The effect of alternative carbohydrates on the growth and antibody production of a murine hybridoma
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A murine hybridoma (CC9C10) was adapted to grow in media containing alternative carbohydrates to glucose. Cell yields relative to the glucose-based culture decreased in order of the following supplements: glucose = maltose > galactose > fructose = sorbitol = xylitol, although significant yields (> 50% of glucose control) were observed in all cultures. In the absence of glucose, glutamine consumption rates were enhanced significantly. Antibody production was directly related to the viable cell concentration in each culture and was independent of the phase of culture. A high specific antibody productivity (qMab) was observed in the cultures containing the polyols, sorbitol, or xylitol, even though the cell yields and growth rates were lower than the glucose-based control. The measured qMab in the xylitol culture was 5.6x that of the glucose culture and the volumetric yield of MAb was 29% higher.
- Eagle, H., Barban, S., Levy, M., and Schulze, H. O. (1958),J. Biol. Chem. 233, 551–558.
- Burns, R. L., Rosenberger, P. G., and Kleke, R. J. (1976),J. Cell Physiol. 88, 307–316. CrossRef
- Cristafalo, V. J. and Kritchevsky, D. (1965),Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 118, 1109–1112.
- Imamura, T., Crespi, C. L., Thilly, W. G., and Brunengraber, H. (1982),Anal. Biochem. 124, 353–358. CrossRef
- Demetrakopoulos, G. E. and Amos, H. (1976),Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 72, 1169–1178. CrossRef
- Turner, J. L. and Bierman, E. L. (1978),Diabetes 27, 583–588. CrossRef
- Vincent, M. F., van den Berghe, G., and Hers, H. G. (1989),FASEB J. 3, 1862–1867.
- Schroer, J. A., Bender, T., Feldman, R. J., and Kim K. J. (1983),Eur. J. Immunol. 13, 693–700. CrossRef
- Bergmeyer, H. U., Gruber, W., and Gutmann, I. (1974), inMethods of Enzymatic Analysis, Bergmeyer, H. U., ed., Acedemic, New York, p. 1323.
- Bassler, K-H. (1974), inMethods of Enzymatic Analysis, Bergmeyer, H. U., ed., Academic, New York, p. 1381.
- Kurz, G. and Wallenfels, K. (1974), inMethods of Enzymatic Analysis, Bergmeyer, H. U., ed., Academic, New York, p. 1279.
- Gerlach, U. (1983), inMethods of Enzymatic Analysis, Bergmeyer, H. U., ed., Academic, New York, p. 112.
- Lund, P. (1985), inMethods of Enzymatic Analysis, Bergmeyer, H. U., ed., Academic, New York, p. 357.
- Long, W. J., Palombo, A., Schofield, T. L., and Emini, E. A. (1988),Hybridoma 7, 69–77. CrossRef
- Petch, D. and Butler, M. (1994),J. Cell Physiol. 161, 71–76. CrossRef
- Zielke, H. R., Ozand, P. T., Tildon, G. T., Sevdalian, D. A., and Cornblath, M. (1976),Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 73, 4110–4114. CrossRef
- Wang, Y.-M. and Eys, J. van (1981),Ann. Rev. Nutr. 1, 437–475. CrossRef
- Renard, J. M., Spagnoli, R., Mazier, C., Salles, M. F., and Mandine, E. (1988),Biotechnology Lett. 10, 91–96. CrossRef
- Oh, S. K. W., Vig, P., Chua, F., Teo, W. K., and Yap, M. G. S. (1993),Biotech. Bioeng. 42, 601–610. CrossRef
- The effect of alternative carbohydrates on the growth and antibody production of a murine hybridoma
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 59, Issue 1 , pp 93-104
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors