Circulation in Carr Inlet, Puget Sound, during Spring 2003
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The relatively slow flow and exchange of Carr Inlet water with the main basin of Puget Sound, Washington, favor eutrophication. To study Carr Inlet’s circulation, the Model-measurement Integration Experiment in Estuary Dynamics (MIXED) was conducted in March–May 2003, spanning the spring bloom. From observations and numerical simulations the circulation was decomposed into tidal and subtidal components; the former was dominated by the M2 tide, the latter by atmospheric forcing. Near the surface, the subtidal velocity was correlated with wind. At mid depths, the subtidal velocity was organized into vertical bands arising from internal waves excited by wind forcing of the water surface. The tidal flow was more strongly steered by local bathymetry and weaker in peak magnitudes than the subtidal flow, yet it contributed more mechanical energy to the inlet. Tidal eddies reduce exchange of water through the inlet’s entrances. Numerical simulations with the Princeton Ocean Model recreated many observed features, including the three-layer vertical structure of outflow at the surface and bottom and inflow at mid depth, the mid-depth subtidal response to the wind, and characteristics of the tide. While the model produced greater subtidal flow magnitudes at depth and differences in the phase of the M2 tide compared to observations, overall the case study provided support for more comprehensive simulations of Puget Sound in the future.
- Arneborg, L. andB. Liljebladh. 2001. The internal seiches in Gullmar Fjord. Part I: Dynamics.Journal of Physical Oceanography 31:2549–2566. CrossRef
- Blumberg, A. F. andG. L. Mellor. 1987. A description of a three-dimensional coastal ocean circulation model, p. 55–88.In N. Heaps (ed.), Three-dimensional Coastal Ocean Models, Volume 4. American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C.
- Bos, J. K., R. A. Reynolds, J. Newton, and S. A. Albertson. 2001. Assessing sensitivity to eutrophication of the southern Puget Sound basin: Spatial and seasonal perspectives. Proceedings of the Puget Sound Research Conference, Seattle, Washington.
- Brooks, D. A., M. W. Baca, andY.-T. Lo. 1999. Tidal circulation and residence time in a macrotidal estuary: Cobscook Bay, Maine.Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 49:647–665. CrossRef
- D’Asaro, E. A. 2003. Performance of autonomous Lagrangian floats.Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 20:896–911. CrossRef
- Dunne, J. P., A. H. Devol, andS. Emerson. 2002. The Oceanic Remote Chemical/Optical Analyzer (ORCA): An autonomous moored profiler.Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 19: 1709–1721. CrossRef
- Fairall, C. W., E. F. Bradley, J. E. Hare, A. A. Grachev, andJ. B. Edson. 2003. Bulk parameterization of air-sea fluxes: Updates and verification for the COARE algorithm.Journal of Climate 16: 571–591. CrossRef
- Farmer, D. M. 1976. The influence of wind on the surface layer of a stratified inlet: Part II. Analysis.Journal of Physical Oceanography 6:941–952. CrossRef
- Finlayson, D. P., R. A. Haugerud, H. Greenberg, andM. G. Logsdon. 2000. Puget Sound Digital Elevation Model. University of Washington, Seattle, Washington. (http://students. washington.edu/dfinlays/pugetsound/).
- Flather, R. A. 1976. A tidal model of the northwest European continental shelf.Memoires de la Society Royal des Sciences de Liege 10:141–164.
- Heaps, N. S. andA. E. Ramsbottom. 1966. Wind effects on the water in a narrow two-layered lake.Philosophical Transactions for the Royal Society of London 259:391–430. CrossRef
- Joyce, T. M. 1989. On the in ‘situ’ calibration’ of ship-board ADCP.Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 6: 169–172. CrossRef
- Joyce, T. M., C. Wunsch, andS. D. Pierce. 1986. Synoptic Gulf Stream velocity profiles through simultaneous inversion of hydrographic and acoustic Doppler data.Journal of Geophysical Research 91:7573–7585. CrossRef
- Kasai, A., A. E. Hill, T. Fujiwara, andJ. H. Simpson. 2000. Effect of the Earth’s rotation on the circulation in regions of freshwater influence.Journal of Geophysical Research 105:16,961–16,969. CrossRef
- Kawase, M. 1998. A numerical model of Puget Sound circulation, p. 209–216. InProceedings of the Puget Sound Research Conference, Seattle, Washington.
- Kraus, E. B. andJ. S. Turner. 1967. A one-dimensional model of the seasonal thermocline.Tellus 19:98–105. CrossRef
- Large, W. andS. Pond. 1981. Open ocean momentum flux measurements in moderate to strong winds.Journal of Physical Oceanography 11:324–336. CrossRef
- Lavelle, J. W., H. O. Mofjeld, E. Lempriere-Doggett, G. A. Cannon, D. J. Pashinski, E. D. Cokelet, L. Lytle, and S. Gill. 1988. A multiply-connected channel model of tides and tidal currents in Puget Sound, Washington and a comparison with updated observations. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Technical Memo ERL PMEL-84. Seattle, WA.
- Limeburner, R. 1985. CODE 2: Moored array and large-scale data report. CODE Technical Report No. 38, Woods Hole Ocean-ographic Institute Technical Report 85-35. Woods Hole, MA. Lincoln, J. H. and E. Collias. 1975. An oceanographic study of the Port Orchard system. University of Washington Report for URS, M75-102. Seattle, Washington.
- Mackas, D. L. andP. J. Harrison. 1997. Nitrogenous nutrient sources and sinks in the Juan de Fuca Strait/Strait of Georgia/ Puget Sound estuarine system: Assessing the potential for eutrophication.Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 44:1–21. CrossRef
- Mass, C. F., M. Albright, D. Ovens, R. Steed, M. MacIver, E. Grimit, T. Eckel, B. Lamb, J. Vaughan, K. Westrick, P. Storck, B. Colman, C. Hill, N. Maykut, M. Gilroy, S. A. Ferguson, J. Yetter, J. M. Sierchio, C. Bowman, R. Stender, R. Wilson, andW. Brown. 2003. Regional environmental prediction over the Pacific Northwest.Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 84: 1353–1366. CrossRef
- Mellor, G. L. 2003. Users guide for a three-dimensional, primitive equation, numerical ocean model, June 2003 version. Progress in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey.
- Mellor, G. L. andT. Yamada. 1974. A hierarchy of turbulence closure models for planetary boundary layers.Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 31:1791–1806. CrossRef
- Newton, J., S. Albertson, andA. Thomson. 1998. Washington state marine water quality in 1996 and 1997. Technical Report 98-338. Washington State Department of Ecology, Olympia, Washington.
- Newton, J. A., E. Siegel, andS. L. Albertson. 2003. Oceano-graphic changes in Puget Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca during the 2000-01 drought.Canadian Water Resources Journal 28:715–728. CrossRef
- Nystuen, J. A. 2001. Listening to raindrops from underwater: An acoustic disdrometer.Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 18:1640–1657. CrossRef
- Officer, C. B. 1976. Physical Oceanography of Estuaries (and Associated Coastal Waters). John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Pawlowicz, R., B. Beardsley, andS. Lentz. 2002. Classical tidal harmonic analysis including error estimates in Matlab using T_TIDE.Computational Geosciences 28:929–937. CrossRef
- RDI. 2005. WorkHorse Monitor ADCP User’s Guide. Teledyne RD Instruments, Poway, California. Available online at www. rdinstruments.com.
- Rehm, E. 2006. In-situ measurement of primary productivity from a Lagrangian float. Ocean Sciences Meeting Supplement, Abstract OS25N-10. Eos Transactions, American Geophysical Union 87.
- Ruef, W., A. Devol, S. Emerson, J. Dunne, J. Newton, R. Reynolds, and J. Lynton. 2003. In situ and remote monitoring of water quality in south Puget Sound: The ORCA time series. Proceedings of the 2003 Georgia Basin/Puget Sound Research Conference, Vancouver, Canada.
- Rynearson, T. A. andE. V. Armbrust. 2004. Genetic differentiation among populations of the planktonic marine diatomDitylum brightwellii (Bacillariophyceae).Journal of Phycology 40: 34–43. CrossRef
- Spigel, R H. andJ. Imberger. 1980. The classification of mixed-layer dynamics in lakes of small to medium size.Journal of Physical Oceanography 10:1104–1121. CrossRef
- Strickland, R. M. 1983. The Fertile Fjord. Puget Sound Books, Washington Sea Grant Publication, Seattle, Washington.
- Valle-Levinson, A., N. Sarkar, R Sanya, D. Soto, andJ. Leon. 2007. Spatial structure of hydrography and flow in a Chilean fjord, Estuario Reloncaví.Estuaries and Coasts 30:113–126.
- Washington Department of Ecology. 2002. Georgia Basin-Puget Sound Ecosystem Indicators Report, Spring 2002. Technical Report 02-01-002, Washington State Department of Ecology, Olympia, Washington.
- Washington Department of Ecology. 2003. South Puget Sound Model Nutrient Study. Washington State Department of Ecology, Olympia, Washington. http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/eap/ spasm/.
- Winant, C. D. 2004. Three-dimensional flow in an elongated, rotating basin.Journal of Physical Oceanography 34:462–476. CrossRef
- Winter, D. F., K. Banse, andG. C. Anderson. 1974. The dynamics of phytoplankton blooms in Puget Sound, a fjord in the Northwestern United States.Marine Biology 29:139–176. CrossRef
- Wong, K.-C. 1994. On the nature of transverse variability in a coastal plain estuary.Journal of Geophysical Research 99:14,209–14,222.
- Devol, A. personal communication. School of Oceanography, Box 357940, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195-7940
- Emerson, S. personal communication. School of Oceanography, Box 357940, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195-7940
- Newton, J. personal communication. Applied Physics Laboratory, Box 355640, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105-6698
- Circulation in Carr Inlet, Puget Sound, during Spring 2003
Estuaries and Coasts
Volume 30, Issue 6 , pp 945-958
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Applied Physics Laboratory, University of Washington, 98105-6698, Seattle, Washington
- 2. School of Oceanography, University of Washington, 98105-5351, Seattle, Washington
- 3. 3TIER, 2001 6th Avenue, Suite 2100, 98121, Seattle, Washington