Management of chronic hepatitis B and C virus infections
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Hepatitis B and C virus (HBV and HCV) infections present an important health problem causing significant morbidity and mortality on a worldwide scale. The younger the subjects infected, the higher the risk predisposing to progression towards chronic infection. Treatment of chronic HBV and HCV infections is aimed at reducing hepatic inflammation and thus improving the symptoms, decreasing the likelihood of long-term sequelae such as hepatocellular carcinoma, and increasing the survival rate. Interferon accelerates the spontaneous course of chronic HBV infection in children with greater disease activity and lower levels of replication. There is limited information on the use of lamivudine and its long-term benefit in children with chronic HBV infection. The response of combination therapy with IFN and ribavirin in children with chronic HCV infection is still under investigation. The long-term clinical and virological effects of various drugs used in chronic HBV and HCV infections on children remain to be evaluated.
- Kane M. Global programme for control of hepatitis B infection.Vaccine 1995; 13: S47–49.
- Mast EE, Alter MJ, Margolis HS. Strategies to prevent and control hepatitis B and C virus infections: a global perspective.Vaccine 1999; 17: 1730–1733. CrossRef
- Gust ID. Epidemiology of hepatitis B infection in the Western Pacific and South East Asia.Gut 1996; 38: S18–23. CrossRef
- Canadian consensus conference on the management of viral hepatitis. Canadian Association for the Study of the Liver.Can J Gastroenterol 2000; 14 : 5B–20B.
- Stevens CE, Beasley RP, Tsui J, Lee WC. Vertical transmission of hepatitis B antigen in Taiwan.N Engl J Med 1975; 292: 771–774. CrossRef
- Hyams KC. Risks of chronicity following acute hepatitis B virus infection: a review.Clin Infect Dis 1995; 20: 992–1000.
- Fattovich G, Giustina G, Sanchez-Tapias Jet al. Delayed clearance of serum HBsAg in compensated cirrhosis B: relation to interferon alpha therapy and disease prognosis. European Concerted Action on Viral Hepatitis (EUROHEP).Am J Gastroenterol 1998; 93: 896–900. CrossRef
- Knodell RG, Ishak KG, Black WCet al. Formulation and application of a numerical scoring system for assessing histological activity in asymptomatic chronic active hepatitis.Hepatology 1981; 1: 431–435. CrossRef
- Jara P, Bortolotti F. Interferon-alpha treatment of chronic hepatitis B in childhood: a consensus ’advice based on experience in European children.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1999; 29: 163–170. CrossRef
- Lin SM, Sheen IS, Chien RN, Chu CM, Iiaw YF. Long-term beneficial effect of interferon therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis B virus infection.Hepatology 1999; 29: 971–975. CrossRef
- Bortolotti F, Jara P, Barbera Cet al. Long-term effect of alpha interferon in children with chronic hepatitis B.Gut 2000; 46: 715–718. CrossRef
- Lai CL, Chien RN, Leung NWet al. A one-year trial of lamivudine for chronic hepatitis B. Asia Hepatitis Lamivudine Study Group.N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 61–68. CrossRef
- Heathcote J, Schalm S, Ciancara Jet al. Lamivudine and Intron A combination treatment in chronic hepatitis B infection.Hepatology 1998; 28: S43.
- Schiff E, Karayalcin S, Grimm Iet al. A placebo-controlled study of lamivudine and interferon alpha 2 b in patients with chronic hepatitis B who previously failed interferon therapy.Hepatology 1998; 28: S43.
- Allen MI, Deslauriers M, Andrews CWet al. Identification and characterization of mutations in hepatitis B virus resistant to lamivudine. Lamivudine Clinical Investigation Group.Hepatology 1998; 27: 1670–1677. CrossRef
- Sokal EM, Roberts EA, Mieli-Vergani Get al. A dose ranging study of the pharmacokinetics, safety, and preliminary efficacy of lamivudine in children and adolescents with chronic hepatitis B.Antimicr Agents Chemother 2000; 44: 590–597. CrossRef
- Lok AS, Ghany MG, Watson G, Ayola B. Predictive value of aminotransferase and hepatitis B virus DNA levels on response to interferon therapy for chronic hepatitis B.J Viral Hepat 1998; 5: 171–178. CrossRef
- Fattovich G, Mclntyre G, Thursz Met al. Hepatitis B virus precore/core variation and interferon therapy.Hepatology 1995; 22: 1355–1362.
- Tassopoulos NC, Volpes R, Pastore Get al. Efficacy of lamivudine in patients with hepatitis B e antigen-negative/ hepatitis B virus DNA-positive (precore mutant) chronic hepatitis B.Lamivudine Precore Mutant Study Group.Hepatology 1999; 29: 889–896. CrossRef
- Ruiz Moreno M, Jimenez J, Porres JC, Bartolome J, Moreno A, Carreno V. A controlled trial of recombinant interferon-alpha in Caucasian children with chronic hepatitis B.Digestion 1990; 45: 26–33.
- Ruiz-Moreno M, Rua MJ, Molina Jet al. Prospective, randomized controlled trial of interferon-alpha in children with chronic hepatitis B.Hepatology 1991; 13: 1035–1039.
- Utili R, Sagnelli E, Galanti Bet al. Prolonged treatment of children with chronic hepatitis B with recombinant alpha 2a-interferon: a controlled, randomized study.Am J Gastroenterol 1991; 86: 327–330.
- Sokal EM, Wirth S, Goyens P, Depreterre A, Cornu C. Interferon alfa-2b therapy in children with chronic hepatitis B.Gut 1993; 34: S87-S90. CrossRef
- Barbera C, Bortolotti F, Crivellaro Cet al. Recombinant interferon-alpha 2a hastens the rate of HBeAg clearance in children with chronic hepatitis B.Hepatology 1994; 20: 287–290. CrossRef
- Sokal EM, Conjeevaram HS, Roberts EAet al. Interferon alfa therapy for chronic hepatitis B in children: a multinational randomized controlled trial.Gastroenterology 1998; 114: 988–995. CrossRef
- Kocak N, Saltik IN, Ozen H, Yuce, Gurakan F. Lamivudine treatment for children with interferon refractory chronic hepatitis B.Hepatology 2000; 31: 545. CrossRef
- Kocak N, Ozen H, Saltik IN, Gurakan F, Yuce A. Lamivudine for children with chronic hepatitis B.Am J Gastroenterol 2000; 95: 2989–2990.
- Hepatitis C.Wkly Epidemiol Rec 1997; 72: 65–69.
- Hepatitis C—global prevalence (update).Wkly Epidemiol Rec 1999; 74 : 425–427.
- Chang MH, Ni YH, Hwang LHet al. Long term clinical and virologic outcome of primary hepatitis C virus infection in children: a prospective study.Pediatr Infect Dis J 1994; 13: 769–773. CrossRef
- Vogt M, Lang T, Frosner Get al. Prevalence and clinical outcome of hepatitis C infection in children who underwent cardiac surgery before the implementation of blood-donor screening.N Engl J Med 1999; 341: 866–870. CrossRef
- Zancan L, Strafella MS, Brugiolo A, Malusa T, d’Amore ES. Chronic hepatitis C virus infection in childhood and early cirrhosis: it is possible?J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2000; 30: 350–351. CrossRef
- Ohto H, Terazawa S, Sasaki Net al. Transmission of hepatitis C virus from mothers to infants. The Vertical Transmission of Hepatitis C Virus Collaborative Study Group.N Engl J Med 1994; 330: 744–750. CrossRef
- Zanetti AR, Tanzi E, Romano Let al. A prospective study on mother-to-infant transmission of hepatitis C virus.Intervirology 1998; 41: 208–212. CrossRef
- Thomas DL, Villano SA, Riester KAet al. Perinatal transmission of hepatitis C virus from human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected mothers. Women and Infants Transmission Study.J Infect Dis 1998; 177: 1480–1488.
- Lin HH, Kao JH, Hsu HYet al. Absence of infection in breastfed infants born to hepatitis C virus-infected mothers.J Pediatr 1995; 126: 589–591. CrossRef
- Legler TJ, Riggert J, Simson Get al. Testing of individual blood donations for HCV RNA reduces the residual risk of transfusion-transmitted HCV infection.Transfusion 2000; 40: 1192–1197. CrossRef
- Beld M, Habibuw MR, Rebers SP, Boom R, Reesink HW. Evaluation of automated RNA-extraction technology and a qualitative HCV assay for sensitivity and detection of HCV RNA in pool-screening systems.Transfusion 2000; 40: 575–579. CrossRef
- Nishiguchi S, Shiomi S, Nakatani Set al. Prevention of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic active hepatitis C and cirrhosis.Lancet 2001; 357: 196–197. CrossRef
- Reichard O, Norkrans G, Fryden A, Braconier JH, Sonnerborg A, Weiland O. Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of interferon alpha-2b with and without ribavirinlor chronic hepatitis C. The Swedish Study Group.Lancet 1998; 351: 83–87. CrossRef
- Poynard T, Marcellin P, Lee SSet al. Randomised trial of interferon alpha2b plus ribavirin for 48 weeks or for 24 weeks versus interferon alpha2b plus placebo for 48 weeks for treatment of chronic infection with hepatitis C virus. International Hepatitis Interventional Therapy Group (IHIT).Lancet 1998; 352: 1426–1432. CrossRef
- Davis GL, Esteban-Mur R, Rustgi Vet al. Interferon alfa-2b alone or in combination with ribavirin for the treatment of relapse of chronic hepatitis C. International Hepatitis Interventional Therapy Group.N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 1493–1499. CrossRef
- Reddy KR, Wright TL, Pockros PJet al. Efficacy and safety of pegylated (40-kd) interferon alpha-2a compared with interferon alpha-2a in noncirrhotic patients with chronic hepatitis C.Hepatology 2001; 33: 433–438. CrossRef
- Ruiz-Moreno M, Rua MJ, Castillo Iet al. Treatment of children with chronic hepatitis C with recombinant interferon-alpha: a pilot study.Hepatology 1992; 16: 882–885. CrossRef
- Bortolotti F, Giacchino R, Vajro Pet al. Recombinant interferon-alfa therapy in children with chronic hepatitis C.Hepatology 1995; 22: 1623–1627.
- Fujisawa T, Inui A, Ohkawa T, Komatsu H, Miyakawa Y, Onoue M. Response to interferon therapy in children with chronic hepatitis C.J Pediatr 1995; 127: 660–662. CrossRef
- Iorio R, Pensati P, Porzio S, Fariello I, Guida S, Vegnente A. Lymphoblastoid interferon alfa treatment in chronic hepatitis C.Arch Dis Child 1996; 74: 152–156.
- Matsuoka S, Mori K, Nakano Oet al. Efficacy of interferons in treating children with chronic hepatitis C.Eur J Pediatr 1997; 156: 704–708. CrossRef
- Jonas MM, Ott MJ, Nelson SP, Badizadegan K, Perez-Atayde AR. Interferon-alpha treatment of chronic hepatitis C virus infection in children.Pediatr Infect Dis J 1998; 17: 241–246. CrossRef
- Sawada A, Tajiri H, Kozaiwa Ket al. Favorable response to lymphoblastoid interferon-alpha in children with chronic hepatitis C.J Hepatol 1998; 28: 184–188. CrossRef
- Management of chronic hepatitis B and C virus infections
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 69, Issue 2 , pp 149-154
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Chronic hepatitis
- Industry Sectors