Roystonea regia a monocotyledonous tree, bears rhizobial root nodules
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The first instance of a monocotyledonous treeRoystonea regia (royal palm) bearing root nodules is reported. They are formed by a Gram-negative bacterium which was tentatively identified asRhizobium sp. The nodules are formed on younger roots of the tree mostly in the rainy season. Younger plants also become nodulated. Mature nodules are oval to cylindrical in shape, unbranched and loosely attached to the roots which show ability to fix nitrogen.
- Alexander M.:Introduction to Soil Microbiology, 2nd ed., pp. 305–314. Wiley Eastern Ltd., Calcutta 1978.
- Bernaerts M.J., De Ley J.: A biochemical test for crown gall bacteria.Nature 197, 406–407 (1963). CrossRef
- Burris R.H.: Methodology, pp. 9–33 in A. Quespel (Ed.):The Biology of Nitrogen Fixation. North-Holland Publ. Co., Amsterdam 1974.
- Conn H.J., Jennison M.W., Weeks O.B.: Routine tests for the identification of bacteria, pp. 140–168 in H.J. Conn (Ed.):Manual of Microbiological Methods. McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York 1957.
- Jordan D.C.: Rhizobiaceae, pp. 234–244 in N.R. Krieg, J.G. Holt (Eds).Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology, Vol. 1. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore 1984.
- Panse V.G., Sukhatme P.V.:Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers, 4th ed., pp. 145–156. Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi 1985.
- Postgate J.R.: The acetylene reduction test for nitrogen fixation, pp. 343–356 in J.R. Norris, D.W. Ribbons (Eds):Methods in Microbiology, Academic Press, London 1972.
- Rigaud J., Puppo A.: Indole-3-acetic acid catabolism by soybean bacteroids.J. Gen. Microbiol. 88, 223–228 (1975).
- Sinha B.K., Basu P.S.: Indole-3-acetic acid and its metabolism in root nodules ofPongamia pinnata (L.) Pierre.Biochem. Physiol. Pflanzen 176, 218–227 (1981).
- Skerman V.B.D.:A Guide to identification of the Genera of Bacteria, pp. 189–191. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore 1959.
- Smith D.C., Douglas A.E.:The Biology of Symbiosis. Eward Arnold, Great Britain 1987.
- Trinick M.J.: Symbiosis betweenRhizobium and the non-legumeTrema aspera.Nature 244, 459–460 (1973). CrossRef
- Roystonea regia a monocotyledonous tree, bears rhizobial root nodules
Volume 42, Issue 6 , pp 601-606
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors