Improvement of Nitrogen Supply for L-Threonine Production by a Recombinant Strain of Serratia marcescens
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Serratia marcescens T-2000 was previously reported to be an l-threonine-producing strain that harbors the recombinant plasmid carrying the mutant-type threonine operon. This strain produced 55 g of l-threonine/L of the medium containing urea as a nitrogen source after 72 h of cultivation. In the urea-containing medium, transitory stop of the growth was observed during the early period of cultivation when the entire amount of ammonium ion formed from urea via heat decomposition disappeared in the medium. This indicated that the shortage of ammonium supply in cells might delay both the cell growth and the l-threonine production. The use of ammonia water as a nitrogen source for l-threonine production was therefore studied, because microbial cells generally assimilate this source more readily than urea. When ammonia water was automatically fed to the medium so as to maintain the pH of the medium at around 7, the growth was accelerated, and the l-threonine production reached a maximum of 65 g/L at 48 h. Under these conditions, sucrose, a carbon source, was continuously fed to the medium, resulting in the production of 100 g of l-threonine/L at 96 h. Thus, the l-threonine productivity of the recombinant l-threonine-producing strain could be increased by devising the method for supply of a nitrogen source.
- Komatsubara, S. (1987),Proc. 4th European Congress on Biotechnol. 4, 757.
- Kisumi, M., Komatsubara, S., Sugiura, M., and Takagi, T. (1987),CRC Crit. Rev. Biotechnol. 6, 233. CrossRef
- Kisumi, M. (1986),Proc. Vth Int. Symp. GIM, Sprit, Yugoslavia, Part B, p. 253.
- Stoker, N. G., Fairweather, N. F., and Spratt, B. G. (1982),Gene 18, 335. CrossRef
- Sugita, T., Komatsubara, S., and Kisumi, M. (1987),Gene 57, 151. CrossRef
- Dubois, M., Gilles, K. A., Hamilton, J. K., Rebers, P. A., and Smith, F. (1956),Anal. Chem. 28, 350. CrossRef
- Kurata, J., and Iwata, T. (1958),Kagaku No Ryoiki Zokan (in Japanese) 34,53.
- Kisumi, M., Komatsubara, S., and Chibata, I. (1971),J. Bacteriol. 106, 493.
- Dendinger, S. M., Patil, L. G., and Brenchley, J. E. (1980),J. Bacteriol. 141, 190.
- Bender, R. A., Janssen, K. A., Resnick, A. D., Blumenberg, M., Foor, F., and Magasanik, B. (1977),J. Bacteriol. 129, 1001.
- George, S. E., Costenbader, C. J., and Melton, T. (1985),J. Bacteriol. 164, 886.
- Thompson, B. G., Kole, M., and Gerson, D. F. (1985),Biotechnol. Bioeng. 27, 818. CrossRef
- Kole, M. M., Thompson, B. G., and Gerson, D. F. (1985),J. Ferment. Technol. 63, 121.
- Suzuki, T., Yasuda, T., Yamane, T., and Shimizu, S. (1986),J. Ferment. Technol. 64, 1986.
- Magasanik, B. (1982),Ann. Rev. Genet. 16, 135. CrossRef
- Morinaga, Y., Takagi, H., Ishida, M., Miwa, K., Sato, T., Nakamori, S., and Sano, K. (1987),Agric. Biol. Chent. 51, 93.
- Furukawa, S., Ozaki, A., and Nakanishi, T. (1988),Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 29, 550.
- Improvement of Nitrogen Supply for L-Threonine Production by a Recombinant Strain of Serratia marcescens
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 37, Issue 3 , pp 255-265
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- l-threonine production
- nitrogen source
- Sermtia marcescens
- Industry Sectors