Simulation and sensitivity study of potato flake food processing
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We made a sensitivity study of the potato flake process using the ERRC Food Process Simulator computer program with cost as the primary objective function. The study showed that labor was the largest component of the processing cost followed by capital related expenses. Pilot plant operation demonstrated the feasibility of reducing labor requirements. Capital related expenses could be minimized by using four drum dryers to more closely match the through put of the rest of the process. In addition, the drum dryers should be run as close to 8% moisture as possible without exceeding 8% to optimize the yield of finished product. This study demonstrates the feasibility of using the ERRC Food Process Simulator to do a sensitivity study of potato processing.
- Kozempel, M.F., J.C. Craig, Jr., J.F. Sullivan and W. Damert. 1988. Computer simulation in potato processing. Biotechnol Prog 4(2):63–67. CrossRef
- Wegstein, J.H. 1958. Accelerating convergence of interaction processes. Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery 1:6–9.
- Kozempel, M.F., J.F. Sullivan and J.C. Craig, Jr. 1981. Model for blanching potatoes and other vegetables. Lebensm-Wiss u-Technol 14:331–335.
- Kozempel, M.F., J.F. Sullivan and J.C. Craig, Jr. 1983. Effect of temperature on the model for blanching potatoes and other vegetables. Lebensm-Wiss u-Technol 16:338–342.
- Kozempel, M.F., J.F. Sullivan and J.C. Craig, Jr. 1985. Modelling and simulating commercial hot water blanching of potatoes. Am Potato J 62:69–82.
- Kozempel, M.F. 1988. Modelling the kinetics of cooking and precooking potatoes. J Food Sci 53:753–755. CrossRef
- Kozempel, M.F., J.F. Sullivan, J.C. Craig, Jr. and W.K. Heiland. 1986. Drum Drying potato flakes. A predictive model. Lebensm-Wiss u-Technol 19:193–197.
- Kozempel, M.F., P.M. Tomasula, J.C. Craig, Jr. and M.J. Kurantz. 1990. Effect of potato composition on drum dryer capacity. Lebensm-Wiss u-Technol 23:312–316.
- Anon. Economic Indicators. 1989. Chemical Engineering 96(8):206.
- Talburt, W.F. and O. Smith. 1987. Potato Processing, 4th Ed., Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York, NY p. 23.
- Simulation and sensitivity study of potato flake food processing
American Potato Journal
Volume 70, Issue 2 , pp 93-100
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- drum dry systems
- Industry Sectors