Quantitative detection of interleukin 8 gene expression in lung cancer by real—time polymerase chain reaction
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To develop a method for absolute quantification of interleukin 8 (IL—8) mRNA by using real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
The IL —8 mRNA and protein expression in 2 human lung cancer cell lines, H460 and A549, were evaluated by real-time PCR and ELISA. The IL-8 mRNA expression in 9 cases of normal lung tissue and 44 cases of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) were examined.
The IL—8 mRNA copy number in a given sample can be measured by real-time PCR. The gene expression of IL—8 is correlated with its protein secretion. The normalized value of IL—8 expression was 4.87±1.69 (copies/ 104 GAPDH copies) in normal lung tissue and 17.04 ±23.96 in NSCLC, respectively. The difference between these two groups is statistically significant (P=0.002). Using 9.74 and 19.48 as cut-off points for positive expression and overexpression of IL—8, 52.3%(23/44cases) of NSCLC were found to express an increased level of IL-8, among which 29.5% (13/ 44cases) were defined as positive expression and 22.7%(10/44cases) as overexpression. Statistical analysis indicated that IL—8 overexpression was significantly increased in female cancers, squamous carcinoma, and in late stages of disease (P<0.05).
The IL—8 gene expression can be determined by a real-time PCR technique. IL -8 overexpression is correlated with gender, histopathology and stages of the disease.
- Yuan, A, Yang, PC, Yu, CJ (2000) Interleukin-8 messenger ribonucleic acid expression correlates with tumor progression, tumor angiogenesis, patient survival, arid timing of relapse in non -small cell lung cancer. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 162: pp. 1957-1957
- Bustin, SA (2000) Absolute quantification of mRNA using real —time reverse transcription polymerase chain assay. J Mol Endocrinol. 25: pp. 169-169 CrossRef
- Yuan, A, Yu, CJ, Luh, KT (2002) Aberrant p53 expression correlates with expression of vascular endothelial growth factor mRNA and interleukin -8 mRNA and neoangiogenesis in non -small cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 20: pp. 900-900 CrossRef
- Chen, JJ, Yao, PL, Yuan, A (2003) Up-regulation of tumor interleukin -8 expression by infiltrating macrophages: its correlation with tumor angiogenesis and patient survial in non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 9: pp. 729-729
- Kitadai, Y, Haruma, K, Mukaida, N (2000) Regulation of disease-progression genes in human gastric carcinoma cells by interleukin 8. Clin Cancer Res. 6: pp. 2735-2735
- Heidemannn, J, Ogawa, H, Dwinell, MB (2003) Angiogenic effects of interleukin 8 (CXCL8) in human intestinal microvascular endothelial cells are mediated by CXCR2. J Bio Chem. 278: pp. 8508-8508 CrossRef
- Inoue, K, Wood, CG, Slaton, JW (2001) Adenoviral-mediated gene therapy of human bladder cancer with antisense inlerleukin-8. Oncol Rep. 8: pp. 955-955
- Huang, S, Mills, L, Mian, B (2002) Fully humanized neutralizing antibodies to interleukin-8 (ABX-IL8) inhibit angiogenesis, tumor growth, and metastasis of human melanoma. Am J Pathol. 161: pp. 125-125
- Quantitative detection of interleukin 8 gene expression in lung cancer by real—time polymerase chain reaction
Chinese Journal of Clinical Oncology
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 126-130
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Chinese Anti-Cancer Association
- Additional Links
- interleukin 8
- real-time PCR
- lung neoplasms
- non-small cell lung carcinoma