Quantitative detection of interleukin 8 gene expression in lung cancer by real—time polymerase chain reaction
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To develop a method for absolute quantification of interleukin 8 (IL—8) mRNA by using real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
The IL —8 mRNA and protein expression in 2 human lung cancer cell lines, H460 and A549, were evaluated by real-time PCR and ELISA. The IL-8 mRNA expression in 9 cases of normal lung tissue and 44 cases of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) were examined.
The IL—8 mRNA copy number in a given sample can be measured by real-time PCR. The gene expression of IL—8 is correlated with its protein secretion. The normalized value of IL—8 expression was 4.87±1.69 (copies/ 104 GAPDH copies) in normal lung tissue and 17.04 ±23.96 in NSCLC, respectively. The difference between these two groups is statistically significant (P=0.002). Using 9.74 and 19.48 as cut-off points for positive expression and overexpression of IL—8, 52.3%(23/44cases) of NSCLC were found to express an increased level of IL-8, among which 29.5% (13/ 44cases) were defined as positive expression and 22.7%(10/44cases) as overexpression. Statistical analysis indicated that IL—8 overexpression was significantly increased in female cancers, squamous carcinoma, and in late stages of disease (P<0.05).
The IL—8 gene expression can be determined by a real-time PCR technique. IL -8 overexpression is correlated with gender, histopathology and stages of the disease.
- Yuan A, Yang PC, Yu CJ, et al. Interleukin-8 messenger ribonucleic acid expression correlates with tumor progression, tumor angiogenesis, patient survival, arid timing of relapse in non -small cell lung cancer. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000;162:1957.
- Bustin SA. Absolute quantification of mRNA using real —time reverse transcription polymerase chain assay. J Mol Endocrinol. 2000; 25:169 CrossRef
- Yuan A, Yu CJ, Luh KT, et al. Aberrant p53 expression correlates with expression of vascular endothelial growth factor mRNA and interleukin -8 mRNA and neoangiogenesis in non -small cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2002; 20:900. CrossRef
- Chen JJ, Yao PL, Yuan A, et al. Up-regulation of tumor interleukin -8 expression by infiltrating macrophages: its correlation with tumor angiogenesis and patient survial in non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2003; 9:729.
- Kitadai Y, Haruma K, Mukaida N, et al. Regulation of disease-progression genes in human gastric carcinoma cells by interleukin 8. Clin Cancer Res. 2000. 6: 2735.
- Heidemannn J, Ogawa H, Dwinell MB, et al. Angiogenic effects of interleukin 8 (CXCL8) in human intestinal microvascular endothelial cells are mediated by CXCR2. J Bio Chem. 2003; 278:8508. CrossRef
- Inoue K, Wood CG, Slaton JW, et al. Adenoviral-mediated gene therapy of human bladder cancer with antisense inlerleukin-8. Oncol Rep. 2001; 8: 955.
- Huang S, Mills L, Mian B, et al. Fully humanized neutralizing antibodies to interleukin-8 (ABX-IL8) inhibit angiogenesis, tumor growth, and metastasis of human melanoma. Am J Pathol. 2002;161: 125.
- Quantitative detection of interleukin 8 gene expression in lung cancer by real—time polymerase chain reaction
Chinese Journal of Clinical Oncology
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 126-130
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Chinese Anti-Cancer Association
- Additional Links
- interleukin 8
- real-time PCR
- lung neoplasms
- non-small cell lung carcinoma