Indecomposability of treed equivalence relations
- Scot Adams
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We define rigorously a “treed” equivalence relation, which, intuitively, is an equivalence relation together with a measurably varying tree structure on each equivalence class. We show, in the nonamenable, ergodic, measure-preserving case, that a treed equivalence relation cannot be stably isomorphic to a direct product of two ergodic equivalence relations.
- S. Adams,Trees and amenable equivalence relations, Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems, to appear.
- W. Arveson,An Invitation to C*-algebras, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1976.
- A. Connes, J. Feldman and B. Weiss,An amenable equivalence relation is generated by a single transformation, Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems1 (1981), 431–450. CrossRef
- J. Feldman and C. Moore,Ergodic equivalence relations, cohomology and von Neumann algebras I, Trans. Am. Math. Soc.234 (1977), 289–324. CrossRef
- J. Feldman and C. Moore,Ergodic equivalence relations, cohomology and von Neumann algebras II, Trans. Am. Math. Soc.234 (1977), 325–359. CrossRef
- J. Feldman, P. Hahn and C. Moore,Orbit structure and countable sections for actions of continuous groups, Adv. in Math.28 (1978), 186–230. CrossRef
- G. Mackey,Ergodic theory and virtual groups, Math. Ann.166 (1966), 187–207. CrossRef
- A. Ramsay,Virtual groups and group actions, Adv. in Math.6 (1971), 253–322. CrossRef
- J.-P. Serre,Trees, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1980.
- R. Zimmer,Extensions of ergodic group actions, Ill. J. Math.20 (1976), 373–409.
- R. Zimmer,Hyperfinite factors and amenable ergodic actions, Inv. Math.41 (1977), 23–31. CrossRef
- R. Zimmer,Orbit equivalence and rigidity of ergodic actions of Lie groups, Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems1 (1981), 237–253.
- R. Zimmer,Ergodic theory, semisimple Lie groups, and foliations by manifolds of negative curvature, Publ. Math. IHES55 (1982), 37–62.
- R. Zimmer,Ergodic actions of semisimple groups and product relations, Ann. Math.118 (1983), 9–19. CrossRef
- R. Zimmer,Ergodic Theory and Semisimple Groups, Birkhäuser, Boston, 1984.
- Indecomposability of treed equivalence relations
Israel Journal of Mathematics
Volume 64, Issue 3 , pp 362-380
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Scot Adams (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, Stanford University, 94305, Stanford, CA, USA