Pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A and asthma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A (PAPP-A) is potentially a proatherosclerotic metalloproteinase and a new inflammatory marker. Investigators sought to evaluate the significance of PAPP-A in patients with asthma. Blood samples were collected from 35 patients and 20 control subjects. Serum PAPP-A was determined by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. PAPP-A levels of patients with asthma (8.1±5.0 mU/L) were higher than those of the control group (4.9±2.1 mU/L) (P < .01). A significant correlation was noted between serum PAPP-A concentration and asthma severity (r=.581;P < .01). Investigators concluded that PAPP-A may contribute to airway smooth muscle hyperplasia as an insulin-like growth factor-dependent insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-4 protease in patients with asthma.
- Rosen CJ. Serum insulin-like growth factors and insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins: clinical implications.Clin Chem. 1999; 45: 1384–1390.
- Bayes-Genis A, Schwartz RS, Lewis DA, et al. Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-4 protease produced by smooth muscle cells increases in the coronary artery after angioplasty.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2001; 21: 335–341.
- Lawrence JB, Oxvig C, Overgaard MT, et al. The insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-dependent IGF-binding protein-4 (IGFBP-4) protease secreted by human fibroblasts is pregnancy associated plasma protein-A.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1999; 96: 3149–3153. CrossRef
- Bayes-Genis A, Conover CA, Overgaard MT, et al. Pregnancy-associated plasma protein A as a new marker of acute coronary syndromes.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 1022–1029. CrossRef
- Bradding P, Roberts JA, Britten KM, et al. Interleukin-4, -5, and -6 and tumor necrosis factor-α in normal and asthmatic airways: evidence for the human mast cell as a source of these cytokines.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 1994; 10: 471–480.
- Ververis JJ, Ku L, Delafontaine P. Regulation of insulin-like growth factor I receptors on vascular smooth muscle cells by growth factors and phorbol esters.Circ Res. 1993; 72: 1285–1292.
- Stiles A, D’Ercole J. The insulin-like growth factors and the lung.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 1990; 3: 93–100.
- Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA). Global strategy for asthma management and prevention. Available at: www.ginasthma.org. Accessed March 19, 2007.
- Lin TM, Galbert SP, Kiefer D, Spellacy WN, Gall S. Characterization of four human pregnancy-associated plasma proteins.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1974; 118: 223–236.
- Oxvig C, Haaning J, Kristensen L, et al. Identification of angiotensinogen and complement C3dg as novel proteins binding the proform of eosinophil major basic protein in human pregnancy serum and plasma.J Biol Chem. 1995; 270: 13645–13651. CrossRef
- Stöcker W, Grams F, Baumann U, et al. The metzincins—topological and sequential relations between the astacins, adamalysins, serralysins, and matrixins (collagenases) define a superfamily of zinc-peptidases.Protein Sci. 1995; 4: 823–840. CrossRef
- Coskun A, Ozdemir I, Yavuz O, Guler S, Sahin IE. In vitro stability of pregnancy-associated plasma protein A.J Turkish German Gynecol Assoc. 2005; 6: 235–237.
- Hoshino M, Nakamura Y, Sim JJ. Expression of growth factors and remodeling of the airway wall in bronchial asthma.Thorax. 1998; 53: 21–27. CrossRef
- Nakamura Y, Tate L, Ertl RF, et al. Bronchial epithelial cells regulate fibroblast proliferation.Am J Physiol. 1995; 269: L377-L387.
- Brewster CE, Howarth PH, Djukanovic R, Wilson J, Holgate ST, Roche WR. Myofibroblasts and subepithelial fibrosis in bronchial asthma.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 1990; 3: 507–511.
- Cohen P, Noveral JP, Bhala A, Nunn SE, Herrick DJ, Grunstein MM. Leukotriene D4 facilitates airway smooth muscle cell proliferation via modulation of the IGF axis.Am J Physiol. 1995; 269: L151-L157.
- Rajah R, Nunn S, Herrick D, Grunstein MM, Cohen P. LTD-4 induces matrix metalloproteinase-1 which functions as an IGFBP protease in airway smooth muscle cells.Am J Physiol. 1996; 271: L1014-L1022.
- Rajah R, Nachajon RV, Collins MH, Hakonarson H, Grunstein MM, Cohen P. Elevated levels of the IGF-binding protein protease MMP-1 in asthmatic airway smooth muscle.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 1999; 20: 199–208.
- Resch ZT, Chen BK, Bale LK, Oxvig C, Overgaard MT, Conover CA. Pregnancy associated plasma protein A: gene expression as a target of inflammatory cytokines.Endocrinology. 2004; 145: 1124–1129. CrossRef
- Fialova L, Kalousova M, Soukupova J, et al. Relationship of pregnancy-associated plasma protein-a to renal function and dialysis modalities.Kidney Blood Press Res. 2004; 27: 88–95. CrossRef
- Pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A and asthma
Advances in Therapy
Volume 24, Issue 2 , pp 362-367
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Healthcare Communications
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Duzce University, School of Medicine, Duzce, Turkey
- 2. Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Osman Gazi University School of Medicine, Eskisehir, Turkey
- 3. Department of Cardiology, Turkey