Homology of free Lie powers and torsion in groups
- Ralph Stöhr
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
LetG be a group that is given by a free presentationG=F/R, and letγ4 R denote the fourth term of the lower central series of R. We show that ifG has no elements of order 2, then the torsion subgroup of the free central extensionF/[γ4 R,F] can be identified with the homology groupR γ6(G, ℤ/2ℤ). This is a consequence of our main result which refers to the homology ofG with coefficients in Lie powers of relation modules.
- K. S. Brown,Cohomology of Groups, Springer, Berlin, 1982.
- C. K. Gupta,The free centre-by-metabelian groups, J. Austral. Math. Soc.16 (1973), 294–300. CrossRef
- T. Hannebauer and R. Stöhr,Homology of groups with coefficients in free metabelian Lie powers and exterior powers of relation modules and applications to group theory, Proceedings Second International Group Theory Conf. Bressanone 1989, Rend. Circ. Mat. Palermo (2) Suppl.23 (1990), 77–113.
- B. Hartley and R. Stöhr,Homology of higher relation modules and torsion in free central extensions of groups, Proc. London Math. Soc. (3)62 (1991), 325–352. CrossRef
- B. Hartley and R. Stöhr,A note on the homology of free abelianized extensions, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc.,113 (1991), 923–932. CrossRef
- L. G. Kovasc, Yu. V. Kuz'min and R. Stöhr,Homology of free abelianized extensions, Mat. Sb.182 (1991), 526–542 (in Russian).
- Yu. V. Kuz'min,On elements of finite order in free groups of some varieties, Mat. Sb.119 (1982), 119–131 (in Russian).
- Yu. V. Kuz'min,Homology theory of free abelianized extensions, Comm. Algebra16 (1988), 2447–2534. CrossRef
- W. Magnus, A. Karrass and D. Solitar,Combinatorial Group Theory, Dover, New York, 1976.
- R. Stöhr,On torsion in free central extensions of some torsion-free groups, J. Pure Appl. Algebra46 (1987), 249–289. CrossRef
- R. Stöhr,Homology of metabelian Lie powers and torsion in relatively free groups, Quart. J. Math. (Oxford),43 (1992), 361–380. CrossRef
- R. Zerck,On the homology of the higher relation modules, J. Pure Appl. Algebra58 (1989), 305–320. CrossRef
- Homology of free Lie powers and torsion in groups
Israel Journal of Mathematics
Volume 84, Issue 1-2 , pp 65-87
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Ralph Stöhr (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, UMIST, M60 1QD, Manchester, England