The Bellman function, the two-weight Hilbert transform, and embeddings of the model spacesK θ
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper is devoted to embedding theorems for the spaceK θ , where θ is an inner function in the unit disc D. It turns out that the question of embedding ofK θ into L2(Μ) is virtually equivalent to the boundedness of the two-weight Hilbert transform. This makes the embedding question quite difficult (general boundedness criteria of Hunt-Muckenhoupt-Wheeden type for the twoweight Hilbert transform have yet to be found). Here we are not interested in sufficient conditions for the embedding ofKg into L2(Μ) (equivalent to a certain two-weight problem for the Hilbert transform). Rather, we are interested in the fact that a certain natural set of conditions is not sufficient for the embedding ofK θ intoL 2 (Μ) (equivalently, a certain set of conditions is not sufficient for the boundedness in a two-weight problem for the Hilbert transform). In particular, we answer (negatively) certain questions of W. Cohn about the embedding ofK θ into L2(Μ). Our technique leads naturally to the conclusion that there can be a uniform embedding of all the reproducing kernels ofK θ but the embedding of the wholeK θ intoL 2(Μ) may fail. Moreover, it may happen that the embedding into a potentially larger spaceL 2(μ) fails too.
- Aleksandrov, A. (1989) Inner functions and related spaces of pseudocontinuable functions. Zap. Nauchn. Sem. POMI 170: pp. 7-33
- Aleksandrov, A. (1995) On the existence of angular boundary values for pseudocontinuable functions. Zap. Nauchn. Sem. POMI 222: pp. 5-17
- Aleksandrov, A. (1996) Isometric embeddings of coinvariant subspaces of the shift operator. Zap. Nauchn. Sem. POMI 232: pp. 5-16
- Benamara, N.-E., Nikolski, N. (1999) Resolvent tests for similarity to a normal operator. Proc. London Math. Soc. 78: pp. 585-626 CrossRef
- Burkholder, D. L. (1984) Boundary value problems and sharp inequalities for martingale transforms. Ann. Probab. 12: pp. 647-802 CrossRef
- Burkholder, D. L. (1991) Explorations in martingale theory and its applications. Ecole d’Eté de Probabilité de Saint-Flour XIX-1989. Springer, Berlin, pp. 1-66 CrossRef
- Christ, M. (1990) A T(b) theorem with remarks on analytic capacity and the Cauchy integral. Colloq. Math. 60/61: pp. 601-628
- Clark, D. (1972) One dimensional perturbations of restricted shift. J. Analyse Math. 25: pp. 169-191 CrossRef
- Cohn, W. (1982) Carleson measures for functions orthogonal to invariant subspaces. Pacific J. Math. 103: pp. 347-364
- Cohn, W. (1986) Carleson measures and operators on star-invariant subspaces. J. Operator Theory 15: pp. 181-202
- M. Cotlar and C. Sadosky,On the Helson-Szegö theorem and a related class of modified Toeplitz kernels, inHarmonic Analysis in Euclidean Spaces (G. Weiss and S. Wainger, eds.), Proc. Sympos. Pure Math.35 (1979), 383–407.
- David, O. (1998) Completely unrectifiable 1-sets on the plane have zero analytic capacity. Rev. Mat. Iberoamericana 14: pp. 369-479
- David, G. (1999) Analytic capacity, Cauchy kernel, Menger curvature, and rectifiability. Harmonic Analysis and Partial Differential Equations (Chicago, IL, 1996). Univ. Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, pp. 183-197
- David, G. (1999) Analytic capacity, Calderón-Zygmund operators, and rectifiability. Publ. Mat. 43: pp. 3-25
- David, G., Mattila, P. (2000) Removable sets for Lipschitz harmonic functions in the plane. Rev. Mat. Iberoamericana 16: pp. 137-215
- Kapustin, V. (2001) Spectral analysis of almost unitary operators. Algebra i Analiz 13: pp. 44-68
- Kato, T. (1980) Perturbation Theory for Linear Operators. Springer-Verlag, Berlin
- Vasyunin, N. Makarov and V. (1981) A model for noncontractions and stability of the continuous spectrum. Complex Analysis and Spectral Theory (Leningrad, 1979/1980). Springer, Berlin-New York, pp. 365-412
- F. Nazarov,A solution to a problem of D. Sarason, preprint.
- Nazarov, F., Treil, S. (1996) The hunt for a Bellman function: applications to estimates of singular integral operators and to other classical problems in harmonic analysis. St. Petersburg Math. J. 8: pp. 32-162
- F. Nazarov and A. Volberg,Linear growth of resolvent and perturbations on certain thin spectrum, preprint.
- F. Nazarov, S. Treil and A. Volberg,Cauchy integral and Calderón-Zygmund operators on nonhomogeneous spaces, Internat. Math. Res. Notices (1997), No. 15, 703–726.
- F. Nazarov, S. Treil and A. Volberg,Weak type estimates and Cotlar inequalities for Calderón-Zygmund operators on nonhomogeneous spaces, Internat. Math. Res. Notices (1998), No. 9, 463–487.
- Nazarov, F., Treil, S., Volberg, A. (1999) The Bellman function and two-weight inequality for Haar multipliers. J. Amer. Math. Soc. 12: pp. 909-928 CrossRef
- F. Nazarov, S. Treil and A. Volberg,Tb-theorem on non-homogeneous spaces, preprint, 1999, pp. 1–84. See http://www.math.msu.edu/volberg. To appear in Acta Math.
- Nazarov, F., Treil, S., Volberg, A. (2002) Accretive system Tb-theorems on non-homogeneous spaces. Duke Math. J. 113: pp. 237-290 CrossRef
- Nazarov, F., Treil, S., Volberg, A. (2001) Bellman function in stochastic optimal control and harmonic analysis, preprint, to appear in Proc. Internat. Workshop on Operator Theory, Bordeaux, 2000. Oper. Theory Adv. Appl. 129: pp. 393-424
- F. Nazarov, S. Treil and A. Volberg,Two-weight Hilbert transform and related Calderón-Zygmund operators, manuscript.
- Nikolski, N. (1986) Treatise on the Shift Operator. Springer-Verlag, Berlin
- N. Nikolski and S. Treil,Linear resolvent growth of rank one perturbation of a unitary operator does not imply its similarity to a normal operator, J. Analyse Math.87 (2002), this volume.
- Poltoratski, A. (1994) The boundary behavior of pseudocontinuable functions. St. Petersburg Math. J. 5: pp. 389-406
- Poltoratski, A. (1996) On the distributions of boundary values of Cauchy integrals. Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 124: pp. 2455-2463 CrossRef
- Poltoratski, A. (1999) The Krein spectral shift and rank one perturbation of spectra. St. Petersburg Math. J. 10: pp. 143-183
- Poltoratski, A. (2000) Equivalence up to a rank one perturbation. Pacific J. Math. 194: pp. 175-188 CrossRef
- A. Poltoratski,Maximal properties of the normalized Cauchy transform, preprint.
- Sarason, D. (1988) Nearly invariant subspaces of the backward shift. Oper. Theory Adv. Appl. 35: pp. 481-493
- Simon, B. (1995) Spectral analysis of rank one perturbations and applications. Mathematical Quantum Theory. II. Schrödinger operators (Vancouver, BC, 1993). Amer. Math. Soc, Providence, RI, pp. 109-149
- Simon, B., Wolff, Th. (1986) Singular continuous spectrum under rank one perturbations and localization for random Hamiltonians. Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 39: pp. 75-90 CrossRef
- Stein, E. (1993) Harmonic Analysis: Real-Variable Methods, Orthogonality, and Oscillatory Integrals. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton
- Tolsa, X. (1998) Curvature of measures, Cauchy singular integral, and analytic capacity. Dept. Math., Univ., Auton. de Barcelona
- X. Tolsa,BMO, H1 and Calderón-Zygmund operators for non-doubling measures, preprint Chalmers Inst. of Technology, 1999, pp. 1–54.
- Tolsa, X. (1999) L2-boundedness of the Cauchy integral operator for continuous measures. Duke Math. J. 98: pp. 269-304 CrossRef
- Tolsa, X. (1998) Collar’s inequality and the existence of principal values for the Cauchy integral without doubling condition. J. Reine Angew Math. 502: pp. 199-235
- Treil, S., Volberg, A. (1986) Embedding theorems for invariant subspaces of the inverse shift operator. Zap. Nauchn. Sem. Leningrad. Otdel. Mat. Inst. Steklov (LOMI) 149: pp. 186-187
- Volberg, A. (1981) Thin and thick families of rational fractions. Complex Analysis and Spectral Theory (Leningrad, 1979/1980). Springer, Berlin-New York, pp. 440-480 CrossRef
- The Bellman function, the two-weight Hilbert transform, and embeddings of the model spacesK θ
Journal d’Analyse Mathématique
Volume 87, Issue 1 , pp 385-414
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links