Criteria for assessing the trustworthiness of naturalistic inquiries
- Egon G. Guba
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This is the ninth ERIC/ECTJ Annual Review Paper, preparation of which was supported by the ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center) Clearinghouse on Information Resources, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York. The material in this article was prepared pursuant to a contract with the National Institute of Education, U.S. Department of Education. Contractors undertaking such projects under government sponsorship are encouraged to express freely their judgment in professional and technical matters. Points of view or opinions do not necessarily represent the official view or opinion of NIE. The author is grateful to David Clark, Larry Havlicek, Robert Heinich, John McLaughlin, Cecil Miskel, and Robert Wolf for their careful critique of an earlier version of 1his paper, and to his wife, Yvonna Lincoln, from whose joint work with the author in other contexts many of the ideas expressed in this paper emanated.
- Brunswik, E. Representative design and probabilistic theory in a functional psychology.Psychological Review, 1955,62, 193–217. CrossRef
- Campbell, D. T., & Stanley, J. C. Experimental and quasi-experimental designs for research on teaching. In N. L. Gage (Ed.),Handbook of research on teaching. Chicago, Ill.: Rand Mc-Nally, 1963.
- Cronbach, L. J. Beyond the two disciplines of scientific psychology.American Psychologist, 1975,30, 116–27. CrossRef
- Denzin, N. K. The logic of naturalistic inquiry. In Norman K. Denzin (Ed.),Sociological methods: A sourcebook. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1978.
- Douglas, J. D.Investigative social research. Beverly Hills, Calif.: Sage Publications, 1976.
- Eisner, E. W.The educational imagination. New York: Basic Books, 1979.
- Geertz, C.The interpretation of culture. New York: Basic Books, 1973.
- Glaser, B. G., & Strauss, A. L.The discovery of grounded theory. Chicago, Ill.: Aldine Publishing, 1967.
- Guba, E.G. Toward a methodology of naturalistic inquiry in educational evaluation.CSE monograph series in evaluation, No. 8. Los Angeles, Calif.: Center for the Study of Evaluation, UCLA, 1978.
- Guba, E. G. Naturalistic inquiry.Improving Human Performance Quarterly, 1979,8, 268–76.
- Guba, E. G., & Lincoln, Y. S.Effective evaluation. San Francisco, Calif.: Jossey-Bass, in press.
- Gulliksen, H.Theory of mental tests. New York: Wiley, 1950.
- Kaplan, A.The conduct of inquiry. San Francisco, Calif.: Chandler Publishing, 1964.
- Patton, M. Q.Qualitative evaluation methods. Beverly Hills, Calif.: Sage Publications, 1980.
- Polanyi, M.Personal knowledge. New York: Harper & Row, 1958.
- Reinharz, S.On becoming a social scientist. San Francisco, Calif.: Jossey-Bass, 1979.
- Ruby, J. Exposing yourself: Reflexivity, anthropology, and film.Semiotica, 1980,30, 153–79. CrossRef
- Schwen, T. M. Professional scholarship in educational technology: Criteria for judging inquiry.AV Communication Review, 1977,25, 5–24.
- Scriven, M. Objectivity and subjectivity in educational research. In Lawrence G. Thomas (Ed.),Philosophical redirection of educational research, 71st Yearbook of the National Society for the Study of Education, Part 1. Chicago, Ill.: University of Chicago Press, 1972.
- Scriven, M. Maximizing the power of causal investigations: The modus operandi method. In G. V. Glass (Ed.),Evaluation studies review annual, vol. 1. Beverly Hills, Calif.: Sage Publications, 1976.
- Spradley, J. P.The ethnographic interview. New York: Holt, Rinehart, & Winston, 1979.
- Stake, R. E.Evaluating the arts in education. Columbus, Ohio: Charles E. Merrill, 1975.
- Webb, E. J., Campbell, D. T., Schwartz, R. D., & Sechrest, L.Unobtrusive measures. Chicago, Ill.: Rand McNally, 1966.
- Wolf, R. L.An overview of conceptual and methodological issues in naturalistic evaluation. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, Calif.: April 1979.
- Wolf, R. L., & Tymitz, B. Toward more natural inquiry in education.CEDR Quarterly, 1977,10, 7–9.
- Zukav, G.The dancing Wu Li masters: An overview of the new physics. New York: Bantam, 1979.
- Criteria for assessing the trustworthiness of naturalistic inquiries
Volume 29, Issue 2 , pp 75-91
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Egon G. Guba (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Smith Research Center, Indiana University, 47405, Bloomington, IN