Evaluation of bone mineral density in children with diabetes mellitus
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Multiple studies have documented reduction in peripheral bone mass in children with insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM). In this study, the bone mineral density (BMD) of the lumbar vertebrae (L2–L4) was measured by dual photon absorptiometry in 14 female and 16 male diabetic patients of age 11 to 16 years with varying clinical duration. Twenty three children between 11 to 16 years with normal anthropometric measurements between 10th and 97th percentile and no known history of metabolic bone disease served as a control group. BMD values, weight, height, body mass index, metabolic, biochemical and growth parameters of the study group were compared with those of the control group. BMD (L2 AP 0.732±0.15 gm/cm2, L2 lateral 0.534 ±0.09 gm/cm2in the study group and 0.812±0.63 gm/cm2 and 0.619±0.20 gm/cm2 in the control group) and osteoccalcin (10.10±3.40 ng/ml and 23.12±2.74 ng/ml in diabetes and control respectively) levels were significantly lower in diabetic patients (p<0.05, p<0.01 respectively). Within the study group BMD correlated positively with age but not with the duration of the disease nor with the level of metabolic control.
- Marvin EL, Vincenza CB, Louis VA. Effects of diabetes mellitus in juvenile and adult onset diabetes.N Engl J Med 1976; 294: 241–245. CrossRef
- Stephan WP, David PM, Danial F, An DT, Gerald WO, Ben HB. Bone mineral density of the lumbar vertebrae in children and adolescents with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.J Pediatr 1992; 120: 541–545. CrossRef
- Stephan WP, David PM, Daniel F, Judy LP, Margaret GM, Ben HB. Spinal bone mineral density in children aged 5.00 through 11.99 years.AJDC 1990; 144: 1346–1348.
- Siu LH, Solomon E, Conrad CJ. A prospective study of bone mass in patients with type 1 diabetes.J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1985; 60: 74–80.
- Catherine G, Pierre B, Louis D, Pierre C, Pierre JM, Pierre DD. Measurement of bone mineral content of the lumbar spine by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry in normal children. Correlations with growth parameters.J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1990; 70: 1330–1333.
- Hosada K, Kanzaki S, Eguchi Het al. Secretion of osteocalcin and its propeptide from human osteoblastic cells: dissociation of the secretory patterns of osteocalcin and its propeptide.J Bone Miner Res 1993; 8: 553–565. CrossRef
- Rio DL, Carrascosa A, Pons F, Gusinye M, Yeste D, Domenech MF. Bone mineral density of lumbar spine in white mediterranean Spanish children and adolescents: Changes related to age, sex, and puberty.Pediatr Res 1994; 35: 362–366. CrossRef
- Waud CE, Markes SC, Lev R, Baran DT. Bone mineral density in the femur and lumbar vertebrae decreases after twelve weeks of diabetes in spontaneously diabetic prone BB/Worcester rats.Calcif Tissue Int 1994; 54: 237–240. CrossRef
- Roe TF, Mora S, Costin Get al. Vertebral bone density in insulin dependent diabetic children.Metabolism 1991; 40: 967–971. CrossRef
- Scott D, Robins SP, Nicol P, Chen XB, Buchan W. Effects of low phoshate intake on bone mineral metabolism and microbial protein systhesis in lambs.Exp Physicol 1994; 79 (2): 183–187.
- Bouillon R. Diabetic bone disease. Low turnover osteoporosis related to decreased IGF-1 production.Verh K Acad Geneeskd Belg 1992; 54 (4): 365–391.
- Juul A, Dagaard P, Blum FWet al. Serum levels of Insulin-like growth factor (IGF) Binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) in healthy infants, children and adolescent. The relation to IGF-1, IGF-II, IGFBP-1, IGFBP-2, age, sex, body mass index, and pubertal maturation.J Clin Endoc Metab 1995; 80 (8): 2534–2542. CrossRef
- McNair P, Madsbad S, Christensen MSet al. Hypoparathyroidism in diabetes mellitus.Acta Endocronologica 1981; 96: 81–86.
- McNair P, Madsbad S, Christensen MS, Christensen C, Faber OK, Binder C, Transbol I. Bone mineral loss in insulin treated diabetes mellitus: studies on pathogenesis.Acta Endocrinol 1979; 90: 463–467.
- Hough FS. Alterations of bone and mineral metabolism in diabetes mellitus.SAMJ 1987; 80: 120–126.
- Heath H, Lambert PW, Service FJ. Calcium homeostasis in diabetes mellitus.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1979; 49: 462–466. CrossRef
- Rosenbloom AL, Lezotte CD, Weber FT, Gudat Jet al. Diminution of bone mass in childhood diabetes.Diabetes 1977; 26: 1052–1055. CrossRef
- Forest MG. Adrenal steroid excess.Clinical Paediatric Endocrinology. Brook (ed), Blackwell science. Third Edition 1995; p. 499–535.
- Johnston CC, Slemenda CW, Melton JL. Clinical use of bone densitometry.N Eng J Metabol 1991; 324 (16): 1105–1109.
- Evaluation of bone mineral density in children with diabetes mellitus
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 66, Issue 3 , pp 375-379
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Bone mineral density
- Insulin dependent diabetes mellitus
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Ege University Faculty of Medicine, İzmir, Turkey
- 3. Division of Pediatrics, Ege University Faculty of Medicine, İzmir, Turkey
- 4. Division of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, Ege University Faculty of Medicine, İzmir, Turkey