Effects of residual renal function in haemodialysis patients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Thirty-six haemodialysis patients on treatment for more than six months were studied for residual renal function (RRF). Twenty patients were anuric. The remaining 16 patients with RRF excreted 35–1600 ml urine/day with creatinine clearance ranging 0.17–6.95 ml/min. Patients with RRF were on dialysis therapy for shorter periods than those with anuria (25.5±18.5 vs. 101.7±14.2 months, p=0.001). Twelve out of 20 anuric patients had had previous renal transplantation, whereas none of those with RRF had been transplanted (p=0.0006). Interdialytic weight gain, serum potassium and phosphate were lower in patients with RRF. Serum phosphate and uric acid were correlated with their respective urinary excretion rates (p=0.013 and 0.005, respectively), but interdialytic weight gain could not be correlated with urinary output. Creatinine clearance significantly correlated with urinary excretion of potassium, sodium, phosphate and uric acid. In this series of patients a previous unsuccessful renal transplantation was an important factor in the loss of RRF. The presence of RRF contributed to the regulation of the blood levels of phosphate and the excretion rate of potassium, sodium and uric acid.
- Lynn, R. I., Feinfeld, D. A.: Importance of residual renal function in end-stage renal disease.Semin. Dial., 2, 1 (1989). CrossRef
- Sargent, J. A., Gotch, F. A.: Principles and Biophysics of Dialysis. In: Maher, J. F. (ed.): Replacement of Renal Function by Dialysis, Second edition. Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Boston 1983, p. 53.
- Altmann, P., Butter, K. C., Plowman, D., Chaput de Saintonge, D. M., Cunningham, J., Marsh, F. P.: Residual renal function in hemodialysis may protect against hyperaluminemia.Kidney Int., 32, 710 (1987). CrossRef
- Weber, M. H., Reetze, P., Neumann, F., Warneke, G., Scheler, F.: Influence of CAPD and residual diuresis on the serum level of alpha-1-microglobulin in end-stage renal disease.Nephron, 51, 367 (1989). CrossRef
- Milutinovic, J., Strand, M., Casaretto, A., Follete, W., Babb, A. L., Scribner, B. H.: Clinical impact of residual glomerular filtration rate (GFR) on dialysis time_— A preliminary report.Trans. ASAIO, XX-B 410 (1974).
- Milutinovic, J., Cutler, R. E., Hoover, P., Meijsen, B., Scribner, B. H.: Measurement of residual glomerular filtration rate in the patient receiving repetitive hemodialysis.Kidney Int., 8, 185 (1975). CrossRef
- Feinfeld, D. A., Danovitch, G. M.: Factors affecting urine volume in chronic renal failure.Am. J. Kidney Dis., 10, 231 (1987).
- Lysaght, M., Vonesh, E., Ibels, L.: Declie of residual renal function in hemodialysis and CAPD patients: A risk adjusted growth-function analysis. XXVIth Congress of the European Dialysis and Transplant Association. Goteburg, Sweden, 1989, p. 103.
- Effects of residual renal function in haemodialysis patients
International Urology and Nephrology
Volume 26, Issue 1 , pp 125-131
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links