Zinc acutely and temporarily inhibits adrenal cortisol secretion in humans
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Hypo-and hyperzincemia has been reported to cause alterations in the adrenal secretion. To determine the acute effect of zinc on cortisol levels, we studied 27 normal individuals of both sexes aged 20–27 y after a 12-h fast. The tests were initiated at 7:00am when an antecubital vein was punctured and a device for infusion was installed and maintained with physiological saline. Zinc was administered orally at 8:00am. Subjects were divided into an experimental group of 13 individuals who received doses of 25, 37.5, and 50 mg of zinc and a control group of 14 individual who received 20 mL of physiological saline. Serial blood samples were collected over a period of 240 min after basal samples (−30 and 0 min). We detected an acute inhibitory effect of zinc on cortisol secretion during 240 min of the study period in the experimental group.
- E. J. Underwood,Trace Elements in Human and Animal Nutrition, 4th ed., E. J. Underwood, ed., Academic, NY, 1977, pp. 196–242.
- J. Quarterman,Proc. Nutr. Soc. 31, 74-A (1982).
- J. Quarterman,Trace Element Metabolism in Animals-2, W. G. Hoekstra, J. W. Suttie, H. E. Ganther, and W. Mertz, eds. University Park Press, Baltimore, 1974, pp. 742–744.
- R. I. Henkin,Trace Element Metabolism in Animals-2, W. G. Hoekstra, J. W. Suttie, H. E. Ganther, and W. Mertz, eds., University Park Press, Baltimore, 1974, pp. 647–651.
- K. R. Etzel, S. G. Shapiro, and R. J. Cousins,Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 89, 1120 (1979). CrossRef
- M. M. Parker, F. L. Humoller, and D. J. Mahler,Clin. Chem. 13, 40 (1967).
- S. Siegel,Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences, 1st ed., S. Siegel, ed., McGraw-Hill, NY, 1956, pp. 61–158.
- W. J. Bettger and B. L. O'dell,Life Sci. 28, 1425 (1981). CrossRef
- K. J. Catt and M. L. Dufau,Ann. Rev. Physiol. 39, 529 (1977). CrossRef
- W. Kazimierczak and C. Maslinski,Agentes and Actions 4, 203 (1974). CrossRef
- M. Chvapil,Med. Clin. North America 60, 799 (1976).
- Zinc acutely and temporarily inhibits adrenal cortisol secretion in humans
Biological Trace Element Research
Volume 24, Issue 1 , pp 83-89
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Acute hyperzincemia
- zinc supplement, effects of on cortisol secretion
- plasma zinc and cortisol levels
- normal individuals
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Internal Medicine, Faculdade de Medicina de Botucatu, Universidade Estadual Paulista, 18610, Botucatu, SP
- 2. Department of Internal Medicine, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de São Paulo, 05403, São Paulo, SP
- 3. Department of Physical Chemistry, Faculdade de Ciências Farmacêuticas de Ribeirão Preto, Universidade de São Paulo, 14.049, Ribeirão Preto, SP, Brazil