput, & Appl. Math,6(1) (1999), 127–142.
- Ragozin, D. L. and Brown G. Jr.,Harvest policies and non-market valuations in a predator-prey system, J. Environ-Econ. Managm.12 (1985), 155–168. CrossRef
- Rao, S. H. and Rao, R. S.,Stability analysis of a ratio prey-predator models, Nonlinear Analysis-Real World Application6 (2005), 245–262. CrossRef
- Samanta, G. P., Manna, D. and Maiti, A.,Bioeconomic modeling of a three-species fishery with switching effect, J. Appl. Math. Comp.12 (2003), 219–232. CrossRef
- Wilen, J. E.,Bioeconomics of renewable resource use in A.V. Kneese and J.L. Sweeney (eds.) Handbook of natural resource and energy economics, Vol. 1, North Holland, Amsterdam, 1985, 61–124.
- Zheng, X., Chen, L. and Newmann, A. V.,The stage structured predator-prey model and optimal harvesting policy, Math. Biosci.,168(2) (2000), 201–210. CrossRef
- A bioeconomic model of a ratio-dependent predator-prey system and optimal harvesting
Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computing
Volume 22, Issue 1-2 , pp 387-401
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- optimal harvesting
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, Bengal Engineering and Science University, 711 103, Shibpur, Howrah, India
- 2. Department of Mathematics, Dhakuria Ram Chandra High School, 10, Station Road, 700 031, Dhakuria, Kolkata, India