Quadratic base change of θ10
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In case ofGL n overp-adic fields, it is known that Shintani base change is well behaved. However, things are not so simple for general reductive groups. In the first part of this paper, we present a counterexample to the existence of quadratic base change descent for some Galois invariant representations. These are representations of type θ10. In the second part, we compute the localL-factor of θ10. Unlike many other supercuspidal representations, we find that theL-factor of θ10 has two poles. Finally, we discuss these two results in relation to the local Langlands correspondence.
- [AC] J. Arthur and L. Clozel,Simple Algebras, Base Change, and the Advanced Theory of the Trace Formula, Vol. 120, Annals of Mathematics Studies, Princeton University Press, 1989.
- [As] C. Asmuth,Weil representations of symplectic p-adic groups American Journal of Mathematics101 (1979), 885–908. CrossRef
- [Cl] L. Clozel,Characters of non-connected reductive p-adic groups, Canadian Journal of Mathematics39 (1987), 149–167.
- [De] P. Deligne,Forms modulaires et représentations de GL(2), inModular Functions of One Variable II, Proceedings of the International Summer School, Belgium349, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1972, pp. 55–106. CrossRef
- [Gy] Gyoja,Liftings of irreducible characters of finite reductive groups, Osaka Journal of Mathematics16 (1979), 1–30.
- [HC] Harish-Chandra,Admissible invariant distributions on reductive p-adic groups, Queen’s Papers in Pure and Applied Mathematics48 (1978), 281–347.
- [HK] M. Harris and S. Kudla,Nonholomorphic discrete series of GSp(2), Duke Mathematical Journal66 (1992), 59–121. CrossRef
- [HPS] R. Howe and I. Piatetski-Shapiro,A counterexample to the “generalized Ramanujan conjecture”, Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics33, part 1 (1979), 315–322.
- [Ko] R. Kottwitz,Rational conjugacy classes in reductive groups, Duke Mathematical Journal49 (1982), 785–806. CrossRef
- [La] R. Langlands,Base change for GL(2), Vol. 96, Annals of Mathematics Studies, Princeton University Press, 1980.
- [MVW] C. Moeglin, M.-F. Vigneras and J.-L. Waldspurger,Correspondances de Howe sur un corps p-adique, Lecture Notes in Mathematics1291, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1987.
- [PS] I. Piatetski-Shapiro,L-functions for GSp(4), Olga Taussky-Todd: In Memoriam. Pacific Journal of Mathematics Special Issue (1997), 259–275.
- [PSS] I. Piatetski-Shapiro and D. Soudry,L and ∈ factors of GSp(4), Journal of the Fauclty of Science of the University of Tokyo, Section IA28 (1981), 505–530.
- [Re] M. Reeder,On the Iwahori spherical discrete series of p-acid Chevalley groups; formal degrees and L-packets, Annales Scientifiques de l’École Normale Supérieure27 (1994), 463–491.
- [Ro] B. Roberts,The theta correspondence for similitudes, Israel Journal of Mathematics94 (1996), 285–317. CrossRef
- [Sr] B. Srinivasan,The characters of finite symplectic group Sp(4,q), Transactions of the American Mathematical Society131 (1968), 488–525. CrossRef
- [T] J. Tate,Number theoretic background, Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics33, part 2 (1979), 3–26.
- Quadratic base change of θ10
Israel Journal of Mathematics
Volume 123, Issue 1 , pp 317-340
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors