Shift-invariant spaces and linear operator equations
- Rong-Qing Jia
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we investigate the structure of finitely generated shift-invariant spaces and solvability of linear operator equations. Fourier trans-forms and semi-convolutions are used to characterize shift-invariant spaces. Criteria are provided for solvability of linear operator equations, including linear partial difference equations and discrete convolution equations. The results are then applied to the study of local shift-invariant spaces. Moreover, the approximation order of a local shift-invariant space is characterized under some mild conditions on the generators.
- C. de Boor,Topics in multivariate approximation theory, inTopics in Numerical Analysis (P. Turner, ed.), Lecture Notes in Mathematics965, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1982, pp. 39–78. CrossRef
- C. de Boor,The polynomials in the linear span of integer translates of a compactly supported function, Constructive Approximation3 (1987), 199–208. CrossRef
- C. de Boor, R. DeVore and A. Ron,Approximation from shift-invariant subspaces of L 2 (ℝ d ), Transactions of the American Mathematical Society341 (1994), 787–806. CrossRef
- C. de Boor, R. DeVore and A. Ron,The structure of finitely generated shift-invariant subspaces in L 2 (ℝ d ), Journal of Functional Analysis119 (1994), 37–78. CrossRef
- W. Dahmen and C. A. Micchelli,Translates of multivariate splines, Linear Algebra and its Applications52 (1983), 217–234.
- L. Ehrenpreis,Fourier Analysis in Several Complex Variables, Tracts in Mathematics17, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1970.
- G. B. Folland,Real Analysis, Wiley, New York, 1984.
- H. Helson,Lectures on Invariant Subspaces, Academic Press, New York, 1964.
- R. Q. Jia,The Toeplitz theorem and its applications to Approximation Theory and linear PDE’s, Transactions of the American Mathematical Society347 (1995), 2585–2594. CrossRef
- R. Q. Jia,Refinable shift-invariant spaces: from splines to wavelets, inApproximation Theory VIII, Vol. 2 (C. K. Chui and L. L. Schumaker, eds.), Word Scientific Publishing Co., Inc., 1995, pp. 179–208.
- R. Q. Jia,Shift-invariant spaces on the real line, Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society125 (1997), 785–793. CrossRef
- R. Q. Jia and J. J. Lei,Approximation by multiinteger translates of functions having global support, Journal of Approximation Theory72 (1993), 2–23. CrossRef
- R. Q. Jia and C. A. Micchelli,On linear independence of integer translates of a finite number of functions, Proceedings of the Edinburgh Mathematical Society36 (1992), 69–85. CrossRef
- R. Q. Jia and C. A. Micchelli,Using the refinement equation for the construction of pre-wavelets II: Powers of two, inCurves and Surfaces (P. J. Laurent, A. Le Méhauté and L. L. Schumaker, eds.), Academic Press, New York, 1991, pp. 209–246.
- R. Q. Jia, S. Riemenschneider and Z. W. Shen,Solvability of systems of linear operator equations, Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society120 (1994), 815–824. CrossRef
- J. J. Lei, R. Q. Jia and E. W. Cheney,Approximation from shift-invariant spaces by integral operators, SIAM Journal of Mathematical Analysis28 (1997), 481–498. CrossRef
- A. Ron,A characterization of the approximation order of multivariate spline spaces, Studia Mathematica98 (1991), 73–90.
- M. Schechter,Principles of Functional Analysis, Academic Press, New York, 1971.
- I. J. Schoenberg,Contributions to the problem of approximation of equidistant data by analytic functions, Quarterly of Applied Mathematics4 (1946), 45–99, 112–141.
- G. Strang and G. Fix,A Fourier analysis of the finite-element variational method, inConstructive Aspects of Functional Analysis (G. Geymonat, ed.), C.I.M.E., 1973, pp. 793–840.
- Shift-invariant spaces and linear operator equations
Israel Journal of Mathematics
Volume 103, Issue 1 , pp 259-288
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Rong-Qing Jia (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, University of Alberta, T6G 2G1, Edmonton, Canada