Diophantine geometry over groups III: Rigid and solid solutions
- Z. Sela
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper is the third in a series on the structure of sets of solutions to systems of equations in a free group, projections of such sets, and the structure of elementary sets defined over a free group. In the third paper we analyze exceptional families of solutions to a parametric system of equations. The structure of the exceptional solutions, and the global bound on the number of families of exceptional solutions we obtain, play an essential role in our approach towards quantifier elimination in the elementary theory of a free group presented in the next papers of this series. The argument used for proving the global bound is a key in proving the termination of the quantifier elimination procedure presented in the sixth paper of the series.
- Bestvina, M., Feighn, M. (1991) Bounding the complexity of simplicial group actions. Inventiones Mathematicae 103: pp. 449-469 CrossRef
- Bestvina, M., Feighn, M. (1995) Stable actions of groups on real trees. Inventiones Mathematicae 121: pp. 287-321 CrossRef
- M. Bestvina and M. Feighn,Outer limits, preprint.
- M. Bestvina and M. Feighn,Counting maps from a surface to a graph, preprint.
- Makanin, G. S. (1985) Decidability of the universal and positive theories of a free group. Mathematics of the USSR-Izvestiya 25: pp. 75-80 CrossRef
- Morgan, J. W. (1988) Ergodic theory and free actions of groups on R-trees. Inventiones Mathematicae 94: pp. 605-622 CrossRef
- F. Paulin,Outer automorphisms of hyperbolic groups and small actions on R-trees, inArboreal Group Theory (R. C. Alperin, ed.), MSRI publications no. 19, 1991, pp. 331–343.
- A. A. Razborov,On systems of equations in a free group, Ph.D. thesis, Steklov Mathematical Institute, 1987.
- Sela, Z. (2001) Diophantine geometry groups I: Makanin-Razborov diagrams. Publications Mathématiques de l’IHES 93: pp. 31-105 CrossRef
- Sela, Z. (2003) Diophantine geometry over groups II: Completions, closures and formal solutions. Israel Journal of Mathematics 134: pp. 173-254
- Sela, Z. (1997) Acylindrical accessibility for groups. Inventiones Mathematicae 129: pp. 527-565 CrossRef
- Sela, Z. (2004) Diophantine geometry over groups IV: An iterative procedure for validation of a sentence. Israel Journal of Mathematics 143: pp. 1-130
- Diophantine geometry over groups III: Rigid and solid solutions
Israel Journal of Mathematics
Volume 147, Issue 1 , pp 1-73
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Z. Sela (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Mathematics, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Givat Ram, 91904, Jerusalem, Israel