Actin-Rich (myoepithelial) cells in ductal carcinoma-in-situ of the breast
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The distribution of the myoepithelial cells in 32 cases of ductal carcinoma-in-situ (DCIS) of the breast (11 not associated, 21 associated with invasive carcinoma) was investigated with a recently developed immunoperoxidase method for actin.
Actin-rich myoepithelial cells were detected at the periphery of some ducts, however, their presence was neither constant nor continuous. Large areas of DCIS were devoid of a myoepithelial cell layer and the neoplastic cells were directly in contact with the stroma. No differences related to the histological pattern of DCIS or the presence and absence of invasive carcinoma were noted.
The behaviour of the myoepithelial cells in ductal carcinoma appears different from that observed in cases of lobular carcinoma (Bussolati 1980) and of cystic disease, and may thus be of diagnostic interest.
The selective destruction of myoepithelial cells in cases of DCIS might result in a focal disruption of the basement membrane, thus facilitating invasion.
- Ahmed A (1974) The myoepithelium in human creast carcinoma. J Pathol 113:129–135 CrossRef
- Azzopardi JC (1979) Problems in breast pathology. W Saunders, London
- Bussolati G; Bonfanti S; Weber K; Osborn M (1978) Staining of myoepithelial cells in fixed and embedded tissues by immunocytochemical techniques using antibodies to actin. Riv Istochim Norm Patol 22:387–390
- Bussolati G, Alfani V, Weber K, Osborn M (1980) Immunocytochemical detection of actin on fixed and embedded tissues: its potential use in routine pathology. J Histochem Cytochem 28:169–173
- Bussolati G (1980) Actin-rich (myoepithelial) cells in lobular carcinoma in situ of the breast. Virchows Arch B Cell Path 32:165–176 CrossRef
- Carter D, Yardley JH, Shelley WM (1969) Lobular carcinoma of the breast: an ultrastructural comparison with certain duct carcinomas and benign lesions. Johns Hopkins Med J 125:25–32
- Fechner RE (1971) Ductal carcinoma involving the lobule of the breast. A source of confusion with lobular carcinoma in situ. Cancer 28:274–281 CrossRef
- Gabbiani G, Csank-Brassert J, Schneeberger JC, Kapanci, Y, Trenchev P, Holborow J (1976) Contractile proteins in human cancer cells. Immunofluorescence and electron microscopic study. Am J Pathol 83:457–474
- Gould VE, Miller J, Jao W (1975) Ultrastructure of medullary, intraductal, tubular and adenocystic breast carcinomas. Am J Pathol 78:401–416
- Graham RC, Karnovsky MJ (1966) The early stages of absorption of injected horseradish peroxidase in the proximal tubules of mouse kidney: ultrastructural cytochemistry by a new technique. J Histochem Cytochem 14:291–302
- Hamperl H (1970) The myothelia (myoepithelial cells): normal state; regressive changes; hyperplasia; tumors. Curr Top Pathol 53:161–220
- Heyderman E (1979) Immunoperoxidase technique in histopathology: application, methods and controls. J Clin Pathol 32:971–978 CrossRef
- Jensen HM, Ricc JD, Wellings SR (1976) Preneoplastic lesions in the human breast. Science 191:295–297 and 193:919 CrossRef
- Liotta LA, Wicha MS, Foidart JM, Rennard SI, Garbisa S, Kidwell WR (1979) Hormonal requirements for basement membrane collagen deposition by cultured rat mammary epithelium. Lab Invest 41:511–518
- Macartney JC, Roxburgh J, Curran RC (1979a) Intracellular filaments in human cancer cells: a histological study. J Pathol 129:13–20 CrossRef
- Macartney JC, Trevithick MA, Kricka L, Curran RC (1979b) Identification of myosin in human epithelial cancers with immunofluorescence. Lab Invest 41: 437–445
- Ohtani H, Sasano N (1980) Myofibroblasts and myoepithelial cells in human breast carcinoma. An ultrastructural study. Virchows Arch A Path Anat and Histol 385:247–261 CrossRef
- Ozzello L (1971) Ultrastructures of the human mammary gland. Pathol Ann 6:1–79
- Ozzello L, Sanpitak P (1970) Epithelial-stromal junction of intraductal carcinoma of the breast. Cancer 26:1186–1198 CrossRef
- Stenberger LA, Hardy, PH Jr, Cuculis JJ, Meyer HG (1970) The unlabelled antibody enzyme method of immunohistochemistry: preparation and properties of soluble antigen-antibody complex (Horseradish peroxidase anti-horseradish peroxidase) and its use in identification of spirochaets. J Histochem Cytochem 18:315–333
- Van Bogaert LJ, Abarka J, Maldague P (1977) Appraisals and pitfalls of myoepithelial cells staining by Levanol Fast Cyanine 5RN. Histochemistry 54:251–258 CrossRef
- Actin-Rich (myoepithelial) cells in ductal carcinoma-in-situ of the breast
Virchows Archiv B
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 251-259
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links