Biotinidase deficiency—Diagnosis by enzyme assay and a follow-up study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A 3 month old male child was brought to the hospital with complaints of skin rashes, developmental delay, seizures, seborrheic dermatitis, alopecia and mild, acidosis. The child was subjected to a simple metabolic screening protocol. The result of the screening and the clinical symptoms provided an index pointing towards biotinidase deficiency., a rare autosomal recessive, inherited metabolic disorder. The enzyme was then assayed by using n-biotinylp-aminobenzoate as substrate and the diagnosis confirmed. A follow-up of the case indicated the efficacy, of biotin supplementation in biotinidase deficiency.
- Survey of results of neonatal screening programs for biotinidase deficiency in (1987) Therell, B. (Ed.) Proceedings of the International Symposium for Neonatal Screening, Amsterdam, Elsevier, 231.
- Sander, J.E., Packman, S. and Townsend, J.J. (1982) Brain pyruvate carboxylase and the pathophysiology of biotin—dependent diseases. Neurology 32, 878.
- Dirrow, M., Superti-Furga, A., Durand, P., Cerone, R. and Romano, C. (1984) Different organic acid patterns in urine and in cerebrospinal fluid in a patient with biotinidase deficiency. J. Inherited Metab. Dis. 7 (Suppl 2), 119.
- Diamantopoulous, N., Painter, M.J., Wolf, B., Heard, G.S. and Roe, C. (1986). Biotinidase deficiency: Accumulation of lactate in the brain in response to physiologic doses of biotin. Neurology 36, 1107.
- Weissbecker, K.A., Wolf, B., Puissan, C. and Nance, W.E. (1985) Detection of heterozygotes for biotinidase deficiency. Am J. Hum. Genet. 37, A 81.
- Heard, G.S., Secor McVoy, J.R. and Wolf, B. (1984) A screening method for biotinidase deficiency in new borns. Clin. Chem. 30, 125.
- The Metabolic Basis of Inherited Disease, Vol. II, 6th Edition; (1989) Editors: Charles R. Scriver, Arthur L. Beaudet, William S. Sly and David Valle; Mc Graw Hill Information Services Company, Health Professions Division, USA.
- Hayawaka, K. and Oizumi, J. (1986) Determination of biotinidase activity by liquid chromatography with fluorimetric detection. J. Chromat. 383, 148. CrossRef
- Wastall, H., Dole, G. and Bartlett, K. (1984) A sensitive fluorimetric method rate assay for biotinidase deficiency using a new derivative of biotin, biotinyl—6- amino quinilone. Anal. Biochem. 140,69. CrossRef
- Pispa, J. (1965) Animal biotinidase. Ann. Med. Exp. Biol. Fenn, 43 (Suppl. 5), 1.
- Chauhan, J., and Dakshinamurti, K. (1986) Purification and characterization of human serum biotinidase. J. Biol. Chem. 261, 4268.
- Craft, D.V., Goss, N.H., Chandramouli, N. and Wood, H.G. (1985) Purification of biotinidase from human plasma and its activity on biotinyl peptides. Biochem. 24, 2471. CrossRef
- Biotinidase deficiency—Diagnosis by enzyme assay and a follow-up study
Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry
Volume 18, Issue 2 , pp 23-26
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- n-biotinyl para aminobenzoate