Evaluation of potato clones for resistance to tuber and stem rot induced byErwinia chrysanthemi
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Tubers of 149 clones ofSolarium tuberosum subsp.andigena (andigena) from four self-pollinated (S1) families (Jak 072, 702440, 700718 and Och 5331) obtained from true seed were rated for resistance toErwinia chrysanthemi. The clones were classified into four arbitrary categories based on disease reaction: resistant, intermediate, susceptible, and very susceptible. In family Jak 072, 23% of the clones were resistant and 61% intermediate. In family Och 5331, 22% of the clones were susceptible and 67% very susceptible; and in families 702440 and 700718, 38% and 29% of the clones were intermediate and 45% and 40% were susceptible, respectively. Tubers of 11 clones chosen to represent each one of the four categories were inoculated withE. chrysanthemi (Ech), E. carotovora subsp.carotovora (Ecc) andE. carotovora subsp.atroseptica (Eca). Clones responded similarly toEch andEca. However,Ecc induced significantly more rot thanEch orEca, presumably favored by the temperature of incubation (25°C). Clones Jak 072-17 and Jak 072-18 were resistant to the three bacterial pathogens. Above ground stems of 6 of the 11 selected clones inoculated withEch were susceptible to stem rot. No correlation was found between the response of tubers and above ground stems to tuber and stem rot induced byEch.
- De Boer, S.H. and A. Keltnan. 1978. Influence of oxygen concentration and storage factors on susceptibility of potato tubers to bacterial soft rot (Erwinia carotovora). Potato Res 21:65–80. CrossRef
- Dobías, K. 1975. Vztah mezi rezistencí proti mokré hnilobe hlíz a rezistencé proti cernání stonku brambor. Rostlinná Vyroba 21:145–150.
- Dobías, K. 1977. Moznosti slechteni na rezistencí proti cernání stonku brambor [Erwinia carotovora (Jones) Holland]. Rostlinná Vyroba 23:255–260.
- Dobías, K. 1977. Provakancí zkuosky rezistencí brambor proti cercání stonku. Ochrana Rostlin 13:101–106.
- Dobías, K. 1977. (The relationship between resistance to black leg and tuber wet rot in progenies from crosses of potato varieties which differ in resistance.) Havlickove Brode 6:75–83(In Potato Abstr 3:560).
- French, E.R. and L. de Lindo. 1979. TheErwinias of potatoes in Peru. Pages 88–93 in: Developments in Control of Potato Bacterial Diseases. Report of a Planning Conference. Int Potato Center, Lima, Peru.
- Hahn, W. and K. Schuler. 1974. Resistenzprufung der Kartoffelknolle gegen den Erreger der Nassfaule,Pectobacterium carotovorum Jones (Waldee). 2. Mitt. Untersuchungen des Kulturkartoffel-Weltsortimentes. Archiv fur Zuchtungsforschung 4:169–177.
- Ibrahim, M., B. Jouan, R. Samson, F. Poutier, and M. Sally. 1978. Prospects of a pathogenicity test concerningErwinia carotovora var.carotovora, on half potato tubers, variation according to: variety of bacterial species and strains, inoculum dose, temperature, varieties of potatoes, physiological age of tubers and delay between injury and inoculation. Proc 4th Int Conf Plant Pathogenic Bacteria. Angers, France, 1978. p. 591–602.
- Kelman, A. 1979. Present and future status of bacterial diseases of potatoes in the low land tropics. Pages 20–27 in: Developments in Control of Potato Bacterial Diseases. Report of a Planning Conference. Int Potato Center, Lima, Peru.
- Kieseler, E.P. and A.K. Novoselov. 1975. (The resistance of potato varieties to bacterial soft rot of the tubers in the primor’e region). Nauch tr NII Kartof Kh-ua 20:121–124 (In Potato Abstr 2:490).
- Komorowska-Jedrys, J. 1975. (Laboratory assessment to the resistance of potato tuber to wet rot caused byErwinia carotovora var.atroseptica). Biuletyn Instytutu Zeimniaka 15:85–96. (In Potato Abstr 1:1594).
- Lindo, L. de, E.R. French, and A. Kelman. 1978.Erwinia spp. pathogenic to potatoes in Peru. Am Potato J 55:383 (Abstr).
- Perombelon, M.C.M. 1979. Ecology of soft rot Erwinias in relation to potatoes. Pages 94–118 in: Developments in Control of Potato Bacterial Diseases. Report of a Planning Conference. Int Potato Center, Lima, Peru.
- Perombelon, M.C.M. and A. Kelman. 1980. Ecology of the soft rot Erwinias. Ann Rev Phytopathol 18:361–87. CrossRef
- Serdyuk, L.S. and B.N. Dorozhkin. 1980. (Evaluation of varieties and forms of potato for resistance toErwinia atroseptica) Kartofel’ i Ouoshchi 3:14–15 (In Potato Abstr 5:1334).
- Tanii, A. and T. Baba. 1971. Bacterial plant diseases in Hokkaido II. Bacterial stem rot of potato plant caused byErwinia chrysanthemi Burkholder et al. (Pectobacterium carotovorum var.chrysanthemi). Hokkaido Pref Agric Exp Stn Bull 24:1–10.
- Tomchuck, N.G., S.I. Bel’Skaya, and S.I. Generalova. 1978. (Selection of initial forms ofSolanum andigena for resistance to black leg). Kartofel’ i Ouoshchi 3:30 (In Potato Abstr 3:1158).
- Tominaga, T. and K. Ogasawara. 1979. Bacterial soft rot of potato caused byErwinia chrysanthemi. Ann Phytopathol Soc Japan 45:474–477.
- Webb, L.E. and R.K.S. Wood. 1972. Resistance of potato tubers to infection byErwinia carotovora var.atroseptica. Maas Geesternaus. (Ed). Proc 3rd Int Conf on Plant Pathogenic Bacteria. Wageningen, The Netherlands, 1971. p. 191–200.
- Zadina, Y. 1974. (Breeding potatoes for storage diseases in the Czechoslovakian SSR Ziemniak). Institut Ziemniaka 60–61. (In Potato Abstr 1:71).
- Evaluation of potato clones for resistance to tuber and stem rot induced byErwinia chrysanthemi
American Potato Journal
Volume 59, Issue 12 , pp 585-592
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Solanum tuberosum subsp.andigena
- screening for resistance
- Erwinia carotovora subsp.carotovora
- Erwinia carotovora subsp.atroseptica
- Industry Sectors