Critical identification of Mexican archaeological cotton remains
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Measurements of cotton boll segments from caves near Mitla, Oaxaca, Mexico, datable between 700 and 1300 A.D., indicate that the archaeological material is more closely related to the modern racespunctatum andlatifolium ofG. hirsutum than it is to other races. This is supported by the shape of the bolls and, particularly, by the high percentage of tufted seeds found in the archaeological cotton.
That the material isG. hirsutum has now been confirmed by examination of an archaeological peduncle which clearly shows the fringe of hairs above the true floral nectary, virtually a hallmark of the species. The external extra-floral nectaries completely eliminate the possibility that this could be an Asiatic cultivated cotton.
All of the Mexican archaeological cotton known so far is completely domesticated. We have no evidence as to where cotton originated as a cultigen. It was introduced into the Tehuacán and Oaxaca Valleys as a cultivated plant.
- Flannery, K. V., Kirkby, A. V. T., Kirkby, M. J., Williams, A. W. (1967) Farming systems and political growth in ancient Oaxaca. Science 158: pp. 445-454 CrossRef
- Richmond, T. R., Lewis, C. F., Gadkari, P. D. (1956) The regional collection of cotton species, interspecific hybrids, races ofGossypium hirsutum and genetically marked stocks. Tex. Agric. Exp. Sta. & Cot. Sect.. U. S. D. A., College Station, Texas
- Smith, C. E. Jr. Chapter 12. Plant Remains. In: Byers, D. S. eds. (1968) Prehistory of the Tehuacán Valley. U. Texas Press, Austin
- Smith, C. E. Jr., Kerr, T. (1968) Pre-Conquest plant fibers from the Tehuacán Valley, Mexico. Econ. Bot. 22: pp. 354-358
- Stephens, S. G. A cotton boll segment from Coxcatlan cave. In: Byers, D. S. eds. (1968) The pre-history of the Tehuacán Valley. Texas Press, Austin, pp. 256-260
- Warner, R. E., Smith, C. E. (1968) Boll weevil found in pre-Columbian cotton in Mexico. Science 162: pp. 911-912 CrossRef
- Critical identification of Mexican archaeological cotton remains
Volume 25, Issue 2 , pp 160-168
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors