Critical appraisal checklist for qualitative research studies
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The ability to critically appraise literature is an essential skill for clinicians adopting a population perspective. Conventions exist for reporting and evaluating the quality of quantitative and epidemiological research. The same traditions do not exist in qualitative research for a number of reasons including the number of theories under which this type of research can be conducted and the subsequent incompatibility of indicators of quality. This paper presents a 10-point checklist for assessing the quality of qualitative research in clinical epidemiological studies. We aim to provide a framework for critical appraisal as well as offer direction for qualitative researchers in designing and publishing their work.
- Creswell J.W.Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Traditions. London; Sage, 1998.
- Connor L, Treloar C, Higginbotham N. How to perform transdisciplinary research: Qualitative methods and approaches. In: Higginbotham N, Albrecht G, Connor L eds.Health Social Science: A Transdisciplinary Perspective. Oxford University Press (in press).
- Denzin NK, Lincoln YS.Handbook of Qualitative Research. Thousand Oaks; Sage Publications, 1994.
- Knafl KA, Howard MJ. Interpreting and reporting qualitative research.Research in Nursing and Health 1984; 7: 17–24. CrossRef
- Cobb AK, Hagemaster JN. Ten criteria for evaluating qualitative research proposals.J Nurs Educ 1987; 26: 138–143.
- Krahn G, Hohn MF, Kime C. Incorporating qualitative approaches into clinical child psychology research.J Clin Child Psychol 1995; 24: 204–213. CrossRef
- Banister P, Burman E, Parker I, Taylor M, Tindall C.Qualitative Methods in Psychology: A Research Guide. Buckingham; Open University Press, 1994.
- Glaser B, Strauss A.Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative Research. Chicago; Aldine de gruyter, 1967.
- Britten N, Jones R, Murphy E, Stacy R. Qualitative research methods in general practice and primary care.Family Practice 1995; 12: 104–114. CrossRef
- Stiles WB. Quality control in qualitative research.Clin Psychol Rev 1993;13:593–618. CrossRef
- Patton MQ.Qualitative Evaluation and Research Methods. Newbury Park; Sage Publications, 1990.
- Kuzel AJ. Sampling in qualitative enquiry. In: Crabtree BJ, Miller WL eds.Doing Qualitative Research. Newbury Park; Sage Publications, 1992; 31–44.
- Borman KM, LeCompte MD, Goetz JP. Ethnographic and qualitative research design and why it doesn't work.American Behavioral Scientist 1986; 30: 42–57. CrossRef
- Bernard HR. Unstructured and semistructured interviewing. In:Research Methods in Culutural Anthropology. Newbury Park; Sage Publications, 1988; 203–229.
- Morgan DL. When to use focus groups and why. In:Successful Focus Groups: Advancing the State of the Art. Newbury Park; Sage Publications, 1993; 3–25.
- Adler PA, Adler P. Observational techniques. In: Denzin NK, Lincoln YSeds.Handbook of Qualitative Research. Thousand Oaks; Sage Publications, 1994; 377–392.
- Hodder I. Ther interpretation of documents and material culture. In: Denzin NK, Lincoln YS eds.Handbook of Qualitative Research. Thousand Oaks; Sage Publications, 1994; 393–402.
- Miles M, Huberman A.Qualitative Data Analysis: A Source Book of New Methods. London; Sage Publications, 1994.
- Strauss AL.Qualitative Analysis for Social Scientists. Cambridge; Cambridge University Press, 1987.
- Guba EG, Lincoln YS.Fourth Generation Evaluation. Newbury Park; Sage Publications, 1989.
- Willms D, Johnson N.Essentials in Qualitative Research: A Notebook for the Field. 1993.
- Engel JD, Kuzel AJ. On the idea of what constitutes good qualitative inquiry.Qualitative Health Research 1992; 2: 504–510. CrossRef
- Critical appraisal checklist for qualitative research studies
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 67, Issue 5 , pp 347-351
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Critical appraisal
- Qualitative methods
- Epidemiological research
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, The University of Newcastie, NSW, Australia
- 2. Department of Psychology, The University of Newcastle, Concord West
- 3. Child Adolescent and Family Psychiatric Services, Thomas Walker Hospital, Concord West