Mode expansion modeling of rectangular integrated optical microresonators
- Manfred Lohmeyer
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Two dielectric waveguides that are evanescently coupled to a square or rectangular region of increased refractive index can serve as a very compact integrated optical microresonator. We consider these devices in a spatial two-dimensional setting, where a rigorous mode expansion technique enables accurate and quite efficient numerical simulations of these configurations. The paper is concerned with single resonator units as well as with an add-drop filter constructed by cascading two square cavities. Besides calculating the power transmission spectra, we try to document as far as possible the characteristic electric field patterns that occur at major and minor resonance wavelengths. The influence of the various geometrical parameters on the resonator performance is investigated in detail.
- Boriskina, S.V. and A.I. Nosich.IEEE T. Micron: Theory 47 224, 1999. CrossRef
- Chin, M.K. and S.T. Ho.J Lightwave Technol.16 1433, 1997. CrossRef
- Fan, S., P.R. Villeneuve, J.D. Joannopoulos and H.A. Haus.Phys. Rev. Lett.80 960, 1998. CrossRef
- Gornik, E.Science 280 1544, 1998. CrossRef
- Li, B.-J. and P.-L. Liu.IEEE J. Quantum Elect.32 1583, 1996. CrossRef
- Little, B.E., S.T. Chu, H.A. Haus, J. Foresi and J.-P. Laine.J. Lightwave Technol.15 998, 1997. CrossRef
- Little, B.E., J.-P. Laine and H.A. Haus.J. Lightwave Technol.17 704–715, 1999. CrossRef
- Lohmeyer, M. and R. Staffer.Opt. Quant. Electron.33 413–431, 2001. CrossRef
- Manolatou, C., M.J. Khan, S. Fan, P.R. Villeneuve, H.A. Haus and J.D. Joannopoulos.IEEEJ. Quantum Elect.35 1322, 1999. CrossRef
- Marcatili, E.A.J.AT&T. Tech. J. 2103, September 1969.
- Nöckel, J.U. and A.D. Stone.Nature 385 45, 1997. CrossRef
- Poon, A.W., F. Courvoisier, and R.K. Chang. 2001, In:Laser Resonators IV, eds. A.V. Kudryashov and A.H. Paxton Vol. 4270 (of SPIE Proceedings), pp. 131–138, 2001.
- Rowland, D.R. and J.D. Love.IEE Proc. Pt. J 140 177, 1993.
- Sztefka, G. and H.P. Nolting.IEEE Photonic Tech. L. 5 554, 1993. CrossRef
- Vassallo, C.Optical Waveguide Concepts. Elsevier, Amsterdam 1991.
- Mode expansion modeling of rectangular integrated optical microresonators
Optical and Quantum Electronics
Volume 34, Issue 5-6 , pp 541-557
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- integrated optics
- numerical modeling
- wavelength demultiplexing
- Industry Sectors
- Manfred Lohmeyer (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Mathematical Sciences, MESA+Research Institute, University of Twente, P.O. Box 217, 7500, AE Enschede, The Netherlands