Productivity and heat generation of fermentation under oxygen limitation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The elemental balance equation of microbial growth on carbon substrate of generalized composition is given. Yield of dried bio-mass per oxygenY o is calculated. Yield per oxygenY o is found to be determined by two factors—carbon yieldy and the reducing power of substrate γ s . The mode of dependence ofY o on these two quantities is studied. The energetic interpretation ofy and γ s is given. The dependence ofY o ony and γ s is shown to be equivalent to the dependence on a single factor, the energetie yield of growth η. Fermentor productivity increases with growth of η, the increase being directly proportional if η is not large (up to 25%) and becoming steeper if η is larger. The restrictions on a range of workable carbon yields during growth on various substrates are found. Metabolic heat generation of fermentor is shown to be proportional to oxygen consumption and to average 3.38 kcal per gram of O2 irrespective of substrate and microorganism used.
- Battley E. H.: Growth-reaction equations forSaccharomyces cerevisiae.Physiol. Plant. 13, 192 (1960). CrossRef
- Cooney C. L., Wang D. I. C., Mateles R. I.: Measurement of heat evolution and correlation with oxygen consumption during microbial growth.Biotechnol. Bioeng. 11, 269 (1969). CrossRef
- Eroshin V. K., Belyanin A. I.: Economical index of yeast cultivation on hexadecane. (In Russian)Prikl. Biokh. Mikrobiol. 4, 704 (1968).
- Johnson M. J.: Microbial cell growth from various hydrocarbons. In: D. Perlman (Ed.):Fermentation Advances, p. 833–842, Academic Press, New York, London, 1969.
- Kharasch M. S.: Heats of combustion of organic compounds.Bur. Stand. J. Res. 2, 359 (1929).
- Kharasch M. S., Sher B.: The electronic conception of valence and heats of combustion of organic compounds.J. Phys. Chem. 29, 625 (1925). CrossRef
- Minkevich I. G., Eroshin V. K.: Oxygen and water expense during the growth of microorganisms (In Russian).Izvestiya AN SSSR, Ser. Biol.,N2, 245 (1972).
- Minkevich I. G., Popkov G. P., Yeroshin V. K.: Theoretical evaluation of the elemental balance during microbial cultivation on n-alkanes and n-alcohols (In Russian).Prikl. Biokh. Mikrobiol. 8, 160 (1972).
- Peterson J. A., Kusinose M., Kusinose E., Coon M. J.: Enzymatic ω-oxidation. 1. Function of rubredoxin as the electron carrier in ω-hydroxylation.J. Biol. Chem. 242, 4334 (1967).
- Spravochnik Khimika (In Russian), Vol. 1, pp. 854–875, GKhI, Moscow, Leningrad, 1962.
- Takahashi J., Uemura N., Ueda K.: Fundamental studies on the cultivation of hydrocarbon-utilizing microorganisms. Part 1. Mass balance for bacterial growth onn-pentane.Agr. Biol. Chem. 34, 32 (1970).
- Thornton W. M.: The relation of oxygen to the heat of combustion of organic compounds.Phil. Mag. 33, 196 (1917).
- Productivity and heat generation of fermentation under oxygen limitation
Volume 18, Issue 5 , pp 376-385
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors