Pretreatment of yellow poplar sawdust by pressure cooking in water
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The pretreatment of yellow poplar wood sawdust using liquid water at temperatures above 220°C enhances enzyme hydrolysis. This paper reviews our prior research and describes the laboratory reactor system currently in use for cooking wood sawdust at temperatures ranging from 220 to 260°C. The wood sawdust at a 6–6.6% solid/liquid slurry was treated in a 2 L, 304 SS, Parr reactor with three turbine propeller agitators and a proportional integral derivative (PID) controller, which controlled temperature within ±1°C. Heat-up times to the final temperatures of 220, 240, or 260°C were achieved in 60–70 min. Hold time at the final temperature was less than 1 min. A serpentine cooling coil, through which tap water was circulated at the completion of the run, cooled the reactor’s contents within 3 min after the maximum temperature was attained. A bottoms port, as well as ports in the reactor’s head plate, facilitated sampling of the slurry and measuring the pH, which changes from an initial value of 5 before cooking to a value of approx 3 after cooking. Enzyme hydrolysis gave 80–90% conversion of cellulose in the pretreated wood to glucose. Simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of washed, pretreated lignocellulose gave an ethanol yield that was 55% of theoretical. Untreated wood sawdust gave less than 5% hydrolysis under the same conditions.
- Bobleter, O., Niesner, R., and Rohr, M. (1976,J. Appl. Polymer Sci. 20, 2083–2093. CrossRef
- Foody, P. (July 24,1984), U.S. Patent 4,461,648.
- Haw, J. F., Maciel, G. E., Linden, J. C., and Murphy, V. G. (1985),Holzforschung 39, 99–107.
- Hormeyer, H. F., Schwald, W., Bonn, G., and Bobleter, O. (1988),Holzforschung 42, 95–98. CrossRef
- Walch, E., Zemann, A., Schinner, F., Bonn, G., and Bobleter, O. (1992),Bioresource Technol. 39, 173–177. CrossRef
- Brownell, H. H. and Saddler, J. N. (1987),Biotechnol. and Bioeng 29, 228–235. CrossRef
- Mok, W. S. L. and Antal, M. J. Jr. (1992),Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 31, 1157–1161. CrossRef
- van Walsum, G. P., Allen, S. G., Spencer, M. J., Laser, M. S., Antal, M. J., Jr., and Lynd, L. R. (1996),Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 57/58, 157–170.
- Ladisch, M. R., Waugh, L., Westgate, P., Kohlmann, K., Hendrickson, R., Yang, Y., and Ladisch, C. (1992), Ladisch, M. R. and Bose, A., eds., American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, pp. 510–518.
- Kohlmann, K. L., Westgate, P. J., Weil, J., and Ladisch, M. R. (1994), SAE 1993 Transactions.Journal of Aerospace Section. 102, 1476–1483.
- Weil, J., M.S.E. Thesis, Purdue University, May, 1993.
- Beltrame, P. L., Carniti, P., Visciglio, A., Focher, B., and Marzett, A. (1992),Biores. Technol. 39, 165–171. CrossRef
- Heitz, M., Capek-Menard, E., Koeberle, P. G., Gagne, J., Chornet, E., Overend, R. P., Taylor, J. D., and Yu, E. (1991),Biores. Technol. 35, 23–32. CrossRef
- Weil, J., Westgate, P., Kohlmann, K., and Ladisch, M. R. (1994),Enzyme Microb. Technol. 16, 1002–1004. CrossRef
- Kohlmann, K. L., Sarikaya, A., Westgate, P. J., Weil, J., Velayudhan, A., Hendrickson, R., and Ladisch, M. R. (1995), Penner, M. and Saddler, J., eds., American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, ACS Symp. Ser. No. 618,237-255.
- Kohlmann, K. L., Westgate, P., Velahudhan, A., Weil, J., Sarikaya, A., Brewer, M. A., Hendrickson, R. L., and Ladisch, M. R. (1996),Adv. Space Res. 18, 251–265. CrossRef
- NREL, Chemical Analysis and Testing Standard Procedures, Golden, CO (1994).
- Baugh, K. D. and McCarty, P. L. (1988),Biotechnol. Bioeng. 31, 50–61. CrossRef
- Saeman, J. F. (1945),Ind. Eng. Chem. 37, 43–54. CrossRef
- Kang, D. and Seyfried, W. E., Jr., (1996),Science 272, 1634–1636. CrossRef
- Ladisch, M. R. (1989), inBiomass Handbook, Kitani O. and Hall C. W., eds., Gordon and Breach, New York, pp. 434–451.
- Torget, R. and Hsu, T-A. (1994),Appl. Biochem. and Biotechnol. 45/46, 115–123.
- Torget, R., Hatzis, C., Hayward, T. K., Hsu, T-A., Philippidis, G. P. (1996),Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 57/58, 85–101.
- Ladisch, M. R., Ladisch, C. M., and Tsao, G. T. (1978),Science 201, 743–745. CrossRef
- Ladisch, M. R., Lin, K. W., Voloch, M., and Tsao, G. T. (1983),Enzyme Microb. Technol,5, 82–102. CrossRef
- Lawford, H. G. and Rousseau, J. D. (1992),Appl. Biochem. and Biotechnol. 34/35, 185–204. CrossRef
- Pretreatment of yellow poplar sawdust by pressure cooking in water
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 68, Issue 1-2 , pp 21-40
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- water pretreatment
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory of Renewable Resources Engineering, Purdue University, 47907, West Lafayette, IN
- 2. Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University, 47907, West Lafayette, IN
- 3. Textile Science-CSR, Purdue University, 47907, West Lafayette, IN