Antiretroviral drugs in pediatrics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The advent of potent drugs to treat HIV and the development of increasingly effective treatment strategies have resulted in dramatic improvements in the prognosis and quality of life for HIV-infected children. The purpose of this article is to provide the primary care physicians with practical information on antiretroviral drugs that are currently used for the treatment of pediatric HIV infection.
- Working Group on Antiretroviral Agents in Pediatric HIV Infection. Guidelines for the use of antiretroviral agents in pediatric HIV infection. January 7, 2000. Website: http://www.hivatis.org
- Cohen-Stuart JW, Slieker WA, Rijkers GTet al. Early recovery of CD4+T lymphocytes in children on highly active antiretroviral therapy.AIDS 1998;2:2155–2159. CrossRef
- Watson DC, Farley JJ. Efficacy of and adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy in children infected with human immunodeficiency virus type 1.Pediatr Infect Dis J 1999;18:682–689. CrossRef
- Krogstad P, Wiznia A, Luzuriaga Ket al. Treatment of human immunodeficiency virus 1-infected infants and children with the protease inhibitor nelfinavir mesylate.Clin Infect Dis 1999;28:1109–1118. CrossRef
- Starr SE, Fletcher CV, Spector SAet al. Combination therapy with efavirenz, nelfinavir, and nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitors in children infected with human immunodeficiency virus type 1.N Engl J Med 1999;341:1874–1881. CrossRef
- de Martino M, Tovo P, Balducci Met al. Reduction in mortality with availability of antiretroviral therapy for children with perinatal HIV-1 infection.JAMA 2000; 284:190–197. CrossRef
- Nachman S, Stanley K, Yogev Ret al. Nucleoside analogs plus ritonavir in stable antiretroviral therapy-experienced HIV-infected children: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA 2000;283:492–498. CrossRef
- Connor EM, Sperling RS, Gelber Ret al. Reduction of maternal-infant transmission of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 with zidovudine treatment.N Engl J Med 1994;331:1173–1180. CrossRef
- Shaffer N, Chuachoowong R, Mock PAet al. Shortcourse zidovudine for perinatal HIV-1 transmission in Bangkok, Thailand: a randomised controlled trial.Lancet 1999;353:773–780. CrossRef
- Brinkman K, ter Hofstede HJ, Burger DM, Smeitink JA, Koopmans PP Adverse effect of reverse transcriptase inhibitors: mitochondrial toxicity as a common pathway.AIDS 1998;12:1735–1744. CrossRef
- Fischl M, Greenberg S, Clumeck Net al. Safety and activity of abacavir with 3TC/ZDV in antiretroviralnaïve subjects [abstract 127/12230]. Presented at: The 12th World AIDS Conference; June 28-July 3, 1998; Geneva, Switzerland.
- Kline MW, Blanchard S, Fletcher CVet al. A phase I study of abacavir (1592U89) alone and in combination with other antiretroviral, agents in infants and children with human immunodeficiency virus infection.Pediatrics 1999;103:e47. CrossRef
- Guay LA, Musoke P, Fleming Tet al. Intrapartum and neonatal single-dose nevirapine compared with zidovudine for prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1 in Kampala, Uganda: HIVNET 012 randomised trial.Lancet 1999;354:795–802.
- Cadman J. Efavirenz pregnancy warning.Treatment Issues 1998;12:No 3.
- Carr A, Samaras K, Burton Set al. A syndrome of peripheral lipodystrophy, hyperlipidaemia and insulin resistance in patients receiving protease inhibitors.AIDS 1998;12:F51-F58. CrossRef
- Tsiodras S, Mantzoros C, Hammer S, Samore M. Effects of protease inhibitors on hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia, and lipodystrophy: a 5-year cohort study.Arch Intern Med. 2000;160:2050–2056. CrossRef
- Jaquet D, Lévine M, Ortega-Rodriguez Eet al. Clinical and metabolic presentation of lipodystrophic syndrome in HIV-infected children.AIDS 2000;14:2123–2128. CrossRef
- Wiznia A, Stanley K, Krogstad Pet al. Combination nucleoside analogues plus nelfinavir, nevirapine or ritonavir in stable antiretroviral therapy-experienced HIV-infected children [Abstract 697]. Presented at: The 7th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; January 30–February 2, 2000; San Francisco, USA.
- Hsu A, Granneman G, Chen Set al. Assessment of single- and multiple-dose interactions between ritonavir and saquinavir [abstract LB.B.6041]. Presented at: XIII International AIDS Conference; July 9–14, 2000; Durban, South Africa.
- Van Heeswijk R, Veldkemp A, Hoetelmans Ret al. The steady-state plasma pharmacokinetics of indinavir alone and in combination with a low dose of ritonavir in twice daily dosing regimens in HIV-1-infected individuals.AIDS 1999;13:F95-F99. CrossRef
- Kopp JB, Miller KD, Mican JAet al. Crystalluria and urinary tract abnormalities associated with indinavir.Ann Intern Med 1997;127:119–125.
- Mueller BU, Sleasman J, Nelson RPet al. A phase I/II study of the protease inhibitor indinavir in children with HIV infection.Pediatrics 1998;102:101–109. CrossRef
- Reiter WJ, Schon-Pernerstorfer H, Dorfinger K, Hofbauer J, Marberger M. Frequency of urolithiasis in individuals seropositive for human immunodeficiency virus treated with indinavir is higher than previously assumed.J Urol 1999;161:1082–1084. CrossRef
- Church J, Rathore M, Rubio Tet al. A phase III study of amprenavir in protease-inhibitor-naïve and-experienced HIV-infected children and adolescents. Presented at: The 7th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; January 30–February 2, 2000; San Francisco, USA.
- Schmidt B, Korn K, Moschik Bet al. Low level of crossresistance to amprenavir (141W94) in samples from patients pretreated with other protease inhibitors. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2000; 44:3213–3216. CrossRef
- Hsu A, Isaacson J, Kempf Det al. Trough concentation-EC50 relationship as a predictor of viral response for ABT-378/ritonavir in treatment-experienced patients [abstract 171]. Presented at: The 40th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agent and Chemotherapy; September 17–20, 2000; Toronto, Canada.
- Antiretroviral drugs in pediatrics
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 68, Issue 7 , pp 641-647
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors