Groups generating transversals to semisimple lie group actions
- Robert J. Zimmer
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We describe those discrete groups with finite measure preserving actions that are stably orbit equivalent to such an action of a higher rank simple Lie group. This is applied to obtain information on the question of when ergodic equivalence relations are generated by a free action of a group.
- S. Adams,An equivalence relation that is not freely generated, Proc. Am. Math. Soc.102 (1988), 565–566. CrossRef
- J. Feldman, P. Hahn and C. C. Moore,Orbit structure and countable sections for actions of continuous groups, Adv. in Math.28 (1978), 186–230. CrossRef
- J. Feldman and C. C. Moore,Ergodic equivalence relations, cohomology, and von Neumann algebras I, Trans. Am. Math. Soc.234 (1977), 289–324. CrossRef
- J. Feldman, C. E. Sutherland and R. J. Zimmer,Subrelations of ergodic equivalence relations, Ergodic Theory Dynamical Systems9 (1989), 239–269.
- D. Witte,Measurable quotients of unipotent translations on homogeneous spaces, preprint.
- R. J. Zimmer,Ergodic Theory and Semisimple Groups, Birkhauser, Boston, 1984.
- R. J. Zimmer,Ergodic actions of semisimple groups and product relations, Ann. of Math.118 (1983), 9–19. CrossRef
- R. J. Zimmer,Arithmeticity of holonomy groups of Lie foliations, J. Am. Math. Soc.1 (1988), 35–58. CrossRef
- R. J. Zimmer,Orbit equivalence, Lie groups, and foliations, Proc. Center for Math. Anal. Vol. 16 (M. Cowling, C. Meaney and W. Moran, eds.), Australian National Univ., 1988, pp. 341–349.
- R. J. Zimmer,Representations of fundamental groups of manifolds with a semisimple transformation group, J. Am. Math. Soc.2 (1989), 201–213. CrossRef
- R. J. Zimmer,Ergodic theory and the automorphism group of a G-structure, inGroup Representations, Ergodic Theory, Operator Algebras, and Mathematical Physics (C. C. Moore, ed.), Springer, New York, 1987, pp. 247–278.
- Groups generating transversals to semisimple lie group actions
Israel Journal of Mathematics
Volume 73, Issue 2 , pp 151-159
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Robert J. Zimmer (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, University of Chicago, 5734 University Avenue, 60637, Chicago, IL, USA