Metabolic syndrome and leptin concentrations in obese children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Obesity and its complications including metabolic syndrome has been increased in children and adolescents recently. Leptin is known to play an important role in the pathogenesis of obesity.
The objective of this study was to evaluate the relationship of leptin and metabolic syndrome in obese Iranian children. A cross sectional study was carried out in 65 primary schools in Tehran. The children with waist circumferences equal or above 90th percentile for their height and age were chosen for further evaluations. 505 children aged 7–12 years participated in the study. Anthropometric variables measurements, blood pressure, fasting plasma glucose, triglyceride, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and serum leptin were obtained from the study sample.
Serum leptin levels were significantly higher in girls in comparison to the boys (with median 11.0 Vs 8.25 ng/dl; P value =0.007). Serum level of leptin were higher in children with metabolic syndrome (median 11.3 Vs 8.9 ng/dl; P value=0.045). However, after adjustment for sex, this association was removed.
Leptin did not appear to have a major role in metabolic syndrome, even though it was strongly associated with obesity parameters. More studies evaluating the relationship between leptin and metabolic syndrome in various ethnic groups are recommended.
- Moreno LA, Pineda I, Rodriguez Get al. Leptin and metabolic syndrome in obese and non-obese children.Horn Metab Res 2002; 34: 394–399. CrossRef
- Chu NF, Wang DJ, Shieh SMet al. Plasma leptin concentrations and obesity in relation to insulin resistance syndrome components among school children in Taiwan-The Taipi Children Heart Study.Int J Obesity 2000; 24: 1265–1271. CrossRef
- Weiss R, Dziura J, Burget TSet al. Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents.N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 2362–2374. CrossRef
- Steinberger J, Steffen L, Jacobs DRet al. Relation of leptin to insulin resistance syndrome in children.Obes Res 2003; 11: 1124–1130. CrossRef
- Erturk E, Kuru N, Savci Vet al. Serum leptin levels correlate with obesity parameters but not with hyperinsulinism in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Fertil Steril 2004; 82: 1364–1368. CrossRef
- Christos S, Mantzoros. The role of leptin in human obesity and disease: A review of current evidence.Ann Intern Med 1999; 130: 671–680.
- Valle M, Gascon F, Martos Ret al. Relationship between high plasma leptin concentrations and metabolic syndrome in obese pre-pubertal children.Int J Obesity 2003; 27: 13–18. CrossRef
- Cole TJ, Blezzi MC, Flegal KMet al. Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: International survey.BMJ 2000; 320: 1240–1243. CrossRef
- Cruz ML, Goran MI. The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents.Curr Diabetes Reports 2004; 4: 53–62. CrossRef
- Lipid Research Clinivs: Population Studies Data Book, Vol 1. The prevalence study. Bethesda, MD, Department of Health and human services, Publication (NIH) 80-1527.
- Chen W, Srinivasan SR, Li S. Metabolic syndrome variables at low levels in childhood are beneficially associated with adulthood cardiovascular risk.Diabetes Care 2005; 28: 126–131. CrossRef
- Remesar X, Rafecas I, Fernandez-Lopez JAet al. Is leptin an insulin counter-regulatory hormone? FEBS letters 1997; 402: 9–11. CrossRef
- Sudi K, Gallistl S, Trobunger Met al. Insulin and insulin resistance index are not independent determinants for the variation in leptin in obese children and adolescents.J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2000; 13: 923–932.
- Zimmet P, Hodge A, Nicolson Met al. Serum leptin concentration, obesity, and insulin resistance in Western Samoas: cross sectional study.BMJ 1996; 13: 965–969.
- Shimabukuro M, Koyama K, Chen Get al. Direct antidiabetic effect of leptin through triglyceride depletion of tissue.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1997; 94: 4637–4641. CrossRef
- Park HS, Lee MS, Park JY. Leptin and the metabolic syndrome in Korean adolescents: Factor analysis.Ped Int 2004; 46: 697–703. CrossRef
- Nishina M, Kikuchi T, Yamazaki Het al. Relationship among systolic blood pressure, serum insulin and leptin, and visceral fat accumulation in obese children.Hypertens Res 2003; 26: 281–288. CrossRef
- Chu NF, Wang DJ, Shieh SM. Obesity, leptin and blood pressure among children in Taiwan: The Taipei children’s heart study.AJH 2001; 14: 135–140.
- Leyva F, Godsland IF, Ghatei Met al Hyperleptinemia as a component of a metabolic syndrome of cardiovascular risk.Artherioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1998; 18: 928–933.
- Metabolic syndrome and leptin concentrations in obese children
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 73, Issue 7 , pp 593-596
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Metabolic syndrome
- Childhood obesity
- Industry Sectors