Iron deficiency and anemia in vegetarian mothers and their newborns
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Blood haemoglobin, serum iron, iron binding capacity, transferrin saturation and ferritin levels were determined in two groups of mothers as well as their cords—strict vegetarians (lactovegetarians) and non-vegetarians (omnivores), closely comparable in age, weight, parity and gestation period but differing in their diet and food habits. All these parameters, except total iron binding capacity, were found to be significantly lower in vegetarian mothers and their cords as compared to nonvegetarian mothers and their cords, respectively, despite receiving supplemental iron for six months. Further, there was a greater incidence of anemia and iron deficiency in mothers consuming only vegetarian diet. Moreover, a significant correlation existed between mother's ferritin to cord ferritin confirming that maternal iron deficiency does affect neonatal iron status. All these observations suggest that strict vegetarian mothers as well as their newborns have a greater incidence and risk of anemia and iron deficiency.
- DeMaeyer, E.M. and Adiels-Tegman, M. (1985) World Health Stat. Quart. 38: 302.
- Sharma, D.C., Khalsa, J.K., Soni, B.L., Singh, P.P. and Simlot, M.M. (1972). J. Ind. Med. Assoc. 58: 204
- Sharma, D.C. Pendse, V., Sahay, K. and Soni, B.L. (1991) Asia-Oceania J. Obstet. Gynaec. 17: 13.
- Sharma D.C., Bhatnagar, M. and Simlot, M.M. (1970) J. Obstet. Gynaec. India. 20: 782.
- Sharma, D.C., Singh, P.P. and Khalsa, J.K. (1969) Clin. Biochem. 2: 439. CrossRef
- Tietz, N.W. (1976) Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry. Saunders. Philadelphia. 2nd ed., p. 926.
- Singh B. (1969). Indian Cookery, Mills & Boon. London.
- Fairbanks, V.F. and Beutler, E. Iron. (1988) Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease. (Eds. Shils M.E. and Young V.R.) 7th ed., Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, p. 193.
- Soni, B.L. and Sharma, D.C. (1974) Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 27: 450.
- Gilloly, M., Bothwell, T.H., Chariton, R.W., Torrance, J.D., Bezwada, W.R., Macphail, P., Derman, D.P., Novelli, L., Morrall, P. and Mayet, F. (1984) Brit. J. Nutr. 51: 37. CrossRef
- Gillooly, M., Bothwell, T.H., Torrance, J.D., Macphail, A.P., Derman, D.P., Bezwada, W.R., Mills, W., Charlton, R.W. and Mayet, F. (1983) Brit. J. Nutr. 49: 331. CrossRef
- Hallberg, L., Brune, M., Erlandsson, M., Sandberg, A. and Rossander-Hulten, L. (1991) Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 53: 112.
- Cook, J.D., Dessenko, S.A., Whittaker, P. (1991) Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 53: 106.
- Hawley, G.G. The Condensed Chemical Dictionary. Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., (1977) New York, 9th ed., p. 378.
- Siegenberg, D., Baynes, R.D., Bothwell, T.H., Macfarlane, B.J., Lamparelli, R.D., Car, N.G., Macphail, P., Schmidt, U., Tal, A. and Mayet, F. (1991) F. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 53: 537.
- Dwyer, J.T. (1991) Ann. Rev. Nutr. 11: 61. CrossRef
- Iron deficiency and anemia in vegetarian mothers and their newborns
Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry
Volume 9, Issue 2 , pp 100-102
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- iron deficiency