Comparison of 1982–1983 and 1997–1998 El Niño effects on the shallow-water fish assemblage of the Patos Lagoon estuary (Brazil)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Meteorological impacts of El Niño events of 1982–1983 and 1997–1998 were observed in locations throughout the world. In southern Brazil, El Niño events are associated with increased rainfall and higher freshwater discharge into Patos Lagoon, a large coastal lagoon that empties into the Atlantic Ocean. Based on interdecadal meteorological and biological data sets encompassing the two strongest El Niño events of the last 50 yr, we evaluated the hypothesis that El Niño-induced hydrological changes are a major driving force controlling the interannual variation in the structure and dynamics of fishes in the Patos Lagoon estuary. High rainfall in the drainage basin of the lagoon coincided with low salinity in the estuarine area during both El Niño episodes. Total rainfall in the drainage basin was higher (767 versus 711 mm) and near-zero salinity conditions in the estuarine area lasted about 3 mo longer during the 1997–1998 El Niño event compared with the 1982–1983 event. Hydrological changes triggered by both El Niño events had similar relationships to fish species composition and diversity patterns, but the 1997–1998 event appeared to have stronger effects on the species assemblage. Although shifts in species composition were qualitatively similar during the two El Niño events, distance between El Niño and non-El Niño assemblage multivariate centroids was greater during the 1996–2000 sampling period compared with the 1979–1983 period. We provide a conceptual model of the principal mechanisms and processes connecting the atmospheric-oceanographic interactions triggered by the El Niño phenomena and their effect on the estuarine fish assemblage.
- Arcos, D. F., L. A. Cubillos, andS. P. Núñez. 2001. The jack mackerel fishery and El Niño 1998–98 effects off Chile.Progress in Oceanography 49:597–617. CrossRef
- Brodeur, R. D., D. M. Gadomski, W. G. Pearcy, H. P. Batchelder, andC. B. Miller. 1985. Abundance and distribution of ichthyoplankton in the upwelling zone off Oregon during anomalous El Niño conditions.Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science 21:365–378. CrossRef
- Caviedes, C. N. 2001. El Niño in History: Storming Through the Ages. University Press of Florida, Gainesville, Florida.
- Ciotti, A. M., C. Odebrecht, G. Fillmann, andO. O. Möller. 1995. Freshwater outflow and subtropical convergence influence on phytoplankton biomass on the southern Brazilian continental shelf.Continental and Shelf Research 15:1737–1756. CrossRef
- Costa, C. S. B., J. C. Marangoni, andA. M. G. Azevedo. 2003. Plant zonation in irregularly flooded salt marshes: Relative importance of stress tolerance and biological interactions.Journal of Ecology 91:951–965. CrossRef
- Enfield, D. B. 2001. Evolution and historical perspective of the 1997–1998 El Niño-Southern Oscillation event.Bulletin of Marine Science 69:7–25.
- Garcia, A. M., M. B. Raseira, J. P. Vieira, K. O. Winemiller, andA. M. Grimm. 2003b. Spatiotemporal variation in shallow-water freshwater fish distribution and abundance in a large subtropical coastal lagoon.Environmental Biology of Fishes 68: 215–228. CrossRef
- Garcia, A. M., J. P. Vieira, andK. O. Winemiller. 2001. Dynamics of the shallow-water fish assemblage of the Patos Lagoon estuary (Brazil) during cold and warm ENSO episodes.Journal of Fish Biology 59:1218–1238. CrossRef
- Garcia, A. M., J. P. Vieira, andK. O. Winemiller. 2003a. Effects of 1997–1998 El Niño on the dynamics of the shallow-water fish assemblage of the Patos Lagoon estuary (Brazil).Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 57:489–500. CrossRef
- Garcia, A. M., J. P. Vieira, K. O. Winemiller, andM. B. Raseira. 2004. Reproductive cycle and spatiotemporal variation in abundance of the one-sided livebearerJenynsia multidentata, in Patos Lagoon, Brazil.Hydrobiologia 515:39–48. CrossRef
- Garcia, C. A. E. 1996. Hydrographic characteristics, p. 18–20.In U. Seeliger, C. Odebrecht, and J. P. Castello (eds.), Subtropical Convergence Environments: The Coastal and Sea in the Southwestern Atlantic, Volume 1. Springer Verlag, Berlin.
- Glantz, M. H. 2001. Currents of Change: Impacts of El Niño and La Niña on Climate and Society. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- Glynn, P. W., J. L. Maté, A. C. Baker, andM. O. Calderón. 2001. Coral bleaching and mortality in Panama and Ecuador during the 1997–1998 El Niño-Southern Oscillation event: Spatial/temporal patterns and comparisons with the 1982–1983 event.Bulletin of Marine Science 69:79–109.
- Grimm, A. M., V. R. Barros, andM. E. Doyle. 2000. Climate variability in Southern America associated with El Niño and La Niña events.Journal of Climate 13:35–58. CrossRef
- Grimm, A. M., S. E. T. Ferraz, andJ. Gomes. 1998. Precipitation anomalies in southern Brazil associated with El Niño and La Niña events.Journal of Climate 11:2863–2880. CrossRef
- Haimovici, M., J. P. Castello, andC. M. Vooren. 1996. Fisheries, p. 183–196.In U. Seeliger, C. Odebrecht, and J. P. Castello (eds.), Subtropical Convergence Environments: The Coastal and Sea in the Southwestern Atlantic, Volume 1. Springer Verlag, New York.
- Hurlbert, S. H. 1971. The nonconcept of species diversity: A critique and alternative parameters.Ecology 52:577–586. CrossRef
- Jaksic, F. M. 2001. Ecological effects of El Niño in terrestrial ecosystems of western South America.Ecography 24:241–250. CrossRef
- Jiménez, C., J. Cortés, A. León, andE. Ruiz. 2001. Coral bleaching and mortality associated with the 1997–98 El Niño in an upwelling environment in the eastern Pacific (Gulf of Papagayo, Costa Rica).Bulletin of Marine Science 69:151–169.
- Knoppers, B. andB. Kjerfve. 1999. Coastal lagoons of southeastern Brazil: Physical and biogeochemical characteristics, p. 35–66.In G. M. Perillo, M. C. Picolo, and M. Pino (eds.), Estuaries of South America: Their Geomorphology and Dynamics, Volume 1. Springer Verlag, Berlin.
- Lima, I. D., C. A. E. Garcia, andO. O. Möller. 1996. Ocean surface processes on the southern Brazilian shelf: Characterization and seasonal variability.Continental Shelf Research 16: 1307–1317. CrossRef
- Mestas-Nuñez, A. M. andD. B. Enfield. 1999. Rotated global modes of non-ENSO sea surface temperature variability.Journal of Climate 12:2735–2746. CrossRef
- Mestas-Nuñez, A. M. andD. B. Enfield. 2001. Eastern Pacific SST variability: ENSO and non-ENSO components and their climatic associations.Journal of Climate 14:391–402. CrossRef
- Möller, O. O. J., P. Casting, J.-C. Salomon, andP. Lazure. 2001. The influence of local and non-local forcing effects on the subtidal circulation of Patos Lagoon.Estuaries 24:297–311. CrossRef
- Reis, E. G. andF. D'incao. 2000. The present status of artisanal fisheries of extreme Southern Brazil: An effort towards community-based management.Ocean & Coastal Management 43: 585–595. CrossRef
- Rollins, H. B., J. B. Richardson, andD. H. Sandweiss. 1986. The birth of El Niño: geoarchaeological evidence.Geoarchaeology 1:3–15. CrossRef
- Roy, C. andC. Reason. 2001. ENSO related modulation of coastal upwelling in the eastern Atlantic.Progress in Oceanography 49:245–255. CrossRef
- Sánchez, G., R. Calienes, andS. Zuta. 2000. The 1997–98 El Niño and its effects on the coastal marine ecosystem off Peru.California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigations Reports 41: 62–86.
- Sanders, H. L. 1968. Marine benthic diversity: A comparative study.The American Naturalist 102:243–282. CrossRef
- Smith, B. andJ. B. Wilson. 1996. A consumer's guide to evenness indices.OIKOS 76:70–82. CrossRef
- Timmermann, A., J. Oberhuber, A. Bacher, M. Esch, M. Latif, andE. Roeckner. 1999. Increased El Niño frequency in a climate model forced by future greenhouse warming.Nature 398:694–697. CrossRef
- Tudhope, A. W., C. P. Chilcott, M. T. McCulloch, E. R. Cook, J. Chappell, R. M. Ellam, D. W. Lea, J. M. Lough, andG. B. Shimmield. 2001. Variability in the El Niño-Southern Oscillation through a glacial-interglacial cycle.Science 291:1511–1517. CrossRef
- Tyler, A. V. 1992. A context for recruitment correlations: Why fisheries biologist should still look for them.Fisheries Oceanography 1:97–107. CrossRef
- Underwood, A. J. 1997. Experiments in Ecology—Their Logical Design and Interpretation Using Analysis of Variance. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- Vieira, J. P. andJ. P. Castello. 1996. Fish fauna, p. 56–61.In U. Seeliger, C. Odebrecht, and J. P. Castello (eds.), Subtropical Convergence Marine Ecosystem. The Coast and the Sea in the Warm Temperate Southwestern Atlantic, Volume 1. Springer Verlag, New York.
- Möller, O. Personal communication. Laboratório de Oceanografia Física, Departamento de Física, Universidade do Rio Grande, CP 474, 96200-200 Rio Grande RS, Brazil.
- Comparison of 1982–1983 and 1997–1998 El Niño effects on the shallow-water fish assemblage of the Patos Lagoon estuary (Brazil)
Volume 27, Issue 6 , pp 905-914
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departamento de Oceanografia, laboratório de Ictiologia, Fundação Universidade Federal de Rio Grande (FURG), C. P. 474, Rio Grande, RS, Brasil
- 2. Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences, Texas A&M University, 77843-2258, College Station, Texas
- 3. Department of Physics, Federal University of Paraná, PR, Brazil