On some Λ-analytic pro-p groups
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper is devoted to the first steps towards a systematic study of pro-p groups which are analytic over a commutative Noetherian local pro-p ring Λ, e.g. Λ= . We restrict our attention to Λ-standard groups, which are pro-p groups arising from a formal group defined over Λ. Under some additional assumptions we show that these groups are of ‘intermediate growth’ in various senses, strictly betweenp-adic analytic pro-p groups and free pro-p groups. This suggests a refinement of Lazard's theory which stresses the dichotomy betweenp-adic analytic pro-p groups and all the others. In the course of the discussion we answer a question posed in [LM1], and settle two conjectures from [Bo].
- [AM] M.F. Atiyah and I.G. Macdonald,Introduction to Commutative Algebra, Addison-Wesley, Massachusetts, 1969.
- [B1] H. Behr,Finite presentability of arithmetic groups over global function fields, Proc. Edinburgh Math. Soc.30 (1987), 23–39. CrossRef
- [B2] H. Behr,Arithmetic groups over function fields, preprint.
- [Be] A.E. Bereznyi,Discrete subexponential groups, J. Soviet Math.28 (1985), 570–579. CrossRef
- [Bo] N. Boston,Explicit deformation of Galois representations, Invent. Math.103 (1991), 181–196. CrossRef
- [B] N. Bourbaki,Lie Groups and Lie Algebras, Chapters 1–3, Springer, Berlin, 1980.
- [DDMS] J. Dixon, M.P.F. du Sautoy, A. Mann and D. Segal,Analytic pro-p groups, London Math. Soc. Lecture Note Series, 157, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1991.
- [G] R.I. Grigorchuk,On the Hilbert-Poincaré series of graded algebras associated with groups, Math. USSR Sbornik66 (1990), 211–229. CrossRef
- [H] M. Hazewinkel,Formal Groups and Applications, Academic Press, New York, 1978.
- [I] I. Ilani,Counting finite index subgroups and the P. Hall enumeration principle, Israel J. Math.68 (1989), 18–26.
- [J] N. Jacobson,Lie Algebras, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1962.
- [K] Koch,Zum Satz von Golod-Safarevic, Math. Nachr.42 (1969), 321–333. CrossRef
- [La] M. Lazard,Groupes analytiques p-adiques, Publ. Math. I.H.E.S.26 (1965), 389–603.
- [LGSW] C.R. Leedham-Green, A. Shalev and A. Weiss,Reflections on the Nottingham group, in preparation.
- [Lu1] A. Lubotzky, Groups presentations, p-adic analytic groups and lattices in SL2(ℂ). Ann. Math.118 (1983), 115–130. CrossRef
- [Lu2] A. Lubotzky,A group theoretic characterization of linear groups, J. Algebra113 (1988), 207–214. CrossRef
- [LM1] A. Lubotzky and A. Mann,Powerful p-groups. I,II., J. Algebra105 (1987), 484–505 and 506–515. CrossRef
- [LM2] A. Lubotzky and A. Mann,On groups of polynomial subgroup growth, Invent. Math.104 (1991), 521–533. CrossRef
- [M] B. Mazur,Deforming Galois representations, inGalois Groups over ℚ, MSRI Publ. no. 16 (Y. Ihara, K. Ribet and J.-P. Serre, eds.), 1989, pp. 385–437.
- [Pa] D.S. Passman,The Algebraic Structure of Group Rings (new edition), Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1985.
- [Pr] G. Prasad,Strong approximation for semi-simple groups over function fields, Ann. Math.105 (1977), 553–572. CrossRef
- [Ra] M.S. Raghunathan,On the congruence subgroup problem, Publ. Math. I.H.E.S.46 (1976), 107–161.
- [R] N.S. Romanovskii,A generalized theorem on freedom for pro-p groups, Sib. Math. J.27 (1986), 267–280. CrossRef
- [Se] D. Segal,Subgroups of finite index in soluble groups I, inProc. Groups—St Andrews 1985, London Math. Soc. Lecture Note Series, No. 121, pp. 307–314, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1986.
- [SS] D. Segal and A. Shalev,Groups with fractionally exponential subgroup growth, J. Pure Appl. Algebra, to appear.
- [S] J.-P. Serre,Lie groups and Lie algebras (new edition), Lecture Notes in Math. 1500, Springer, Berlin, 1991.
- [Sh] A. Shalev,Growth functions, p-adic analytic groups, and groups of finite coclass, J. London Math. Soc.46 (1992), 111–122. CrossRef
- [St] R.P. Stanley,Hilbert functions of graded algebras, Adv. in Math.28 (1978), 57–83. CrossRef
- [We] B. Weisfeiler,Strong approximation for Zariski-dense subgroups of semisimple algebraic groups, Ann. Math.120 (1984), 271–315. CrossRef
- [W] J.S. Wilson,Finite presentations of pro-p groups and discrete groups, Invent. Math.105 (1991), 177–183. CrossRef
- [WZ] J.S. Wilson and E.I. Zelmanov,Identities for Lie algebras of pro-p groups, J. Pure Appl. Algebra,81 (1992) 103–109. CrossRef
- [Y] I.O. York,The ring of formal power series under substitution, Ph.D. thesis, Nottingham University, 1990.
- [Zu] A. Zubkov,Non-abelian free pro-p groups cannot be represented by 2-by-2 matrices, Sib. Math. J.28 (1987), 742–747. CrossRef
- On some Λ-analytic pro-p groups
Israel Journal of Mathematics
Volume 85, Issue 1-3 , pp 307-337
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors