The protective role of selenium on the toxicity of cisplatin-contained chemotherapy regimen in cancer patients
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The effect of selenium (Se) in reducing the toxicity of cisplatin in cancer patients was studied. Forty-one patients were randomized into group A (20 patients with Se administration in first cycle of chemotherapy as study cases and without Se in second cycle of chemotherapy as control) and group B (21 patients without Se in first cycle of chemotherapy and with Se in second cycle of chemotherapy). The 400 μg per day of Se as Seleno-Kappacarrageenan were administered from 4 before to 4 d after chemotherapy for study cases. The serum Se increased from 70.4±22.86 to 157.04±60.23 ng/mL (P<0.001) in patients received Se. The cisplatin dosage was iv administration in 60–80 mg/m2 on the first day. The results showed that the peripheral WBC counts on day 14 after initiation of chemotherapy in study cases was significantly higher than the controls (3.35±2.01 vs 2.31±1.38 [×109L])/L,p<0.05). On the other hand, the consumption of GCSF for the cases was significantly less than the controls (110.1±82.2 vs 723.6±192.6 IU,p<0.05). The volumes of blood transfusion for the study group were also significantly less than the controls (0 vs 62±38mL,p<0.05). The nephrotoxicity of cisplatin was measured by urine enzymes (NAG, GGT, AAP, LAP, and ALP) were determined prior to and at 2, 24, 48, and 72h after initiation of chemotherapy. The urine enzymes NAG, GGT, AAP, and ALP after chemotherapy for cases were significantly lower than the controls. No toxicity of Seleno-Kappacarrageenan was noted. The above results suggest that the Se can be used as an agent for reducing the nephrotoxicity and bone marrow suppression induced by cisplatin.
Supplementary Material (0)
- A. W. Prestayko, S. T. Crooke, and S. K. Carter, eds.Cis-platin: Current Status and New Developments. Academic, New York (1980).
- T. P. Luckey and B. Wenugopol,Metal Toxicity in Mammals, vol. 2. Elsevier/North-Holland, Amsterdam (1977).
- I. H. Krakoff, Nephrotoxicity of cis-dichlorodiammineplatinum (II),Cancer Treat. Rep. 63, 1523–1525 (1979).
- E. M. Walker and G. R. Gale, Methods of reduction of cis-platin nephrotoxicity,Ann. Clin. Lab. Sci. 11, 397–410 (1981).
- W. C. Rose and J. E. Schurig, Preclinical antitumor and toxicological profile of carboplatin,Cancer. Treat. Rep. 12 (suppl. A), 1–9 (1985). CrossRef
- R. F. Ozols, B. J. Cordon, J. Jacob, M. N. Wesley, Y. Ostehega, and R. C. Young, High-dose cis-platin in hypertonic saline,Ann. Inter. Med. 100, 19–24 (1984).
- C. E. Pfeifle, S. B. Howell, R. D. Felthouse, T. B. Woliver, P. A. Andrews, M. Markman, and M. P. Murphy, High dose-cis-platin with sodium thiosulfate protection,J. Clin. Oncol. 3, 237–244 (1987).
- D. L. Bodenner, P. C. Dedon, J. C. Katz, and R. F. Borch, Selective protection against cis-diamminedichloroplatinum (II)-induced toxicity in kidney, gut, and bone marrow by diethyldithiocarbamate,Cancer. Res. 46, 2751–2755 (1986).
- M. L. Rothenberg, Y. Ostchega, S. M. Steinberg, R. C. Young, S. Hummel, and R. F. Ozols, High-dose carboplatin with diethyldithiocarbamate chemoprotection in treatment of women with relapsed ovarian cancer,J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 80, 1488–1492 (1988). CrossRef
- M. Satoh, A. Naganuma, N. Imura. Deficiency of selenium intake enhances manifestation of renal toxicity of cis-diamminedichloroplatinum in mice,Toxicol. Lett. 38(1–2), 155–160 (1987).
- L. N. Vernie, J. J. de-Goeij, C. Zeger, M. Devries, G. S. Baldew, and J. G. Mevie. Cisplatin-induced changes of selenium levels and glutathione peroxidase activities in blood of testis tumor patients,Cancer. lett 40(1), 83–91 (1988). CrossRef
- V. R. Young, Selenium: a case for its essentiality in man,N. Engl. J. Med. 304, 1228 (1981). CrossRef
- R. J. Shamberger and D. V. Frost, Possible protective effect of selenium against human cancer,Can. Med. Ass. J. 103, 682 (1969).
- Y. J. Chu, Q. Y. Liu, C. Hou, and S. Y. Yu, Blood selenium concentration in residents of areas in China having a high incidence of lung cancer,Biol Trace Element Res. 6(2), 133–137 (1984).
- W. Willett, B. F. Polk, S. Morris, M. J. Stampfer, S. Pressel, B. Rosnern, J. O. Taylor, K. Schneider, and C. G. Hames, Prediagnostic serum selenium and risk of cancer,Lancet 2, 130–134 (1983). CrossRef
- P. Knekt, A. Aromaa, L. Maateta, et al. Serum selenium and subsequent risk of cancer among Finnish men and woman.J. Nat. Cancer. Inst. 82(10), 846–848 (1990). CrossRef
- K. P. McConnell, W. L. Broghamer, A. J. Blotcky, Selenium levels in human blood and tissue in health and disease,J. Nutr. 105, 1026–1031 (1975).
- Y. J. Hu, Y. N. Zhao, P. M. Xu, S. D. Yang, Y. W. Lin, and J. H. Wu, A study of blood selenium levels in patients with lung cancer and healthy subjects in Beijing area,Acta Nutrimenta. Sinica. 16(3), 261–264 (1994).
- C. Ip. Factors influencing the anticarcinogenic efficacy of selenium in dimethylbenz (a)anthracene-induced mammary tumorigenesis in rats,Cancer Res. 41, 2683–2686 (1981).
- C. Ip, M. M. Ip, and U. Kim, Dietary selenium intake and growth of MT-W9B transplantable rat mammary tumor,Cancer Lett. 14, 101–107 (1981). CrossRef
- G. Hocman, Chemoprevention of cancer: selenium,Int. J. Biochem. 20(2), 123–132 (1988). CrossRef
- A. M. Watrach, J. A. Milner, M. A. Watrach, and K. A. Poirier, Inhibition of human breast cancer cells by selenium,Cancer Lett 25(1), 41–47 (1984). CrossRef
- S. Y. Yu, Y. J. Chu, W. G. Li, Q. S. Huang, C. Z. Huang, Q. N. Zhang, and C. Hou, A preliminary report on the intervention trials of primary liver cancer in high risk populations with nutritional supplementation of selenium in China,Biol. Trace Elements Res. 29, 289–294 (1991). CrossRef
- W. L. Blot, J. Y. Li, P. R. Taylor, et al. Nutrition intervention trials in Linxian, China: supplementation with specific vitamin/mineral combinations, cancer incidence, and disease-specific mortality in the general population,J. Natl. Cancer. Inst. 85(18), 1483–1492 (1993). CrossRef
- A. Naganuma, M. Satoh, M. Yokoyama, and N. Imura, Selenium efficiently depressed toxic side effect of cis-diamminedichloroplatinum,Res. Commun Chem. Pathol. Pharmacol. 42(1), 127–134 (1983).
- J. P. Berry, C. Pauwells, S. Tlouzeau, and G. Lespinats, Effect of selenium in combination with cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II) in the treatment of murine fibrosarcoma,Cancer. Res. 44(7), 2864–2868 (1984).
- M. Yokoyama, A. Naganuma and N. Imura, Suppression of CDDP-induced renal toxicity by sodium selenite,Gan. No. Rinsho. (Japanese)31(9 Suppl), 1225–1230 (1985).
- K. Ohkawa, Y. Tsukada, and H. Dohzono, K. Koike, and Y. Terashima, The effects of co-administration of selenium and cis-platin (CDDP) on CDDP-induced toxicity and antitumour activity,Br. J. Cancer. 58(10) 38–41 (1988).
- G. S. Baldew, C. J. Van-den Hamer, G. Los, N. P. E. Vermeulen, J. J. M. de Goeij, and J. G. Mevie, Selenium-induced protection against cis-diamminedichloroplatinum (II) nephrotoxicity in mice and rats,Cancer. Res. 49(11), 3020–3023 (1989).
- G. S. Baldew, J. G. McVie, M. A. Van-der-valk, G. Los, J. J. de Goeij, and N. P. E. Vermeulen, Selective reduction of cis-diammindichloroplatinum(II) nephrotoxicity by ebselen,Cancer. Res. 50(21), 7031–7036 (1990).
- Y. Araya, Studies on protective effect of selenium on the nephrotoxicity of cisdiamminedichloroplatinum (CDDP) in mice,Hokkaido. Igoaku. Zasshi. 65(3), 245–253 (1990).
- M. Satoh, A. Naganuma, and N. Imura, Optimum schedule of selenium administration to reduce lethal and renal toxicities of cis-diamminedichloroplatinum (cis-DDP) in mice,J. Pharmacobiodyn. 12(4), 246–253 (1989).
- B. Leyland Jones, C. Morrow, S. Tate, C. Urmacher, C. Gordon, and C. W. Young, Cisdiamminedichloroplatinum(II) nephrotoxicity and Its relationship to renal to gammaglutamyl transpeptidase and glutathione,Cancer. Res,43(12 pt 1), 6072–6076 (1983).
About this Article
- The protective role of selenium on the toxicity of cisplatin-contained chemotherapy regimen in cancer patients
Biological Trace Element Research
Volume 56, Issue 3 , pp 331-341
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Selenium (Seleno-Kappacarrageenan)
- toxicity (nephrotoxicity, bone marrow suppression), cancer patients
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medical Oncology, Beijing Hospital, 100730, P.R. China
- 2. Beijing Tian Ci Fu Medical Biology Company, 100730, P.R. China
- 3. Department of Biochemistry, Beijing Hospital, P.R. China