Macromolecular syntheses and the course of cell cycle events in the chlorococcal algascenedesmus quadricauda under nutrient starvation: Effect of sulphur starvation
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Daughter cells of the chlorococcal algaScenedesmus quadricauda were incubated under photosynthesizing conditions in a sulphur-free medium. The course of the cell cycle under these conditions was changed in daughter cells which differed in their stage of development. In absence of sulphur, advanced daughter cells with two nuclei and 2 or 4 genomes passed a cycle identical with that of control in sulphur containing medium. Each cell yielded eight binuclear daughter cells. With less advanced daughter cells (one nucleus and 1 or 2 genomes) restriction of RNA synthesis occurred near to the end of the cell cycle and protein synthesis ceased two hours later (practically at the time of the protoplast fission). The last round of DNA replication found in the control culture was not initiated in sulphur-starved culture and uninuclear daughter cells with one genome were released.
If the daughter cells coming from the starved populations were kept further in the sulphur-free medium, macromolecular syntheses were dramatically restricted. Only photosynthesis continued to produce starch at a similar rate as in normally grown cells. Thus, a very large amount of starch accumulated. Supported by these reserves, starved cells refed with sulphur passed an entire cell cycle in the dark and divided into eight daughter cells. In sulphur-supplied cells, both in the dark and in light, RNA, protein and DNA synthesis started without any delay in a similar way as in the control culture. Competition for sulphur reserves occurred between the growth and division processes; the former were preferred in the light and the latter in the dark.
- Ballin, G.,Doucha, J.,Zachlbder, V.,Šetlík, I.: Macromolecular syntheses and the course of cell cycle events in the ehlorococcal algaScenedesmus quadricauda under nutrient starvation: Effect of nitrogen starvation. - Biol. Plant.30: 81–91, 1988.
- Goryunova, S. V.,Pusheva, M. A.,Gerasimenko. L. M.: [Effect of a sulphur-containing nucleotide peptide complex on the life cycle of a synchronous culture ofChlorella vulgaris, In Russ.- Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR190: 455–457, 1970a.
- Goryunova, S. V.,Pusheva, M. A.,Gerasimenko. L. M.: [Role of a sulphur containing polynucleotide peptide complex in cell division ofChlorella vulgaris. In Russ. - Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR190: 966–968, 1970b.
- Hartwell, L. H.:Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell cycle. - Bacteriol. Rev.38: 164–198, 1974.
- Hase, E.,Mihara, S.,Tamiya, H.: Sulphur-containing deoxypentose polynucleotides obtained fromChlorella. - Biochim. biophys. Acta39: 381–382, 1960a. CrossRef
- Hase, E.,Mihara, S.,Tamiya, H.: Some data on the nature of sulfur-containing peptide-nucleotide compounds obtained fromChlorella cells at different developmental stages in their life cycle. - J. gen. appl. Microbiol.6: 61–67, 1960b. CrossRef
- Hase, E.,Morimura, Y.,Mihara, S.,Tamiya, H.: The role of sulfur in the cell division ofChlorella. - Arch. Microbiol.32: 87–95, 1958.
- Hase, E.,Morimura, Y.,Tamiya, H.: A short remark on the role of sulfur in the cell division ofChlorella. - J. gen. appl. Microbiol.6: 68–69, 1960c. CrossRef
- Hase, E.,Otsuka, H.,Mihara, S.,Tamiya, H.: Role of sulfur in the cell division ofChlorella studied by technique of synchronous culture. - Biochim. biophys. Acta35: 180–189, 1959. CrossRef
- Inoue, S.: Cell division and the mitotic spindle. - J. Cell Biol.91: 131–147, 1981. CrossRef
- Kylin, A.: The influence of phosphate nutrition on growth and sulphur metabolism ofScenedesmus. - Physiol. Plant.17: 384–402, 1964. CrossRef
- Papadopulos-Eleopulos, E.: A mitotic theory. - J. theor. Biol.96: 741–758, 1982. CrossRef
- Rapkine, L.: A thiol cycle in dividing urchin eggs. - Ann. Physicochim. Biol.7: 382–386, 1931.
- Tamiya, H.: Growth and cell division ofChlorella. - In:Zeuthen, E. (ed.): Synchrony in Cell Division and Growth. Pp. 247–305. J. Wiley and Sons Inc., New York -London-Sydney 1964.
- Zachleder, V.,Ballin, G.,Doucha, J.,Šetlík, I.: Macromolecular syntheses and the course of cell cycle events in the chlorococcal algaScenedesmus quadricauda under nutriet starvation: Effect of phosphorus starvation. - Biol. Plant.30: 92–99, 1988.
- Macromolecular syntheses and the course of cell cycle events in the chlorococcal algascenedesmus quadricauda under nutrient starvation: Effect of sulphur starvation
Volume 30, Issue 3 , pp 161-169
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links