The predictive validity of MMPI-2 content scales for small-town police officer performance
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The goal of this study was to examine the predictive validity of the MMPI-2 content scales in differentiating successful from unsuccessful small-town police officers, using supervisory ratings. Although the MMPI-2 content scale scores of police officers differed from the normative sample, the content scales were not predictive of police officer performance. The authors suggest that the content scales may be especially vulnerable to socially desirable response styles.
- Bartol, C. R. (1982). Psychological characteristics of small-town police officers.Journal of Police Science and Administration, 10, 58–63.
- Bartol, C. R. (1991). Predictive validation of the MMPI for small-town police officers who fail.Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 22, 127–132. CrossRef
- Bernstein, I. H., Schoenfeld, L. S. & Costello, R. M. (1982). Truncated component regression, multicollinearity, and the MMPI's use in a police officer selection setting.Multivariate Behavioral Research, 17, 99–116. CrossRef
- Beutler, L. E., Storm, A., Kirkish, P., Scogin, F., & Gaines, J. A. (1985). Parameters in the prediction of police officer performance.Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 16, 324–355. CrossRef
- Brewster, J., & Stoloff, M. L. (1999). Using the Good cop/Bad cop profile with the MMPI-2.Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology, 14, 29–34.
- Burbeck, E. & Furham, A. (1985). Police officer selection: A critical review of the literature.Journal of Police Science and Administration, 13, 58–69.
- Butcher, J. N., Graham, J. R., Williams, C. L., & Pen-Porath, Y. (1990).Development and use of the MMPI-2 content scales. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Costello, R. M. & Schoenfeld, L. S. (1981). Time-related effects on MMPI profiles of police academy recruits.Journal of Clinical Psychology, 37, 518–522. CrossRef
- Clark, M. E. (1994). Interpretive limitations of the MMPI-2 Anger and Cynicism content scales.Journal of Personality Assessment, 49, 523–527.
- Endler, N. S., Parker, J. D., & Butcher, J. N. (1993). A factor analytic study of coping styles and the MMPI-2 content scales.Journal of Clinical Psychology, 49, 523–527. CrossRef
- Farr, J. L., & Landy, F. J. (1979). The development and use of supervisory and peer scale for police performance appraisal. In C. D. Spilberger (Ed.),Police selection and evaluation: Issues and techniques (pp. 61–76). Washington, D. C.: Hemisphere.
- Graham, J. R. (1993).MMPI-2 assessing personality and psychopathology (2nd ed.). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Hargrave, G. E., Hiatt, D., Ogard, E. M., & Karr, C. (1994). Comparison of the MMPI and the MMPI-2 for a sample of peace officers.Psychological Assessment, 6, 27–32. CrossRef
- Hiatt, D. & Hargrave, G. (1988a). Predicting job performance problems with psychological screening.Journal of Police Science and Administration, 16, 122–125.
- Hiatt, D. & Hargrave, G. (1988b). MMPI profiles of problem peace officers.Journal of Personality Assessment, 52, 722–731. CrossRef
- Jackson, D. N., Fraboni, M. & Helmes, E. (1997). MMPI-2 content scales: How much do they measure?Assessment, 4, 111–117. CrossRef
- Kenney, D. J. & Watson, T. S. (1999). Intelligence and the selection of police recruits. In D. J. Kenney & R. P. McNamara (Eds.),Police and policing: Contemporary issues (pp. 15–36). Westport, CT: Paeger Publishers.
- Kornfeld, A. D. (1995). Police officer candidate MMPI-2 performance: Gender, ethnic, and normative factors.Journal of Clinical Psychology, 51, 536–540. CrossRef
- Mills, M. C., & Stratton, J. G. (1982) The MMPI and the prediction of police job performance.FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin, Feb., 10–15.
- Rostow, C. D., Davis, R. D., Pinkston, J. B., & Cowick, L. M. (1999). The MMPI-2 and satisfactory police academy performance: Differences and correlations.Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology, 14, 35–39.
- Saccuzzo, D., Higgins, G., & Lewandowski, D. (1974). Program for psychological assessment of law enforcement officers: Initial evaluation.Psychological Reports, 35, 651–654.
- Schoenfeld, L. S., Kobos, J. C. & Phinney, I. R. (1980). Screen police applicants: A study of reliability with the MMPI.Psychological Reports, 47, 419–425.
- Wrightsman, L. S., Nietzel, M. T., & Fortune, W. H. (1998).Psychology & the legal system (4th ed.). Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
- The predictive validity of MMPI-2 content scales for small-town police officer performance
Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology
Volume 17, Issue 2 , pp 54-61
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links