A novel polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA)-TiO2 nanocomposite and its thermal and photic stability
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A new kind of polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA)-TiO2 nanocomposite was synthesized through polymerization. The thermal and photic stability of this PMMA-TiO2 nanocomposites were investigated. The as-prepared samples were characterized by scanning electron microscopy (SEM), UV-Vis spectroscopy, differential thermal analysis (DTA) and the photo-induced weight loss. The results show that the photostability of the PMMA-TiO2 nanocomposite is higher than that of the pure PMMA under UV-light irradiation. The weight-loss of the pure PMMA reaches 30% after 300 h UV-irradiation, while the composite only 0.3% under the identical experimental condition. The glass transition temperature (T g) of pure PMMA is only 80°C, while theT k of the composite reaches 258 °C. Compared with pure PMMA, the thermal stability of the composite is greatly enhanced.
- Ma Zhanbiao.Methyl Methacrylate Resins and Application [M]. Beijing: Chemistry Industry Press, 2002 (Ch).
- Guo Gang, Cao Jianjun, Duan Xiaoping,et al.. Study on Modified Polyester/TGIC Powder Coating with Nano-Rutile TiO2 [J].Modern Chemical Industry, 2004,24(5): 38–40 (Ch).
- Laurent D, Florence B. Solution NMR Characterization of the Preparation of Sol-Gel Derived SiO2/TiO2 and SiO2/ZrO2 Glasses [J].Chemistry of Materials, 1997,9(11): 2385–2394. CrossRef
- Robert J D, Liu Z F. Titania-Silica: A Model Binary Oxide Catalyst System [J].Chemistry of Materials, 1997,9(11): 2311–2324. CrossRef
- Zhang Y, Zhou G E, Zhang Y H,et al. Preparation and Optical Absorption of Dispersions of Nano-TiO2/MMA (Methylmethacrylate) and Nano-TiO2/PMMA (Polymethylmethacrylate) [J].Materials Research Bulletin, 1999,34 (5): 701–709. CrossRef
- Nussbaumer R J, Caseri W, Tervoort T,et al. Synthesis and Characterization of Surface-Modified Rutile Nanoparticles and Transparent Polymer Composites Thereof [J].J Nanoparticle Research, 2002,4(4): 319–323. CrossRef
- Laible R, Hamann K. Formation of Chemically Bound Polymer Layers on Oxide Surfaces and Their Role in Colloidal Stability [J].J Adv Colloid Interface Sci, 1980,13(1–2): 65–99. CrossRef
- Shirai Y, Kawatsura K, Tsubokawa N. Graft Polymerization of Vinyl Monomers from Initiating Groups Introduced onto Polymethylsiloxane-Coated Titanium Dioxide Modified with Alcoholic Hydroxyl Groups [J].Progress in Organic Coating, 1999,36(4): 217–224. CrossRef
- Zan L, Tian L H, Liu Z S,et al. A New Polystyrene-TiO2 Nanocomposite Film and its Photocatalytic Degradation [J].Appl Catal A, 2004,264(2): 237–242. CrossRef
- Zan L, Liu Z S, Zhong J S,et al. Organic Modification on TiO2 Nanoparticles by Grafting Polymer [J].J Mater Sci, 2004,39(9) 3261–3264 CrossRef
- Ranby B, Rabek J F.Photodegradation, Photooxidation and Photostabilization of Polymers [M]. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1975.
- Manring L E. Thermal Degradation of Poly(Methyl Methacrylate): 4. Random Side-Group Scission [J].Macromolecules, 1991,24(11): 3304–3309. CrossRef
- Ou Yuchun, Yang Feng, Zhuang Yan,et al. Study of the Polymethylmethacrylate/SiO2 Nanocomposites by In-Situ Polymerization [J].Acta Polymerica Sinica, 1997,2: 199–205 (Ch).
- A novel polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA)-TiO2 nanocomposite and its thermal and photic stability
Wuhan University Journal of Natural Sciences
Volume 11, Issue 2 , pp 415-418
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Wuhan University
- Additional Links
- polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA)-TiO2 nanocomposite
- thermal and photic stability
- O 643
- Industry Sectors