On phantom maps and a theorem of H. Miller
- A. Zabrodsky
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A mapf:X →Y is a phantom map if any composition off with a map from a finite complex intoX is null homotopic. The proof of the Sullivan conjecture by H. Miller enables us to understand more deeply this phenomena. We prove, among other things, that any map from a space with finitely many non-vanishing homotopy groups into a finite complex is phantom and that any fibration over a 2-connected space with finitely many non-vanishing homotopy groups and with fiber a finite complex is trivial over each skeleton of the base.
- Adams, J. F., Walker, J. (1964) An example in homotopy theory. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 60: pp. 699-700 CrossRef
- A. K. Bousfield and D. M. Kan,Homotopy Limits, Completions and Localization, Lecture Notes in Math.304, Springer-Verlag, 1972.
- Carlsson, G. (1983) G. B. Segal’s Burnside ring conjecture for (Z/2)k. Topology 22: pp. 83-103 CrossRef
- E. M. Friedlander and G. Mislin,Locally finite approximation of Lie groups I, mimeographed.
- Gray, B. I. (1966) Spaces of the same n-type for all n. Topology 5: pp. 241-243 CrossRef
- McGibbon, C. A., Neisendorfer, J. A. (1984) On the homotopy groups of a finite dimensional space. Comm. Math. Helv. 59: pp. 253-257 CrossRef
- Meier, W. (1975) Localisation, completion et application fantomes. C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris 281: pp. 787-789
- Meier, W. (1976) Determination de certains groupes d’applications fantomes. C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris 282: pp. 971-974
- Meier, W. (1978) Pullback theorems and phantom maps. Quart. J. Math. 29: pp. 469-481 CrossRef
- W. Meier, Personal communication, Feb. 10, 1983.
- Miller, H. (1984) The Sullivan fixed point conjecture on maps from classifying spaces. Ann. of Math. 120: pp. 39-87 CrossRef
- A. Zabrodsky,Maps between classifying spaces, to appear.
- On phantom maps and a theorem of H. Miller
Israel Journal of Mathematics
Volume 58, Issue 2 , pp 129-143
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- A. Zabrodsky (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Mathematics, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel